flyboycj84

Signature owners......do you beach or back in to the island/sandbar????

40 posts in this topic

Purely out of curiosity sitting here bored on a layover......who pulls straight in and beaches it at a sandbar or party island? And who backs in and sets a stern anchor? I personally back in, but can be a pain in the wind. I feel the party is in the back of the boat, but that's just me. I used to just run my SR185 right up on the sand, but hey, it's a SR.....who cares right?!!!? Haha....I kid.

In the past with sand island/bar beach parties I have found it best to barge up to the largest boat and put out a few anchors. This lends to beter proximity for the party and leaves whatever beach area more open for floating/playing.

Most of us are bow first on the river, cruisers included. If you are stern first you have to carry your stuff to the beach through some current. Some people do back in, though. Just takes a little more time to get set up.

I've done both. Depends on the area and depth. I don't like trimming the outdrive all the way up with the boat in the water though.

I usually back in to a depth of about 3 or 4 feet and throw a front and back anchor. I trim the drive all the way up when I get in position. Usually, where we go it is such a gradual slope that I motor in for a bit, then cut the engine and hop out and guide it the rest of the way in by hand. That way I don't have to worry about running over anyone and can get it just right without too much trouble. I like the back of the boat to be facing everyone because someone can sit back there, get drinks, control the stereo (if it's on, usually it isn't), etc.

One of the things I really love about the Sunesta layout is the back end of the boat. It's very good for hanging out.

Always back in with bow anchor and a stern anchor. Where we normally go it drops off fast and can get just a few feet from shore and still have several feet under outdrives. We put a cooler on the swim platform and are able to stand in about three feet of water.

I'm always bow out so I can make a fast getaway. My favorite cove can get crowded on weekends, and it is not uncommon to see 15 boat raft-ups with a total of 4 anchors out. Keep in mind we are talking boats of all sizes, many between 35 and 40' long. Storms can come up out of nowhere and as soon as I see it coming, I'm out of there. In 2004 a freak micro-burst came up on a Sunday afternoon, and I was not in the water that day. After the storm I walked down to the swim beach only to find 79 boats heeled over on the beach. Took two more days to get them all floated. The only injury was a woman who broke her leg attempting to save her new flat screen TV. My thinking is always have an exit strategy. W

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/media/BoatDump/StillPondCreek.mp4.html

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/media/BoatDump/ChurnCreek.mp4.html

On the river we have to go in with the bow and beach the boat. We like these spots because it is much quieter and less boat traffic but it does take time to get there. The closer ones we go stern in where I cut the engine, raise it and walk it in to about 3 or 4 feet of water. One anchor off bow and stern. These are very crowded areas with several hundred boats. We always go slow coming in and watch how people are acting to determine the more family friendly neighbors.

We do not use the crowded beach areas on crowded days. Indoor A C & party groups with healthy food are used more often. Slim Jims. Sausage,. Mixed drinks to prevent dry throat from the A C. The healthy way to kill 6 hours. :)

Guys go for rides & lift engine hatches & remember the screw-ups we all did to, for and with each other. Then back to the health food for awhile.

Forgot. We raft up at the docks.

Largest boats near the dock. We leave the keys in the ignition so the smaller boats can be moved farther out. To keep all of each boats fenders between the next boat.

Good talk guys! I back in too and trim up, 2 anchors. I don't have to worry so much now, we just bought a dink and am looking forward to using it for shore runs for the pups, as well as using it as a nice lounge raft while hooked to the swim platform with Weavers.

I would not beach a boat of any size. The sand will take the gelcoat off of the keel in no time. So I back in, raise the drive, and bow and stern anchors.

When I did close to shore anchorings? I always did bow first. I did not ever want to risk a pump & bearings eating sand.

We would drop the stern anchor first on the way in. Power dig it in solidly. then idle in with the long boathook used as a depth gauge. STOP & allow for waves & tide. Jump in . Take the anchor almost to shore. Far enough out from the beach so It could dig in to wet hard sand. GENTILE power in reverse. snug lines enough & allow for tide tensions. Done. We carried A face mask & eye goggles To dig out the anchor if needed.

We had a small Aluminum boat & O B for ferrying everyone coming & going at the party.

I would not beach a boat of any size. The sand will take the gelcoat off of the keel in no time. So I back in, raise the drive, and bow and stern anchors.

Agreed, but you can still anchor with the stern out to keep the drive out of the mud.

Agreed, but you can still anchor with the stern out to keep the drive out of the mud.

Agreed. My drive never goes in the mud!

brick

With my 1990 2000SL Sport, I go bow in first to the sand bar, but do not ground. I use a dog corkscrew tie down stake at the bow and screw into the bottom and tie off to it then anchor the stern. Haven't taken the Sunesta to a sand bar yet, but will probably do the same thing. I always avoid grounding.

Wouldn't it make more sense to be anchored bow out if the waves are pushing in to shore?

It seems to me being stern out causes the rear of the boat to be constantly breaking waves. ????

As others mentioned, I would not beach the boat unless I really had to in a emergence. I would not want to suck up any sand and pushing a 10K pound boat off the beach is not that easy to do. Up here as Hatem can tell you, we have 10 to 13 foot tides that add to the boating challenge.

CJ, check out this video of an Azimut 86s from minute 3:23 to 5:25. It helps with those particular surface drives but I think if you have the right spot with the proper drop off, outdrives would probably be ok.

Great Video Hatem! Aside from the Pitbull soundrack of course :slap: Dudes got some serious balls to get anywhere near those drives while underwater. Wow. Seriously cool though.

Great Video Hatem! Aside from the Pitbull soundrack of course :slap: Dudes got some serious balls to get anywhere near those drives while underwater. Wow. Seriously cool though.

Big cajones! lol. He did beach it although he didn't lift it onto the sand which tells me he's certainly experienced and that bottom paint gets coated several times for sure!

Cool video, did you see the big time gate 1.04 into the video. What are they trying to keep out of the hotel.. Looked like Jurassic Park

Rob,

Be like me, at least 10 yards of shore.

I dont have to listen to the @#$%@#ty rap music people blast.

Or deal with those that may have had a bit too much to drink.