acarter937

Change?

Spring or Fall?   41 members have voted

1. 1. When do you change your engine and drive oils?

• End of season druring winterizing.
    • During Spring start up.
    • What oil??

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Always in the fall. By-products of combustion combine with free moisture in used motor oil and create acids that will attack the lead iridium coating on the rod, main, and cam bearings. Drive oil gets changed too because if moisture is found during the drain down, you have all winter to get the thing fixed. W

Always in the fall. By-products of combustion combine with free moisture in used motor oil and create acids that will attack the lead iridium coating on the rod, main, and cam bearings. Drive oil gets changed too because if moisture is found during the drain down, you have all winter to get the thing fixed. W

I do not disagree with you but i have another point of view. The oil sitting in the units will be exposed to moisture due to temp flux and any leaking seals in the drives if the boat is kept in the water, also that oil is now 5 to 6 months old. Would it be better to start with fresh oil each season?

wing nut is right, it's proper to do it in the fall. But I find that no matter how much I want to do it in the fall, I never seem to get to it in time. So it often gets done in the spring. Call me lazy!

I do not disagree with you but i have another point of view. The oil sitting in the units will be exposed to moisture due to temp flux and any leaking seals in the drives if the boat is kept in the water, also that oil is now 5 to 6 months old. Would it be better to start with fresh oil each season?

Fresh oil has no acid to mix with the free moisture. During the first heat cycle in the spring, the moisture is driven out. All oils suck in moisture when exposed to atmosphere. The huge finished product storage tanks in the refineries are vented to atmosphere. The difference is, fresh new oil has no acid accumulation. The surfactants keep the moisture in suspension and the de-mulsifiers prevent the water from mixing with the oil until it is driven out at operating temperatures. W