Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcneisler

Whats the best way to Winterize

15 posts in this topic

Hello

I have a 2009 Chaparral 224 sunsetta extreme. I just purchased it last summer, I am not new to boating i use to have a 87 ski nautique for many years. I know this question will gets lots of opinions i just want to know what is best. In that past i have always just drained the block and manifolds to winterize. I have been researching it and many people say you need to fill the block with antifreeze. The boat is stored outside and it typically does not get any colder then the teens and doesn't stay there long. i was wondering if just draining the block, manifolds, hoses and lower the out drive is enough.

Thanks Matt

Draining the block is all that is required to protect the block from freeze damage. Depending on your power package, you may also have to drain a power steering cooler, raw-water pump, and manifolds. Antifreeze is not mandatory, but recommended, as it protects against corrosion, and dilutes any residual water. Treating the gas is required, and is critical if you are running E10.

Check the specifics in your owners manual to be sure.

brick

There are two schools of thought on your question. Winterize with just a dry block or to use antifreeze. There are pros and cons of both. I use the antifreeze method primarily to reduce corrosion and to dilute any existing water. The main thing is to get all the water out of everything; block, manifolds, hoses pumps, ect.

I have found on the boats I service for the winter that if you fill the system with antifreeze and not leave it dry the impeller seems to last much longer and also tends to keep the hoses a little more pliable. Also it's not a bad idea to take the tension off the drive belt. 20 bucks for antifreeze is much cheaper than a block.

Ok thank you i drained all but the power steering cooler, but i do not think i have one of those.

It's behind the engine. Follow the raw water discharge hose, and it runs right through it. You will see the two small power steering hoses going to and from. Use the pink marine/RV antifreeze as it's non-toxic and has inhibitors that preserver the engine internals during storage. Cheap insurance in case you missed a pocket of water during draining. W

Im a little crazy about it since I'm new. I ran the ping through then drained it all. After a week I remembered last seasons-25 degree nights. I went back and poured -100 in it and left it. To be honest I feel better now. Last season I ran -50 pink and left it in. It was my first time and to be honest my rear was a little puckered when I opened it up last year. -50 RV stuff is mostly alcohol so I was probably no where near -50 coverage last season by the end. Winter can be long. Find a way to sleep well.

I live in upstate NY it gets cold. IMO using AF is a must whether your drain it or not. Typically only takes 5-6 gallons of it. I skip the step of draining, hook muffs to the boat run to temp, and then run the AF, until gone. Done game over. Then fill with fuel stabilizer if you wish.

Put moth balls and dry sheets in the boat to keep the rodents out.

I threw a tub of the dam ridx. What ever its called for RV's. No idea if it really helps but after last winter the dryer sheets and the tub left my boat mildew free and smelling like flowers.

Takes 5-6 gallons for small block V8s. Make sure to use the propylene glycol pink AF and not the alcohol based ethylene glycol also pink. The ethylene does not have the corrosion inhibitors needed in the steel block. It is fine for your water system.

Bennett