acarter937

Drain fresh water tank?

My wife is very very concerned about the water in the fresh water tank. So next season she wants to clean it until she feels good about it. My question is, how do you drain the entire take? i am sure she will fill it and drain it a few times.

You do drain the tank & lines & sink trap for the winter ?

Not yet... I have not take the boat home yet. Still at the dealer until Spring

Terrific article. :):)

I bring the drinking water & mixed drink water aboard in cold 5 gallon sterilized jugs. Keep them in the large cooler with ice.

To drain the fresh water tank you can disconnect the water fitting at the bottom of the tank, but then all the water will flow into the bilge. The other way to empty it is to run the pump. I use the shower on the stern and take the shower head off. This seems to work best. In the spring I use Camco Fresh Tabs to treat the water I put in the tank, NOT BLEACH. When filling also use a white hose and an in-line filter. The reason I recommend not using bleach is the it can be hard on the seals in the water pump and cause them to fail and leak. We do not drink the water from the tank, always bring fresh water to cook and drink. The Fresh Tabs will keep the water in the tank from getting that rotten egg smell.

To drain the fresh water tank you can disconnect the water fitting at the bottom of the tank, but then all the water will flow into the bilge. The other way to empty it is to run the pump. I use the shower on the stern and take the shower head off. This seems to work best. In the spring I use Camco Fresh Tabs to treat the water I put in the tank, NOT BLEACH. When filling also use a white hose and an in-line filter. The reason I recommend not using bleach is the it can be hard on the seals in the water pump and cause them to fail and leak. We do not drink the water from the tank, always bring fresh water to cook and drink. The Fresh Tabs will keep the water in the tank from getting that rotten egg smell.

Thank you, that is what I needed to know. I would guess that you insert the fresh taps in the fill port?

That is right, just drop the fresh tabs down the fill port. I think it takes 1 per 10 gallons.

I have another newbie question. Does the wast water from the sinks and shower go to the holding tank or is it automatically pumped off of the boat.

My guess is that on your boat it drains out the side of the boat. Probably the only thing going to the waste holding tank is the toilet. The shower will go to a sump pump located by the stairs and is pumped overboard. There is a possibility that it could be plumbed different since some lakes require that nothing is dumped overboard. In that case the sinks and shower all go to the sump and are pumped to the holding tank. On the newer cruisers like mine they drain to the sump and then it is pumped overboard, makes it easier to convert on those lakes that require it and fewer thru-hulls.

I'm a newbie and, as noted in several posts, there is not a decent manual that explains how to do much of anything.  I have questions on the fresh water tank as well.  I believe that when the boat was delivered (information overload), we were told to run fresh water through the fill port until all the "blue liquid" ran out.  Well, I'm missing something because nothing is coming out of any of the sprayers.  I tried to add fresh water through the fill port.  Still, nothing.  Something was mentioned above about a pump?  What pump?  Is it for the fresh water tank?  Any guidance would be wonderful. Thanks!

2 hours ago, LakeLady said:

I'm a newbie and, as noted in several posts, there is not a decent manual that explains how to do much of anything.  I have questions on the fresh water tank as well.  I believe that when the boat was delivered (information overload), we were told to run fresh water through the fill port until all the "blue liquid" ran out.  Well, I'm missing something because nothing is coming out of any of the sprayers.  I tried to add fresh water through the fill port.  Still, nothing.  Something was mentioned above about a pump?  What pump?  Is it for the fresh water tank?  Any guidance would be wonderful. Thanks!

What boat do you have?

There is a small pump by the water tank. It pulls water from the bottom of your water tank and pumps it to the water heater (if you have one) and to all the faucets and sprayers. Make sure the pump switch is turned on. I have a 2008 280 and the switch is located in the storage shelf in the galley on the starboard side. Not sure where your switch is located but it has to have one. I turn my pump off when not in use - no reason to pressurize the tank, espcially if something leaks.

i pumped the "anti freeze stuff" through all the faucets and showers,   filled it up with fresh water and went through the cycle about 5 times.   Added "bleach" on the last 3 times.  (i now know not to put bleach in there. Thanks MPM).    Wife still won't drink it ,or even use it to wash her hands.   You would think we got the water imported from Flint, Michigan or something.     We have brought drinkable water to the boat the few times we have been out.    After these last 14 days of rain we could have just left buckets out and collected rain water.  (although i think we have a tax on that in md) 

acarter937 - I have a 2015 Chaparral Sunesta Sport Deck.  I think it is either 24 or 26'.  Your boat is magnificent!

bschuster - thanks, I will try to locate that switch.  I only just discovered where the tank was.  It's like hide and seek.  :) 

kwood92 - HA!  Water imported from Flint.  Good one.  I'm not sure we will use it for drinking, but it will be nice to have to wash hand, spray off spills, etc.  In a pinch, if we HAD to drink it, it is nice to know it is there.

Thanks y'all for your feedback!

6 hours ago, LakeLady said:

acarter937 - I have a 2015 Chaparral Sunesta Sport Deck.  I think it is either 24 or 26'.  Your boat is magnificent!

bschuster - thanks, I will try to locate that switch.  I only just discovered where the tank was.  It's like hide and seek.  :) 

kwood92 - HA!  Water imported from Flint.  Good one.  I'm not sure we will use it for drinking, but it will be nice to have to wash hand, spray off spills, etc.  In a pinch, if we HAD to drink it, it is nice to know it is there.

Thanks y'all for your feedback!

If yours is like mine the pump switch is on the dash. Water tank down in the center ski locker, fill opening is in front of the drivers windshield.

On a side note Aaron, I don't think I'd use that spot for a grill.. The gas filler is on that side just under the grill..  I know it's the best spot but seems to be a disaster waiting to happen.

Aaron,   

How is that grill?    What size did you get?   Thinking of grabbing one for the summer.       How is yours attached?

12 hours ago, Scottbrown312 said:

On a side note Aaron, I don't think I'd use that spot for a grill.. The gas filler is on that side just under the grill..  I know it's the best spot but seems to be a disaster waiting to happen.

Good point

10 hours ago, Kwood92 said:

Aaron,   

How is that grill?    What size did you get?   Thinking of grabbing one for the summer.       How is yours attached?

It's the kettle 2 original size. We like it a lot. I used the rod mount holder.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 11:40 AM, mpm330 said:

That is right, just drop the fresh tabs down the fill port. I think it takes 1 per 10 gallons.

can I ask a dumb question? where do you fill the fresh water tank from?  

1 hour ago, Ernie330 said:

can I ask a dumb question? where do you fill the fresh water tank from?  

Starboard side next to the waste pump out.

starboard side

It is my understanding that Fresh Tabs are no longer made. To bad.

3 hours ago, mpm330 said:

It is my understanding that Fresh Tabs are no longer made. To bad.

What do you use now, Mike?  I've been using a very small amount of bleach once or twice per year.  Surely there's a good replacement for the tabs?  I don't drink ours, either.

I will have to use bleach next time now that I am out of the tabs.