Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catahoula

230 SSi

23 posts in this topic

Hi. New to the forum and looking for some info. I'm considering a used 230 SSi. Use would be primarily on small to mid size lakes and reservoirs for general cruising and perhaps tubing. I would however like to make an occasional trip to the great lakes (Erie and Michigan). Most of my boating experience is on Lake Erie so I am familiar with the lake and it's various weather and wave patterns. Would the 230 be suitable for near shore trips and short runs to the islands? All of my previous boats have been cruisers in the 26-30 foot range but these don't make much sense in my current location. Any input from those experienced with this model is appreciated!

The 220 - 230 ssi models sound like exactly what you are looking for. We use ours for day trips around the lake and the 230 handles up to a medium chop quite well and also won't kill you in fuel costs. As far as tubing no problem there, they throw a decent wake and are ever quite good wake board boats. Most definatly you will want at least the 350 and I prefer the Merc buts that's just me. Also the storage on the 230 is quite unbelievable and the ski locker is huge as well as under the helm. I can't believe the amount of stuff they hold. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

The 230 is a great boat, and has a head. 350 MAG is OK, but you will really like the big-block motors. Bow riders are not my first choice for large water boats.

brick

Watch the wave reports carefully and carry precautions. I use my 210 on erie often to fish. 7-9 miles out on the reg. There are smaller boats then mine out there. Thats said i only go when the wave report is under 3s for the day before day of and next day. Becarefull and youll be fine. I also put my 5 blade on for max bow rise if needed.

Grew up on a 19 ft 4winns on erie. The chap is much better imo. But we zpent a lot of time out there with the four winns.

The islands are pretty close. Thats said alot can change over night.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like this will work well for us. The boat I'm looking at has a low hour 5.7 Volvo. I've only seen photos so far, but it looks to be in great shape. The largest lake within an hour of us is only 8000 acres or so with several smaller lakes around. Great lakes use would probably only be 2-3 times per year and we would definitely pay attention to water conditions! We were actually considering a pontoon as we can buy new for less than the cost of a late model used boat. A pontoon would probably fill our needs perfectly on the local lakes but I just can convince myself to go that route.

We had a tritoon for one season and sounds like you also will be dissatisfied after a trip or two. It's a different mindset that I just couldn't handle. As I said in another post it's like driving a dock around. Fun for a slow river cocktail cruise but you will loose your mind when you hit the lake. Get the 230 as long the survey comes back good and don't look back.

I have a pick at home of me perch fishing in Erie about 7 miles out in my 210. Right next to me was a 22 foot pontoon. Never seen that before. My dad has a nice 22 foot pontoon with the tri-toon and a 150 Merc and its pretty nice. The wake out the back it hilarious from a distance. You can spot him WOT anywhere.

My 2001 216SSi has worked out well on most lakes in Indiana, TN, and KY.

Geist (where I slip at Marina)

Morse

Monroe

Raccoon

Brookville

Wawasee

Schafer

Cumberland KY

Dale Hollow TN.

4739FF64-BA95-49F5-AE78-22AFFD161CBA_zps

agree with others up above. that boat will work on a nice day. although i have also seen pontoons out on the great lakes - with how fast conditions change a pontoon could possibly be the scariest of boats to have 7 miles away from shore. the lakes go from calm to crazy in minutes and at least with a V hull you can carve through it to get home.

I wouldn't even consider taking a pontoon out on Lake Erie! I'm going to look over the 230 in detail on Saturday. I'll let you know what we decide.

I have a used/new to me 230 ssi . It has a 5.7 Merc and alpha drive. I learned a lot on this boat and continue to do so every time I take it out. I take mine out to Lake MI all the time on good days when the waves are less than 2ft. The kids and wife won't tolerate anything more.

It's been a good boat. Great Storage and with an extended swimming platform it does the job. It's a heavier boat and I wish I got one with the largest engine but that is just man talk... lol

Hope things go well when you look at yours.

230 SSi is a great choice for its size; I loved that hull, and felt it was the best in it's class. Simply terrific ride and handling, great looking, and I wish I had one. Seriously recommend getting one with the optional extended swim platform, or having a factory platform installed. Worked best with B3 or DP drives, but do the job with an A1 or SX single prop drive.

If you want a bigger model, look into a 260 SSi, or 256 SSi or 256 SSx.

It's a heavier boat and I wish I got one with the largest engine but that is just man talk... lol

I think I am the only person ever to be glad I have the smaller engine in my boat lol! Better fuel economy, more room for service, and slightly cheaper parts!

Well, we pulled the trigger today. The dealer is going to finish detailing the boat and store it until the weather is better. Will probably pick it up sometime early April. Can't wait for spring!

Chap2_zpshupzkthn.jpg

Chap3_zpss2ppdjz2.jpg

She looks like a honey. Make sure you get the igloo cooler that slides in under the sink. I believe it's the Marine 25. Walmart sells the standard and ultra grade. They should provide it.

Purchased my 230 Sii in 2000 was brand new, love this boat, rides like a dream take the waves great, have gone to Cumberland many times with this boat and LOTO handled the waters there also and land between the lakes and Lake Michigan. I have a 350 not mag and enjoy the gas economy. Lots of storage!

Pulls great on the road.i have 1100 hours and have not had to do anything to it. Just replaced carpet which I ordered from a company in Niles, Mi. They have the layout of the boat.

Purchased my 230 Sii in 2000 was brand new, love this boat, rides like a dream take the waves great, have gone to Cumberland many times with this boat and LOTO handled the waters there also and land between the lakes and Lake Michigan. I have a 350 not mag and enjoy the gas economy. Lots of storage!

Pulls great on the road.i have 1100 hours and have not had to do anything to it. Just replaced carpet which I ordered from a company in Niles, Mi. They have the layout of the boat.

How did the carpet turn out? Did you install the snaps yourself? I am also ready for some new rugs...

brick

Well, we pulled the trigger today. The dealer is going to finish detailing the boat and store it until the weather is better. Will probably pick it up sometime early April. Can't wait for spring!

Chap2_zpshupzkthn.jpg

Chap3_zpss2ppdjz2.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the family. For the past 4 years I have had an identical 230 parked next to me in my indoor storage facility. The owner absolutely loves it and as the only two Chaps in the facility we both got lots of compliments from the other boaters and RV owners who were in the same building. You have yourself a great boat.

Sadly, we all got the boot last month - the insurance company would no longer cover the building owner for "common storage of vehicles" and said he either had to individually compartmentalize the entire 40,000 square feet or convert back to non-vehicle bulk storage. Oh well, it was great while it lasted. Now I'm winterizing in February.... :-(

Great choice! Love ours. You should be very happy with the 5.7 in it. Mine had a 5.0 and did surprisingly well with it. Of course when replaced, I went bigger, but we pulled several skiers and 2 & 3 tubes all day long with the little 5.0.