TexasPilot71

Another Truck Question - Ram 2500

33 posts in this topic

Looking at a used 2013 Ram Laramie 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 with Cummins diesel. 52,000 miles on the truck. Towing capacity just over 17k pounds.

Yesterday I drove a 2016 Laramie 2500 Crew cab 4x4 6.4L Hemi with under 200 miles on the odometer. Towing capacity just over 12k pounds.

Thoughts? I am leaning more toward the diesel. Boat and trailer combo should run about 10k pounds. Having never owned a diesel before, am I looking at major maintenance costs down the road? I understand all the Rams have ball joint issues, but that seems like a minor annoyance and can be replaced for under one large herd.

Appreciate some advice from the group!

Oil changes will cost more, Cummins recommends fuel filter replacement every 10k miles minimum. Need to buy quality diesel at known good stations and truck stops. Being in Texas shouldn't have to worry about anti-gel. Ford also have had ball joint issues.

The Ram diesel is a good truck. Some 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins had transmission issues, it was a valve body in the transmission and it was a widespread problem. The shifting issue was worst when towing. I'm sure with 52000 miles your truck has been checked out for the recall. You can't beat the diesel pulling power but they are a horse to drive as are most 1 ton and above trucks.

The Cummins are NOISEY, and they do suffer from trans issues and also oil leakage from vacuum pump which is not a cheap. The thing has 3 fuel pumps too and they do fail. Just had a HP injector pump rebuilt and it cost the owner 2,800. I am biased as I don't like Dodge period. W

I know not much about trucks, and nearly nothing about RAM and their diesel engines other than Nissan broke their Cummins exclusivity ... still, I can offer the following ...

- 17k lbs is better than my 11.5k for any serious towing of 10k lbs rig,

- gas engine is easier to own than diesel as an all around family truck,

- you need to balance the above conflict based on your priorities ... I did.

Sleep on it and listen to your gut ... :)

the 6.7 Cummins is as quiet as the Duramax now. I test drove a 2013 2 years ago and couldn't believe how quiet it was. The numbers say the Cummins has more power than the Duramax but after driving and then researching it, it feels sluggish compared to the others. From everything I read, it needs a tune to wake it up because all of the emissions crap really holds it back. But the Cummins engines are pretty reliable and bulletproof. The trans issues are what kills the Ram tho. However, I think they have gotten better. I would not shy away from a Ram Cummins. I actually really like the Mega Cab. And I'm a die hard Chevy/Duramax guy! I've had a diesel for 8 years and 105K miles and I've done nothing to it other than oil changes and fuel filter changes. Since they run long life oil it hasn't cost me any more than my old gassers. I drove it as my every day driver for 7 years, even with a 6" lift. Never bothered me a bit. Now I have a little car because I do have a long commute and 13 mpg got a bit old. But without the 35" mud tires, it would get more like 17mpg. My car gets 33!!:) The great thing about the crew cab trucks now is the amount of room in the back seat. We typically take the truck on trips because the kids have a lot of room in the back and all the junk goes in the bed. It's been great family vehicle.

I am not a dodge fan either but through circumstance I have three in the business, all with Cummins. Very noisy but lots and lots of torque. I also have 5 ford diesels, 2 pre 2011's that were a nightmare and 3 with the new ford 6.7's which have been pretty good. the 6.7's are quiet.

For me, if I am getting a truck, if I plan to tow 50 percent of the time or more than it will be a diesel. Anything under that I would stick with gas. I spend a lot more to maintain diesels than I do gas but for towing heavy loads diesels will hold up better.

If you plan on a lot of towing then consider going diesel (10k is a lot of weight back there) but if its just to a ramp 10 miles away on weekends and the rest of the time will be used as a family truck, gas will be cheaper in the long run.

This is just my opinion which according to my wife doesn't mean squat.

Great information, guys! Thank you!

Towing....I'd probably only need to tow on the occasional weekend trying out different lakes, etc. But those tows will be anywhere from 3 hours to 7 hours with maybe an annual trip to the coast. Serious towing, but not all that often.

Dodge offers a lifetime warranty (for about 3 large herd) on all but their diesel products. That might be worth it!

Thanks again!!

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 w/the 6.4L tow rating 15,500. I saw no reason for a diesel as I don't need it to tow all the time. I've never heard of ball joint issues with these trucks and I've owned 6 of them through the years.. Not all were 2500's though.

I love the truck and have no problems at all towing my 02 280 SIG.. The HEMI is an amazing engine.

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 w/the 6.4L tow rating 15,500. I saw no reason for a diesel as I don't need it to tow all the time. I've never heard of ball joint issues with these trucks and I've owned 6 of them through the years.. Not all were 2500's though.

