AOSJeff

2009 226 SSI Garmin gps add

93 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wanting to add the optional gps to my 09 chap 226 SSI and wanted to see the newest and greatest option. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I just purchased a Garmin EchoMap 73 SV to install on my 2007 Sunesta 234. It had good reviews online and is a Chartplotter GPS and has side view and down view sonar. Also comes pre-loaded with LakeVu maps. I think there is a blue water version too. I got a great deal at half price on a black Friday sale.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/fishfindergpscombos/echomap-73sv/prod169422.html

I installed a Garmin 7607 and am very happy with it. It supports NMEA2000, so I also use it to control my Fusion stereo and will be adding fuel monitoring to it this winter.

I went with the si-tex svs 560 cf and a airmar p319 thru-hull transducer. Si-tex, Garmin, Raymarine, and Furuno are truly top-notch!

AOSJeff,

Have you found a Garmin to fit your setup? I'm looking to do the same thing and would like to use a newer model Garmin, 547xs but there is a slight size difference. Just wondered if you have selected a unit and how did it fit?

I have asked Garmin if the newer 527/547 series can fit in place of the older 500 series, and the answer was, yes, but it might not fit 100% like the older style did for the older Garmin 521/546s, etc. series.

Dimensions of the older 541 are: 5.9" x 6.4" x 2.9" (15.0 x 16.3 x 7.4 cm)

Dimensions of the current 547 are: 5.9" x 6.1" x 2.4" (15.0 x 15.5 x 6.1 cm)

Older 520/521/540/546 flush mount kit dimensions

http://static.garmin...untTemplate.pdf

Current 527/547 flush mount kit dimensions

http://static.garmin..._series_FMT.pdf

A little history, and my info here is a somewhat dated and abridged. The following posts references Garmin 500 series chartplotters and chartplotter sounders. When the Sunesta WT and SSi WT digital dashes were designed back in 2008-2009, they were made specifically to fit then current Garmin 500 series with the optional flush mount kit.

Applicable models (for North America at least) included the Garmin 520,520s, 525, 525s, 530, 535s, 540, 540s, and 545s. 'S' versions of course indicate that particular Garmin GPS chartplotter is a 'Sounder' version that can easily accept a Garmin transducer to give water depth and temperature. Models ending in '5' had twice the pixel quality for easier viewing - especially nice with a Garmin G2 Vision chart card.

Garmin then came out with faster processor models. 521,521s, 526, 526s, 531, 536s, 541, and 546s, Models for these series ending in '6' had the greater pixel clarity.

NOTE: the above 'S' models all employed a Garmin 6 pin transducer. Clear as mud??

In late 2012, Garmin introduced a new line, with faster processing power again, but the sizing and colours changed a bit as well. The model line up was shortened however, probably to help with inventory considerations and greater simplicity.

Now there is the 527, 527xs, and 547, and 547xs. The 'S' models now use a more advanced 8 pin transducer.

Perhaps the posts below will help with installation, which is really pretty straight forward IMHO.

I just wanted to post some pictures and loose description on what is entailed in installing a Garmin 500 series flush mount kit on Chaparral models with the square digital gauges; namely the 2008-2013 Sunesta WT models, and the 2009-2013 SSi WT with the optional square gauges.

The analog gauge package pictured below that was also offered on the SSi WT models obviously won't work for this particular installation.

IMGP0192.jpg

The job itself is not overly taxing. Patience and some basic tools are really all that is required.

For most installs, I went with a Garmin 526s, 536s, or 546s, depending on availability and price. If a transducer is wanted, than I recommend the 20 degree offset version so the beam shots straight down to match the vee of the hull. Mounting a regular (non offset) thru hull transducer version results in the beam following the tilted angle of the vee, which can have the affect of skewing your depth numbers and readings.

At any rate, here is what I normally do.

Step 2. Turn the battery switch to the 'off' position.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic3_zps3d2

Step 3. Remove the stock panel in place where the GPS unit will eventually go. There are 4 nuts on the back side of the panel that need to be removed. Once the 4 nuts and their washers have been removed, the panel can be pulled out from the dash (towards the stern of the boat) and set aside.

NOTE: access here may be frustrating, and cuts to your hands from roughly cut tie straps are to be expected. No pain, no gain...

IMGP0193.jpg

IMGP0194.jpg

Step 4. Find the 12 volt positive and ground buss bars that are behind the dash itself. 12 volt positive will most likely be a single post with a red protective cover tie strapped to the red cable(s), while the 12 volt ground buss barr with be yellow, with multiple yellow cables going to it.

