phills fan

2016 Upper Chesapeake Bay Raft Up

For those of you that attended last years get together, you remember that we all walked the sandbar at low tide and the actual raft-up was to starboard (west side) of the cove where the deep water is. During April of this year there was both a moon tide and strong N/E wind that blew most of the water out of the upper bay. Long term water front residents commented that they had never seen anything like it in over 40 years here. Ironically, it coincided nicely with our dredging operation at our community boat ramp and made that work more straight forward. Anyway, I attached a picture of our proposed raft-up cove and you can see why staying on the western side of cove is preferred. You can also see that there is hard pack sand on virtually every square inch in this area making it arguably the best hard sand beach area on the Upper Chesapeake. Fresh water here makes it nice too as the salt line never makes it up quite this far.    W

P4050361_zpsvzp73mng.jpg

I'd like to beach her right up on that nice sand.  Is that the kind of sand you wouldn't want to beach on or is it ok?  I don't care much now with bottom paint I'll beach her as long as I don't lose the tide!  Or is it just too shallow to drive her over that way?

23 hours ago, phills fan said:

Looks like a great place for chairs, cooler, and ez up.

It would be except normally the sand you see in that picture is covered by 3 to 4 feet of water. This was a freak April tide.  Hatem, NOBODY beaches here. Just not done.

1 hour ago, WhatNext said:

How long is the ride from the raftup location to Baltimore inner harbor?

Takes me about 40 minutes to get to the slow speed marker near Fort McHenry, the a 20 minute slow creep to the Inner Harbor.  W

If you folks don't mind, I'll plan to join you?

Alerted Billable Hours of the date, haven't heard back from him though.

1 hour ago, Toddavid said:

If you folks don't mind, I'll plan to join you?

Alerted Billable Hours of the date, haven't heard back from him though.

TD,

Will you trailer down, if so where will you put in?

I keep my boat on the Chesapeake (actually the Elk River), so I'll be riding in, about a 45min trip.  

If people are looking for launching alternatives, I can point some out closer to Philly end (why go by land when you can go by water?).

Connected with Billable, one way or another, he's there.

Hello Wingnut and everyone! I have been off of this forum for about a year and to my surprise I was happy to see a get-together being planned. Just checking this is still on? I am up on the Elk River so it's a straight shot down to Still Pond for me. Approximately what time as well? I will only be doing a day trip 

Good morning all,

Weather sure seems to be cooperating this year and my hope is for clear skies and warm waters next Saturday, July 23, 2016 so that we can enjoy both the bay and the company as in the past. Very informal get together as some arrive Friday night, while others begin to arrive through the morning Saturday. Navigation is fairly straight forward, as the raft up will actually take place at the mouth of Churn Creek. Had sand bottom, and water depths decreasing gradually from 8' to 2' as you approach the beach. No sudden surprises as long as you favor the starboard half of the cove. Extensive sandbar to port, perfect for the kids and socializing.   Beach is available for dog adventures, barbecues, or easy chairs and umbrellas. Waters here are fresh so no fear of Jelly Fish. As many of you are aware, I live on property adjacent to the cove and should there be any "mechanical issues", I have an extensive shop here and should be able to get you on you way. Worst case, community launch ramp could get your ride home after a ride back to your launch site. Hey, sometimes things happen.

If you arrive before noon, then you will still have ample time to enjoy the day and return to home port before it gets too late. Over-nighting here is sheltered, and there is nothing like a little night dipping and a beach bonfire. Annapolis, Baltimore, Kent Narrows, Chesapeake City, Havre de Grace, Georgetown, Rock Hall, Middle River, and Northeast are all about an hour away or less. Saint Michaels will add another 20 minutes to your ride. If you take a peak at you chart, Still Pond Creek is the next inlet just south of the Sassafras River,  on the upper eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay. As you approach the outer fixed creek channel marker, take a 90 degree turn to starboard keeping 60 percent of the cove to port, ensuring deep water as you approach our gathering. Valet parking available as I'm sure your forum friends will walk you in. Popular spot on weekends so expect to pick your way through several boats, but plenty of room overall and I would think our group will anchor approximately 75 to 100' from shore. Looking forward to meeting new friends and re-uniting with old. ( I mean previously experienced.)  Wingnut

May be worth reposting in the main boating forum?  I know there are some Upper Chesapeake regulars over there that may not jump in here often (like me).

Looking forward to  seeing you again Wingnut and meeting new friends on Saturday. Any thoughts on how many attendees? Will bring some goodies to share.

21 minutes ago, Frank K said:

Looking forward to  seeing you again Wingnut and meeting new friends on Saturday. Any thoughts on how many attendees? Will bring some goodies to share.

Hard to say how many as we keep it very spur of the moment, but it is forecast to be in the high 90's, so it's a good bay day. My daughter will be down, and late in the day a friend or hers from Delaware is stopping down so I'll need to do a late afternoon pick up, and the perhaps Middle River, Kent Narrows, or Rock Hall for diner. Be good to see you guys again also.   W

Great raft up everyone. Was a real pleasure meeting you.

Thank you Wingnut for ' hosting' . 

I've been back now to Still Pond 2x since the event!   Great place with nice sandy bottom and festive environment.

I'm waiting for Wingnut to try to sell me a seasonal membership next ! 

Will probably hit it a few more times before end of season