Sign in to follow this  
Kwood92

First year out

I just bought a boat Chaparral 96' signature 24. The boat is winterized and stored away. I was wondering how do I de-winterize the boat once it is delivered to the new marina?

Also wondering if there are diagrams or books i can find on how to properly tie the boat up to the dock.

Good time of the year to have the marina SHOW you how to tie up. Might even be smart enough to not have someone next to you for a while if possible. GET a FULL SET OF FENDERS for each side when you are leaving or docking anywhere else.. I have gone thru what is ahead of you. Have the marina show you how to loop the fender rope thru the hole in each cleat. if they have a hole in the center. The service manager is the person to tell your needs & concerns to.

The small 186 has 4....cleats per side. I had extras added. Boat has 8 6" diameter, black fenders. Each with premade end loops. The dock has 2 horizontal floating 8 " fenders. ALL have a ringed molded hole at each end. a floating dock can sometimes get waves to toss the boat fenders on a dock and scratch the boat badly. SOMETIMES. I had a young guy tie the 2 horizontal fenders to the UNDERWATER posts of the dock. That way they can not be tossed by waves on to the dock. they stay at the same height always. Great for bumping against as you come in the slip.

You will also need at least 2 preferably 4 pre made looped end, docking lines. I usually only use 2 in small wave conditions. ALL are at least as long as the boat. In tying up for long times ? Which may bring winds a rough waves ? ALL 4 are tied in a X pattern. I never do the short straight to the nearest dock cleats. Always the long X patterns. 1 drunk showoff blowing by the dock CAN rip out boat cleats if the line go straight to the nearest cleat.

My pecking finger is tired. :)

Boating is great fun & freedom compared to cars or airplanes.. Enjoy the boat. :)

I just bought a boat Chaparral 96' signature 24. The boat is winterized and stored away. I was wondering how do I de-winterize the boat once it is delivered to the new marina?

Also wondering if there are diagrams or books i can find on how to properly tie the boat up to the dock.

I have watched videos on every question that you have on You Tube. West Marin has some awesome instructional videos

You can also check out your local power squadron. They tend to run seamanship seminars in the winter.

Cyclops, why do your lines not hold the boat away from the dock? Boats in our marina are tied off so that they won't touch come in contact with the dock or pilings. Is it due to the dock configuration of your slip?

Welcome to the Chaparral forum site. There is a lot of good info about dewinterization in the history files here. Also look at the USCG safe boating sites for seamanship pointers.

http://www.uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/boating-safety-courses.php

+1 to the above!

I would join a yacht club, you will learn a lot more.

1/2" x 25' dock lines and 8" fenders as some else mentioned. I would look into a Seloc manual for your size engine.

Cyclops, why do your lines not hold the boat away from the dock?

I misread Cyclops post, I thought he was explaining how to keep your boat tied off in a slip.

Try to find out who winterized it last or invoices to help determine what was done. People winterize differently. For instance. We drain our block, reinstall drain plugs, disconnect and plug the hose for the fresh water supply to the water pump, and run antifreeze through the cooling system. In the spring we reconnect the water supply hose and tighten. Some people just remove the drain plugs and then reinstall the drain plugs. Izzy has great advice, join a yacht club and get a Seloc repair manual.

You may have other systems needing dewinterization. Tell us more about the boat, what systems you have aboard, dealer/broker/private sale. Folks will chime in who similar models.

As for tying up at the dock, use 8 inch fenders when learning, more are better.

Will you be slipping or trailering your boat?

My water has no salt in it. Saint Lawrence River right at Lake Ontario

But we do get 12" to 16" WIND DRIVEN steady tides, pulling like hellll on straight lines to dock cleats. Wind waves of 2' to 4' WILL / DO add to severe strain, yank on the lines.

Cheap marinas forgot to put in centering pilings. Bummer. :)

We have a 21' LOA limit on all boats. Sort of. :)

Thanks for all the help! I'm planning on leaving it in a wet slip for the season so the tie up information is critical.

Thanks for all the help! I'm planning on leaving it in a wet slip for the season so the tie up information is critical.

Fresh or salt water. I wouldn't wet slip in salt water.

Fresh or salt water. I wouldn't wet slip in salt water.

Brackish above Annapolis in the Chesapeake bay.

Brackish above Annapolis in the Chesapeake bay.

A few people in this post are in your area. Maybe you can make the raft up this year!!