NOTE: the yellow buss bar will have a transparent protective cover that will need to be gently removed.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic25_zps8a

Step 5. Cut the tie strap(s) that hold the red protective cover over the main red 12 volt power cable on the 12 volt positive buss bar. Next, remove the nylock nut on the 12 volt positive buss bar post.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic24_zpsa4

Step 6. Source and install the correct size ring terminal to fit the stud for the 12 volt power supply harness wire for the GPS unit itself. I believe the inline fuse comes with the Garmin GPS unit. Simply need to crimp on a correct ring terminal.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic22_zps37

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic21_zps57

Step 7. Install the 12 volt power supply wire and ring terminal onto the post. Ensure all previous cables are in place as well. Install nut and washer, and tighten.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic16_zpsa6

Step 8. Pick an empty position on the yellow 12 volt negative buss bar, and remove a screw that is easily accessible. A short # 2 Phillips screwdriver works well here.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic20_zps71

Step 9. Install the correct size ring terminal onto the black negative wire on the GPS wiring harness.

[url=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/AirMarshall/media/Garmin%20500%20series%20GPS%20install/Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic18_zpsaa1a2956.jpg.html]Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic18_zpsaa

Step 10. Install the 12 volt negative wire and ring terminal onto the yellow negative buss bar. Ensure the screw is good and snug when finished. Carefully install the clear plastic protective cover over the yellow negative buss bar - fits onto the upper and lower studs of the buss bar.

Step 11. Install the red 12 volt positive cover over the positive buss bar post, and secure in place with a tie strap. (this is usually a fun exercise due to space) and the tie strap will need to be thin and small enough to fit in the slots of the red protective cover. Personally, my hands at this point start to cramp up, and I sadly utter a few F' bombs about my plight in the world...

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic15_zpsfb

Step 12. Place the flush mount kit into the dash. It should fit properly with no issues. Install the 4 threaded screws into their respective holes. Arrows on the flush mount kit bracket face up/skyward.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic10_zps3e

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldashpic5_zps88b

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldash1pic6_zps94

Step 13. Install the hold down brackets and hardware, and snug butterfly nuts.

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldash1pic9_zpse8

Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldash1pic4_zps7f

[url=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/AirMarshall/media/Garmin%20500%20series%20GPS%20install/Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldash1pic7_zpsad69414f.jpg.html]Garmin500seriesGPSinstalldash1pic7_zpsad

Step 14. Double check all wiring connections, ensure protective covers are in place. If everything is all right, proceed with Step 15. If not, correct issue(s).

Step 15. Connect power harness to GPS. Harness can only connect the one 1 way.

Step 16. Turn the battery switch to the 'on' position.

Step 17. Power up the GPS. Should power on, and do everything properly. If the install is taking place inside a building, it will be hard for the unit to acquire satellites...

Step 18. If everything has gone according to plan and works properly, push the GPS into the flush mount kit. Snug fit, but you'll hear the 2 audible clicks as the flush mount kit grips onto the sides of the GPS and locks it into place.

PremiumwheelandGarminGPS_zps7e7fe86b.jpg

Step 19. Tie strap the any loose wires under the dash.

Step 20. Enjoy. Recommend purchasing and using a local G2 Vision chart card to get the most out of your unit. Don't recommend the download version however, as you can't use it in any other compatible Garmin device.

I would try to install the biggest GPS I could. More so on a MFD unit. Spliting a screen between chart and fishfinder is not easy to read. Than take the fact that the boat is bouncing and you are looking down. Than on the smaller units there slower to update.

The other thing I also conceded. That if I sell that boat the GPS can be reinstalled on the new boat. So cost is a factor, but if I take with me I don't mind spending a little more$$,

Shepherd, great install post.

Like AOSJeff, I also plan on doing an install on my 2009 196SSi. I already purchased the newer 527xs/547xs and can tell you it does not have the same footprint as the earlier 500 series Garmin units. However, it will fit within the footprint of the older models. The main difference with the 527xs/547xs is that Garmin changed the optional flush mount bracket for this newer model. Now all you get is four flush mount trim seal pieces the that stick to the edge of the rough cut opening on the dash or trim around back edge of unit. The unit gets fastened directly to the dash and a trim bezel clipped around to hide the four corner screws. Note that Garmin references the wrong installation instructions on their website for the 527xs/547xs models as they link to the older 500 series unit with the full flush mount install bracket that Shepherd shows above.

