Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PerthWA

HELP - Blower Won't Work....grrrrrr

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I have a 2005 235 SSi and I have noticed the blower in the engine compartment will not work if I turn it on at the helm switch.

I have disconnected the blower and connected it directly to the battery and the unit operates perfectly. I have confirmed with a multimeter the battery is charged with 12.7 volts and other electrical equipment on the boat works.

I have placed the multimeter on the wire connectors feeding the blower and it only registers 0.1 volts and if I turn the blower switch off at the helm it reads zero - something is trickling down the line.

I have pressed the circuit breaker switch for the blower under the helm and still the blower doesn't operate.

I do not want to sound dumb as I have limited electrical experience, but are there fuses hidden somewhere that I don't know about??? I do not understand what could be causing the problem as I have checked everything other than perhaps the blower switch itself on the helm panel but not sure what could go wrong there (I just thought - the fuse isn't in the switch is it?).

I would really appreciate any guidance you wiser men than me might have as it is doing my head in.

I do not think it has anything to do with being in Australia (like the water goes down the drain the opposite direction as you guys). Also, as I recall, when I bought the boat 10 months ago it was working so don't think it could be a wiring issue.

Please provide your input if you may have experienced this before....

Thanks

Paul

post-44124-0-33215000-1451370375_thumb.j

post-44124-0-82040500-1451370388_thumb.j

You're doing all the right things to diagnose the issue.

Get to the backside of the switch and ensure +12volts is getting to it -- and leaving the switch when it's in the ON position. Depending upon what you find there, work backward in either direction until you find the issue.

The blowers are often powered via a relay ... check if yours is the case.

You might have a stuck/broken relay to deal with, and two circuits to test.

I had this happen last season and it ended up being the Fireboy engine compartment fire suppression system. If the Fireboy is low on suppressant, the system does not allow the blowers to operate. There is a gauge on the Fireboy, the needle needs to be in the green.

Love the endless safety interlocks added each year. Some make sense. This one is great if it trips open while pulling up to the only refueling dock in a nowhere place.

A simple, small Pizo Electric screamer / horn would allow operation of the boat.

Electricity flows in the same direction this side of the line ,Mate.

You have made all the right troubleshooting tests so far. don't stop. Confirm the 0.1Vdc reading by placing one test probe (+) of you meter in the brown wire connection and touch the (-) meter connection to a good ground, either on the engine or battery (-) . Of course with the Blower switch on.

Make the switch/breaker tests as described previously .

The Fireboy in the engine compartment has a ground wire that goes to it from the blower relay. If it has come loose or the fireboy is discharged the blowers are disabled. It prevents the blowers from feeding a fire in the engine compartment. I would bet this is your problem.

Disconnect the wires from the Fireboy and connect the wires together, your blower should then work. The fireboy in our 2005 215 rusted significantly, when we removed the extinguisher, we joined the wires/leads together to have use of the blower.

One of my off season tasks is to get my current Fireboy inspected and tagged, they like to see that during the annual USCG inspection, that or you need two hand held fire extinguishers onboard for our size boat.

Do you have an auto fire-extinguisher? If so check the connections if they are loose the blower will not run.

Its a safety thing, if the fire extinguisher is low or in use (Fire in there) the blower wont run so the powder stays in there to put the fire out.

H everyone

Thank you soooooo very much for your guidance and invaluable advice.

I had removed the Fireboy from my boat some months back for the same reasons as Tidal Potomac above - it had rusted out.

I heeded the advice here and connected the two wires together that were attached to the discharge head and guess what - the blower works!!!!!

I also took the opportunity to reread the instruction manual for the Fireboy and there is a line in it that states the ground wire is connected to the pressure switch at the same point as the indicator lamp and that this connection method will interrupt the blower in the event of a discharge (as MPM330 rightly stated above). Disconnecting the wires had the same effect as a discharge so connecting them together again and making the circuit brought t the blower back to life.

I sincerely appreciate your help gents - I can sleep again!!

Have a great New Year and thanks from Down Under :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

DO NOT SLEEP TOO SOUNDLY !!

No engine fire protection . If idling with electrical things on.

After ten years, it is probably time to replace. Those out there with Fireboy extinguishers, how often do you have your bottle inspected and tagged?

Glad someone had personal experience with your (common) problem. My suggestion would have checked the ground circuit to the blower. I add this for your future reference, since you had done some things troubleshooting. Most boat owners forget the ground circuit which causes a lot of problems. They only check the positive side of the circuit.

Hi Cyclops 2

You make a very good point but, most unfortunately, we are unable to purchase or import the Fireboy replacement extinguishers into Australia because of, as I understand it, the fire retardant used in them. I really do not understand the reasons because if I was to buy a new Chaparral it would be imported as a whole boat into Australia with the unit preinstalled - go figure???

I could install a powdered or CO2 system but the cylinder would be too large. For the moment I will have to do with what I have - hand held extinguisher and fingers crossed.

After ten years, it is probably time to replace. Those out there with Fireboy extinguishers, how often do you have your bottle inspected and tagged?

Having friends in the fire extingusher buisness and having had to use one, from time to time. They suggest, make sure the gauge is in the green, if not recharge or replace. Also to take it out of the holder and flippping it upside down to so the powder flows to the top, listen to hear it flow. If it doesn't replace or recharge.

I now believe ALL FRIGGIN countries are completely controlled by ALL the minority fringe lunatics. Your extinguisher laws are as stupid as some of ours.

Make changes just so changes are made.

The phrase. Know when to stop making changes really fits this law.

Note.....................Many people have " Fire fighting ports " leading into the engine room............ Hope some of them will show where they are located. How easy to make 1 is. Would solve you hand extinguisher problems with any type or size of extinguisher.

Post up guys. :)

You make a very good point but, most unfortunately, we are unable to purchase or import the Fireboy replacement extinguishers into Australia because of, as I understand it, the fire retardant used in them.

There are at least two types of fire extinguishers with different retardant/gases that Fireboy makes. Check it out ... I am pretty sure there is one that fits EU, Canadian, and Australian eco requirements.

Google is your friend: http://www.fire-protection.com.au/news/fireboy-is-back-in-australia

Hey Richard W

Well there you go it appears we might now be able to buy them in Australia. I have sent the Supplier an email so see if mine is available (CG2-125 Model) and the dreaded cost question.

Thanks for your help :clapsmiley: :clapsmiley:

Hi everyone

Good news - thanks to Richard W's referral I was able to purchase a brand new replacement Fireboy unit for my boat from a Supplier in Melbourne who has recently started importing them. Apparently they use a new extinguishing agent (FM200) that is not banned in Australia (FE241 was). The price wasn't too bad when converted from US to AU (about AUDeer700)

Hopefully get unit next week and plugs directly into existing Fireboy monitoring panel.

My boat will be safe again....