bstu27

Have to get some work done......

Hey all......so week before last I stopped at the shop where I both store and have service I can't do on my 1930SS. Had to drop off a set of keys so they could get her winterized while I spent a week in sunny Cabo San Lucas. Upon arrival I noticed a small pool of outdrive oil on the floor. I had some seal work done in June 2013 and the tech said he'd verify it wasn't related to that work as they'd likely cover that under warranty. Come to find out, it's of course not related and my issue now is that I have a shift shaft seal that's gone bad. Tech said the outdrive will have to come off to replace that seal. My question........what else should I have them do (or check) while the outdrive is off?

Hey all......so week before last I stopped at the shop where I both store and have service I can't do on my 1930SS. Had to drop off a set of keys so they could get her winterized while I spent a week in sunny Cabo San Lucas. Upon arrival I noticed a small pool of outdrive oil on the floor. I had some seal work done in June 2013 and the tech said he'd verify it wasn't related to that work as they'd likely cover that under warranty. Come to find out, it's of course not related and my issue now is that I have a shift shaft seal that's gone bad. Tech said the outdrive will have to come off to replace that seal. My question........what else should I have them do (or check) while the outdrive is off?

They have to pull the bearing carriers to reseal the drive so have them do an internal inspection of all gears and bearings, inspect the small bearing in the top cover of the drive as they are prone to pitting from moisture, and have them replace all 7 internal seals and throw a water pump impeller in her. Repair should be followed by a full pressure/vacuum test. W

What is the risk of just leaving it and topping up the gear oil once a month?

If oil can get out as the internal temperature and corresponding pressure rises during operation, then water can get in as soon as the load is removed and the drive cools, creating a vacuum. This is why suspect drives are both pressure and vacuum tested before being returned to service. Also not responsible stewardship of our waterway to allow avoidable oil pollution as gear oils are loaded with environmentally objectionable heavy metals. W

oil and Water do not mix.

True, but marine gear oils have emulsifiers to help them mix to not rust the gears.