Too bad they made such drastic changes. I haven't installed mine yet and may have to find some work around to make it fit. I may have to go with the swivel mount on top of the dash instead - this wouldn't be bad as I think you would get better visibility of the Garmin screen from other seats in the boat (like while fishing).

I should add there is an additional Flat Mount kit (#010-11994-00) that allows mounting the unit recessed in a flat opening. With the 5" model like the 527xs/547xs this can be done either on the sides or top/bottom of the device. With the cutout on the Chaparral, I think there may be sufficient room top and bottom to mount the Garmin in the cutout space. Unfortunately, I won't be able to confirm this until I get some warmer weather (light snowfall today).

I just put a Ray E7D on my 270 and love it. My only beef with Ray is that if you install an autopilot, and are following a route, it will NOT auto sequence waypoints without you physically pushing an "accept course change" pop up message.....otherwise it reverts to heading mode. Other than that it's great. The autorouting feature on the Navionics charts, both iPad, and the unit itself.....is amazing.

7A5D06B0-6AF9-4A07-8E95-6A6D7BD5E4F5.jpg

Thanks for the great instruction post and photos, Shepherd. Like Ronbill, I'd liked to use the Garmin 547xs rather than the 546s for the in dash install for our 2010 226 ssi but not sure I can make it work. Since the dimension of the two are within .3" it's possible but I do see the difference in the mounting approach. I'd like to use the older box style mount like Shepherd used but not sure how those units snapped into place. Do they use the ball mount location to snap into the frame? From the pictures that looks to be the case and I believe the 547xs ball mount points are more centered to the body of the unit where as the previous 500 series are lower to the body. Which means they won't fit directly into the frame without modifications. I'm looking at using standoffs or some other creative approach from the back of the box mount to the mounting holes in the 547xs.

Still want a nice looking fit,

Thanks for the great instruction post and photos, Shepherd. Like Ronbill, I'd liked to use the Garmin 547xs rather than the 546s for the in dash install for our 2010 226 ssi but not sure I can make it work. Since the dimension of the two are within .3" it's possible but I do see the difference in the mounting approach. I'd like to use the older box style mount like Shepherd used but not sure how those units snapped into place. Do they use the ball mount location to snap into the frame? From the pictures that looks to be the case and I believe the 547xs ball mount points are more centered to the body of the unit where as the previous 500 series are lower to the body. Which means they won't fit directly into the frame without modifications. I'm looking at using standoffs or some other creative approach from the back of the box mount to the mounting holes in the 547xs.

Still want a nice looking fit,

Granger5,

I emailed Garmin and they stated:

"If you are wanting to flush mount your GPSmap 527xs you will need to purchase the Flush Mount Kit, 010-11977-00, $9.99USD. It will not fit in the one you referenced: Part Number: 010-10447-05."

Did you compare the templates from the 5x6 series to the 5x7 series? If I recall, the 527/547xs is slightly shorter top to bottom than the older series.

The Flush Mount Kit , 010-11977-00 suggested by Garmin actually came with my 527xs and is nothing more that seals/gaskets that stick to the edge of the dash cutout. I think I will try the Flat Mount kit (#010-11994-00) that allows mounting the unit recessed in a flat opening and hope that the 527xs sits slightly recessed into the custom dash cutout.

Did you remove the logo cover to see what is behind it?

I have yet to actually remove the Chaparral insert to see what is behind it. Mine is simply a cover and does not have the hinge glove box that some do.

2015-10-07%2009.43.49_zpshfu1513y.jpg

If there is dash material that need to be cut out to fit the 527xs footprint I think the flat mount kit could work. However, if the dash behind the Chaparral cap is already cut out to fit the 546 mount kit then it could be problematic getting a nice looking fit.

I'm hoping I have enough material behind the logo cover to get a gapless fit. Also, if the Garmin unit sits recessed I'm hoping I can continue to use the logo cover to cover up the Garmin when not in use. I hope this makes sense :scratchchin:

I just put a Ray E7D on my 270 and love it. My only beef with Ray is that if you install an autopilot, and are following a route, it will NOT auto sequence waypoints without you physically pushing an "accept course change" pop up message.....otherwise it reverts to heading mode. Other than that it's great. The autorouting feature on the Navionics charts, both iPad, and the unit itself.....is amazing.

7A5D06B0-6AF9-4A07-8E95-6A6D7BD5E4F5.jpg

Looks great!

Thanks Iggy! Had to remake the dash with a 3/4" sheet of PVC in order for the e7 to fit. Then covered it with 3m Di-noc and clear coated it. That idea came from somewhere in this site. The stuff is awesome!!!!

