Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jschulwdw

Prop Pitch On 2013 Sig 350 (Formerly the 330)

7 posts in this topic

Looking to see if anyone out there has any experience on selecting the prop pitch for the Sig 350 (formerly the 330 before 2011). I have twin Merc 5.7 Mag 350 Bravo 3 and am using stainless 24 pitch props (came with boat). I am thinking of lowing the pitch slightly to get on plane quicker. I'm ok when the boat is not heavily loaded (just 4 of us) but once i add a few more people it obviously slows me down. I notice that many other cruisers of similar size that i ride in have little issue getting up on plane with the same 5.7 engines and 12 or more people . For me it takes a lot more time just to get up on plane. It takes the engines some time to spool the RPM's to the 3000 plus range i need to get onto plane. I know there are a lot of other factors such as weight distribution. Good news is the boat has tons of seating with both port and aft seats near the rear of the cockpit bad news is does put some additional weight to the rear. I actively manage the trim tabs but its still not enough.

I am looking for advice on what anyone else with this boat or similar has done.

Thanks for your help!

How many hours have you got on the 350? Did it sit for a while without use? Any chance your props have wound fishing line? I can't help you with prop information, however one of the warranty items we had addressed this season with our dealer was having the injectors cleaned. The injectors were gummed up, causing the starboard engine to hesitate and backfire. With the injectors cleaned, the boat gets right up on plane with full tanks and six or more onboard. We have the Volvo Penta 8.1 OSI engines, hopefully the othe 350 owners with Mercruisers will chime in with their experience.

Good questions thanks. Engines have always seemed to run great, and have 80 hours on them (3 seasons). I did do the break-in by the book. Boat does rest for 6 months without being used. Fuel is always treated and ran thorough a week before it is pulled out. Overall boat runs great just want to see if i can get her up a little faster.

What RPM do you see @ WOT? Your 350 MAG/MPI should turn 4800 to 5200 RPM ( check your owners manual to confirm). Depending on your WOT RPM's you may be able to drop down to 22's, maybe even 20's.

brick

I had the same issue on my 2008 330. Same engines, 24 pitch props, slow to plane with many people on board. I replaced all four props with four blade 22 pitch props from Hill Marine. Huge difference in shorter plane time. I was very happy with the outcome. They were not cheap but well worth it. I am not advertising for Hill Marine, but they will continue to swap out props until you find the pitch you want. After talking with them by phone and the issue I was having, they suggested lowering the pitch to 22. They got it right the first time as my WOT RPM was right in the middle of the Merc range at 5000. Merc states WOT should be 4800-5200 RPMs. Greg

Forgot one thing... Make sure you also flip the trim rams from the Bravo 3 position to the Bravo 1 position. There is a small celery stick looking metal piece where the ram connects to the out drive that needs to be flipped from front to back or back to front, sorry I don't remember which, but it gets the drive down another inch or so and will help with getting on plane. Greg