AOSJeff

2009 226 SSI Garmin gps add

93 posts in this topic

Finally finished the Garmin install. I had to remove a block of fiberglass capped plywood first.

Garmin%20install%20block%20removed%201_z

Here is the piece removed

Garmin%20install%20block%20removal_zpspm

I took a similar approach to that of eschult1 above except that I didn't replace the stock bolts from the flush mount kit. I mounted the kit first with the bolts in place as per instructions. To do this, I had to cut off one inch off each end of the aluminum kit brackets that get placed behind the dash. I also had to bend the bracket ends slightly out to open the bracket up to contact the rear of the dash. With the flush mount kit secured I simply friction fit the garmin unit into the mount and it fits snug enough that it WILL NOT pop out in rough water. I took this approach so I can easily remove the unit when the boat is not in use.

20160717_112242_zpsujlr8mpb.jpg

20160717_112330_zpsu5sgs0bs.jpg

Now I just have to install and run the transom mount transducer :(

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:57 PM, Ronbill said:

Finally finished the Garmin install. I had to remove a block of fiberglass capped plywood first.

Garmin%20install%20block%20removed%201_z

Here is the piece removed

Garmin%20install%20block%20removal_zpspm

I took a similar approach to that of eschult1 above except that I didn't replace the stock bolts from the flush mount kit. I mounted the kit first with the bolts in place as per instructions. To do this, I had to cut off one inch off each end of the aluminum kit brackets that get placed behind the dash. I also had to bend the bracket ends slightly out to open the bracket up to contact the rear of the dash. With the flush mount kit secured I simply friction fit the garmin unit into the mount and it fits snug enough that it WILL NOT pop out in rough water. I took this approach so I can easily remove the unit when the boat is not in use.

20160717_112242_zpsujlr8mpb.jpg

20160717_112330_zpsu5sgs0bs.jpg

Now I just have to install and run the transom mount transducer :(

Nicely done, how did you cut out that backing material?  Mine looks to be the same from what I can feel up in there.  It's very hard to reach the back side nuts holding that cover plate in there so haven't had the opportunity to remove it.  I didn't want to leave it open for very long to the weather if it's a big job to cut that backing plate.

Thanks for the details, looks tight and there are a number of wires to watch out for.  Hope to get into it sometime this month. I also like the idea of removing it easily. 

I pulled the carpet out before cutting, then vacuumed afterwards. Dust will fly and collect on the wires behind the dash so get under there with vacuum attachment. I bought the LakeVu HD Ultra card and the Garmin worked great a week ago when boating on Kalmalka lake in the BC interior. Now for the transducer install - just need to decide where to attach it and if I should use a stern saver plate. Then I'm seriously done modifications on this boat. :scratchchin:

Got the pic to work lol.  the GPS is sitting in the chrome trim just the end caps the cover the bolts make it look like it over hangs. I need to see if there is one of those inserts like in previous pics.  Garmin doesn't have anything for the echoMAP oh well

1 hour ago, Ronbill said:

Unfortunately Garmin changed the dimensions with the echoMap line from previous lines.

Yeah.  It looks better in person than the pic but I guess it's fine.  Worst case I'll make a plate later or do a Carbon fiber mount.

Yea, I'll keep some drop cloth around to catch as much as possible but it'll get messy.  I did get an opportunity to pull the cover plate finally. It seems like each of these installs have had a different configuration behind the dash to deal with.  I've got a elongated hole above where the wires come out on the newer 547 models but there is room for the flush mount kit to fit. Just need to adjust the mounting U-brackets slighting to fit.  Plan to cut some new access holes but I've been working to also setup some wiring for the NEMA bus back to get engine data on the Garmin once installed also.

I plan on putting the transducer on also so keep the reports coming!  Sounds like you had a good day out on the lake, your getting close to wrapping it up.

Nice install 4xFSChamp, I looked at the echoMAP also but couldn't figure out how to make it fit.  Looks like you did, nice install.

Ronbill

Have you installed your transducer yet?  I finally got my unit installed, it was much simpler than I figured after reading all the different posts and various opening issues.  Mine turned out to have an oval cutout in the bulkhead behind for the original Garmin 5x6 series behind the Chaparral filter cover.  I modified my flush mount kit holder by using a hole drill 1.5" size to remove part of the plastic sides interfering with the newer 547xs connectors for power and NEMA2K.  Than just lined those up and drilled two through holes with the same 1.5" dia hole saw in the backing to feed those cables through.  I haven't installed the two u-brackets to hold the frame in yet but will next opportunity. The frame fits tight enough to use for now  And I did make up some internal brackets to mount the Garmin unit with screws so I can easily remove it.

On to the transducer now!  I have the NEMA2K parts but haven't wired that in yet but have it all laid out with the connectors and Maretron unit to get engine functions, need to run the backbone and mount the box.  Just trying to figure out which transducer will worked best as a CHRIP unit.  I'm leaning towards a thru hull since the boat already has one for depth but they seem expense,

I went with a transom mount transducer model # GT22HW-TM [Plastic, Transom or Trolling Motor Mount Transducer, High Wide CHIRP (150-240 kHz, 250 W)/CHIRP DownVü (455/800 kHz, 500 W) (8-pin)] as it was the cheapest way to get into CHIRP/ CHIRP DownVü.

I have yet to install it and with the boat winterized I won't do the install until spring.

1 hour ago, Ronbill said:

I went with a transom mount transducer model # GT22HW-TM [Plastic, Transom or Trolling Motor Mount Transducer, High Wide CHIRP (150-240 kHz, 250 W)/CHIRP DownVü (455/800 kHz, 500 W) (8-pin)] as it was the cheapest way to get into CHIRP/ CHIRP DownVü.

I have yet to install it and with the boat winterized I won't do the install until spring.

I looked at those models also, haven't fully absorbed what the DownVu added.  Or which CHIRP range to go with. I need to do some more digging.  Figured if I have to cut a hole in the transom it would be the same as cutting a hole for a thru hull but still not set either way.  Hard to get over that part of the decision....  I'll be getting the boat winterized soon also but we have a few weeks yet for access in our neck of the woods.

Thanks granger for the install props.  Mine came with the transom mount transducer/sonar but I didn't install mine.  I've been just using the factory depth gauge. The charts on my ecomap have been pretty spot on for depths so I haven't had any issues 

Thanks, 4xFSChamp there were some good posts that really helped make it a quicker install.  Mine did come with the transom mount unit also which may be the lower cost option to getting that feature added to the display but was interested in getting a CHIRP transducer as well.  I've not actually had time to play around with the display in detail yet so that's good to hear on the charts. If we get out once more before it's put up for winter I'll check those out. 

Yeah from what I've seen chirp is for fishing mainly so I use my friends boats for that lol.  I don't want to put another hole in the boat and the transducer is huge 

On 10/4/2016 at 6:05 PM, 4xFSChamp said:

Yeah from what I've seen chirp is for fishing mainly so I use my friends boats for that lol.  I don't want to put another hole in the boat and the transducer is huge 

I agree that chirp is mainly for fishing. If I wasn't interested in fishing I would stick with traditional sonar (or CHIRP without DownVu) in a through-hull transducer.

Anyone figure out a clever way to install a sonar to their boat without cutting a big hole?