57A3A844-721D-4DFA-9290-7C710E465A40.jpg

7585105B-E9B8-4FBB-B8B6-0315E8C3658E.jpg

DF21F59D-FEBF-4000-B583-79AFFD9CDC1C.jpg

E6E3D54C-6D00-404A-8D09-7A4F75158E7F.jpg

Also learned that if you spray clearcoat and the humidity is too high it will cloud up. It can be remedied by slowly going over it with a heat gun. Cloud is gone. Just a tip.

Granger5,

I emailed Garmin and they stated:

"If you are wanting to flush mount your GPSmap 527xs you will need to purchase the Flush Mount Kit, 010-11977-00, $9.99USD. It will not fit in the one you referenced: Part Number: 010-10447-05."

Did you compare the templates from the 5x6 series to the 5x7 series? If I recall, the 527/547xs is slightly shorter top to bottom than the older series.

The Flush Mount Kit , 010-11977-00 suggested by Garmin actually came with my 527xs and is nothing more that seals/gaskets that stick to the edge of the dash cutout. I think I will try the Flat Mount kit (#010-11994-00) that allows mounting the unit recessed in a flat opening and hope that the 527xs sits slightly recessed into the custom dash cutout.

Did you remove the logo cover to see what is behind it?

I have yet to actually remove the Chaparral insert to see what is behind it. Mine is simply a cover and does not have the hinge glove box that some do.

2015-10-07%2009.43.49_zpshfu1513y.jpg

If there is dash material that need to be cut out to fit the 527xs footprint I think the flat mount kit could work. However, if the dash behind the Chaparral cap is already cut out to fit the 546 mount kit then it could be problematic getting a nice looking fit.

I'm hoping I have enough material behind the logo cover to get a gapless fit. Also, if the Garmin unit sits recessed I'm hoping I can continue to use the logo cover to cover up the Garmin when not in use. I hope this makes sense :scratchchin:

The hinged Chaparral glove box like cover and the simple logo plastic cover fit over the exact same dimension of hole that was designed to fit the 546 series, etc. Garmin GPS units.

Regardless of which style is present, getting them out is easier than getting them back in. The composite dash material can be cut away with some work if that is required.

NOTE: some of the early 2008-2010 SSi WT and Sunesta WT digital dashes had a fibreglass panel that needs to be cut away to allow a flush mounted GPS to go in that area.

DashHole.jpg

centerhelmbirdhead003.jpg

Ronbill

Thanks for the details! I did compare the two templates that were posted by Shepard1 earlier. Those two units, 5x6 series and the 5x7 series changed on how they mount in this particular case. The 5x7 now has the mounting recess and I'm sure you can see on the back side all the way around the unit allowing it to fit into a smaller mounting hole in the dash then screws directly through the unit. The 5x6 series appears to use the ball mount swivel with those two side attachments to fit into the box mount.

The dash is cut for those box mount frames 010-10447-05 so that's why I want to use it to keep that nice frame trim piece. Shepard1 has some good pictures of the dash, thanks for posting!

I do not have a unit to actually look at so your inputs are great to hear on the provided trim pieces that came with the 5x7. I was wondering how those fit to the 5x7 unit. Your way ahead of met there, I don't actually have the boat yet either, hope to pick it up this weekend! Yeah!!!

The Flat Mount Kit I(#010-11994-00) sounds like a good option also. I did see some instructions on those but not sure how they would work without modifying the dash.

Seems like the 5x7 should fit the opening, trimming it out nicely except for that gap of about .15" top/bottom just need to change the way it mates to the unit.

If you try those flat mount brackets let me know how that goes!

I had one added to my boat. The only thing I still want it the NMEA 2000 connection.

I think that is the 547 in Tim's picture as the 5x6 series had silver trim bezel top and bottom and is a little more rounded on the sides.

The 546:

gpsmap-546.jpg

Will have to find out what mount Tim used for this he may have the secret. I just need a chance to get out to my boat to pull the logo panel off. I sure hope there is no fiberglass like Shepherd showed above, but I suspect it is there.I do have an email into Garmin to clarify the difference in installation with the flush mount vs flat mount bracket. The flush mount is not really a mount but rather just a trim seal that peel and sticks to the back edge if the Garmin unit or on the edge of the dash cutout.

I do know the with the flat mount, it states the mounting brackets can be used either top and bottom of the 527/547 or on the sides of the unit to best suit the installation. That sounds promising.