I love the truck and have no problems at all towing my 02 280 SIG.. The HEMI is an amazing engine.

Great to know! The 2016 I was looking at had the 6.4L, but tow rating was in the 12,500 range. I think there are only two axle ratios so I wonder if there's something else that changes the tow rating. I'd be happy with 15,500 pounds!

Yea TP mine has the 4:10 gear ratio... The one you're looking at probably has the 3:73.

Is the gas mileage all that bad? I hear it cuts it in half?? (Not that I believe that)

MPG difference between gear ratios? I've seen tests on it and it's really minimal if anything. Depends on how you drive really. I get close to the same mileage with this truck as I did with my 2011 1500 w/5.7 and 3:73.. It really comes down to your driving style.. Highway driving w/cruise control I get about 18 MPG. Without Cruise control high 14 - low 15 but I have a heavy foot.

MPG difference between gear ratios? I've seen tests on it and it's really minimal if anything. Depends on how you drive really. I get close to the same mileage with this truck as I did with my 2011 1500 w/5.7 and 3:73.. It really comes down to your driving style.. Highway driving w/cruise control I get about 18 MPG. Without Cruise control high 14 - low 15 but I have a heavy foot.

Good stuff! I've heard the ratios make a major difference in mpg. Maybe I heard wrong. Thanks for the first-hand info!

I have the exact truck your looking at. The only offered rear ratio is the 3.42 unless you get the Aisin Trans. I love mine! Drove it to FL over Xmas and averaged 19-20 mpg loaded up, I am deleted and on the 100 hp tune. Carli has a fix for the crappy stock balljoints. The only issues I have heard with the balljoints are from people who leveled/lifted and run larger tires. My trans Has held up fine with 150 tune but I don't beat on my truck, and I run the 100hp daily and while towing.

I have the exact truck your looking at. The only offered rear ratio is the 3.42 unless you get the Aisin Trans. I love mine! Drove it to FL over Xmas and averaged 19-20 mpg loaded up, I am deleted and on the 100 hp tune. Carli has a fix for the crappy stock balljoints. The only issues I have heard with the balljoints are from people who leveled/lifted and run larger tires. My trans Has held up fine with 150 tune but I don't beat on my truck, and I run the 100hp daily and while towing.

Many thanks for the feedback! That's good mileage too. Yes, I saw that there are some great aftermarket ball joints, but it did seem mixed as to who had issues and who didn't. Looks like a fairly benign replacement (< 1 large herd installed...maybe even only half a herd). That's certainly not a deal killer. If I go with a new (gas) truck, I'll likely do the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty anyway. Costs about 3 large herd, but should make me want to keep the truck for at least 10-15 years. That's the payback!

Thanks again. Great info!

I've been running a 6" lift on my Chevy for 105K miles. Knock on wood but the only issue I've had in 7 years is a toasted U-Joint in the drive shaft.

This is my opinion and only mine. But if your hauling 10,000 lbs or more your gonna want a diesel. It will cost you more up front and the oil changes will cost your more for the amount of oil. But you will be happier versus a gasser. The gas mileage is better with a diesel, the diesel engine will last longer, you'll never have problems climbing hills, and the diesel will have engine braking.

A gasser with a 4.10 rear end will average 10 miles to a gallon while towing and 14 when not towing.

This is my opinion and only mine. But if your hauling 10,000 lbs or more your gonna want a diesel. It will cost you more up front and the oil changes will cost your more for the amount of oil. But you will be happier versus a gasser. The gas mileage is better with a diesel, the diesel engine will last longer, you'll never have problems climbing hills, and the diesel will have engine braking.

A gasser with a 4.10 rear end will average 10 miles to a gallon while towing and 14 when not towing.

Thank you! I am back leaning toward the diesel! :)

I've had both, and for 10k both the trucks you listed will handle it without any problems. Certainly the diesel will be the more comfortable towing experience, as it will shift less often and rev lower. The hemi will downshift for most inclines and rev up to get in its power band, but that's what it's designed to do. Both Dodges I had were very reliable, no ball joints or transmission issues. Service on the diesel is more expensive, but less frequent than the hemi, so it evens out. I don't think you can go wrong either way, just get the nicer one or the better deal!

I've had both, and for 10k both the trucks you listed will handle it without any problems. Certainly the diesel will be the more comfortable towing experience, as it will shift less often and rev lower. The hemi will downshift for most inclines and rev up to get in its power band, but that's what it's designed to do. Both Dodges I had were very reliable, no ball joints or transmission issues. Service on the diesel is more expensive, but less frequent than the hemi, so it evens out. I don't think you can go wrong either way, just get the nicer one or the better deal!

Great advice. Thanks!!!

Get a truck that can tow a 40 footer. A Freightliner for towing toys.

Check out this video on YouTube: