Sign in to follow this  
Todd in NY

New to Chaparral, considering a 244 Fisherman

I am a fisherman by hobby, and own 2 aluminum boats, a 19ft Sea Nymph center console for Lake Ontario and a 16ft Sears row boat with a 25hp motor (my main fishing machine) for smaller lakes.

I am considering buying a mid 1980's model 244 Fisherman later this spring. I'm having a hard time finding previous or current owners of these boats, and I am curious about how well these boats perform. I don't need a speed boat, and I have seen that some of these 244's came with a 5.7L engine, which seems like a big motor for a fishing boat that weighs 3900 pounds. I haven't found a boat for sale locally yet, so I am using these winter months to do some research. The boat will serve as my Lake Ontario salmon and trout trolling boat.

I am looking for honest opinions and feedback from anyone who has any experience with these particular models, especially in regards to reliability of the engines, outdrives, hull, stringers, floor and components. Thanks in advance.

35 year old boat ? Tough request to help with. 3900 pounds needs a 5.7 to battle wind & waves head on in the lake. It is normally a calm small ocean.

Yep, it's old, which is why I'm doing my research now. They don't seem to be very popular, and I'm not dead set on getting one, but I have a budget to work with and I'm hoping to get lucky and find a good one (although luck isn't usually on my side). I saw one for sale last year and it never sold. I never looked at it so I have no idea what condition its in or the asking price. I'm not a pleasure boater, so I don't want or need anything with all the fancy bells and whistles. My 19ft center console serves me well because I pick and choose my Lake O fishing days very carefully, and I have 7 years (over 800 days) of offshore fishing experience on the Gulf of Mexico, so I don't take any stupid chances. When the weather on Lake O is looking iffy, I take my 16ft boat to local lakes for bass, walleye or trout.

If I don't find a replacement for my 19ft CC this year, I have no problem just keeping what I have until the right boat comes along. You bring up a good point about needing the extra motor to cut through the waves and wind, especially if conditions turn ugly in a hurry. Thanks!

I'd be careful with a boat that old...you may not know it at first glance, but it could end up being a rot bucket. Really check out the deck, stringers, and transom. Chaparral makes solid boats, but you may want to look for a newer Grady White, Wellcraft, Robalo, etc. walk around type boat.

I'll give it my best, most thorough inspection. If I have any doubts about the integrity of the boat I'll simply walk away. I've also considered upgrading to a slightly bigger aluminum cuddy fishing boat too. I'll have to wait and see what turns up for sale this spring. All of our boats are currently snowed in for the winter.

I suspect that there will be a very limited selection, because of the age of the boat. You might have a better chance of setting a budget, then look at all available boats, see if you find something that meets your needs.

brick

I'm not a pleasure boater, so I don't want or need anything with all the fancy bells and whistles. My 19ft center console serves me If I don't find a replacement for my 19ft CC this year, I have no problem just keeping what I have until the right boat comes along.Thanks!

Chaparral makes a high quality Pleasure Boat. They are seldom used for serious fishing without some modifications. Take your time in shopping, there are thousands of good fishing boats for sale at a reasonable price, good luck.

There are some boats that I plan on looking at this spring, some aluminum hulls and some fiberglass. There might be a 244 Fisherman going back up for sale, and it appears to be well maintained. Its located just a few miles from my house and will be the only 244 I look at locally. I'm also considering a 22ft Starcraft Islander, or something along those lines. I'm a research-a-holic, and I'm in no hurry to rush into a decision, so time is on my side.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chaparral makes a high quality Pleasure Boat. They are seldom used for serious fishing without some modifications. Take your time in shopping, there are thousands of good fishing boats for sale at a reasonable price, good luck.

Back in the day they made fishing boats. Now they make Robalo.

Robalo makes great fishing boats. It's hard to believe that at one time, a long time ago, the "244 Cuddy Cabin" fishing boat was Chaparral's top of the line boat. I noticed this by looking back through the brochure archives on this web site. Then they created the 238V Cruiser in 1982, and the 244V Cuddy Cabin became the 244V Sportsman and started to fall to the wayside as a family cruiser.