Kamacaru

Waxing a hardtop on a 2013 Signature 310

Hi there, I am new to the forum and new to Chaparral. I had a question about caring for the hardtop on a Chaparral Signature 310 (2013). I do not have a covered slip, but want to avoid oxidation of the gelcoat. What is everyone else doing for the care of this area. I have read through all the forums prior to posting this question.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I get two coats of hand wax on it, one before winter storage and one right before spring launch. I would recommend someone that doesn't have a lot of excess baggage and lays down to distribute weight better. I had to get some spider cracks fixed last spring. Not sure if it was from someone getting up there or temp change during storage. Noticed them before the radar install was started. I then try and clean throughout the summer with a long handled brush. I think this would be minimum care, would like to hit it again in July or August but have not done so to date.

The arch is a challenge to get to and is probably the most sun blasted part of the boat. by mid summer i notice it is time to shine it up. i start with a normal boat soap to get rid of dried up bugs, spider poop, etc. i tend to get a lot of gnats and they die up there and they are hard to remove. Anyway, after the basic scrub i usually have to treat the top w/ a buffing compound. i use a shurhold buffer as it is too much work and not as nice results to do it by hand. once the buffing compound is on/off it becomes very slippery up there!!! i slid off once into the water, kids laughed. head back up and apply a coat of wax with a power buffer. I too, attempt to maintain that area 2-3 times per year. The hardest parts are the main supports just not a really good way to apply even pressure when at the dock, easier in fall when i have a ladder

Thank you both for your response. I am glad I asked the question. I am a petite 5'1" 125 lbs, girl of course, what man would describe themselves as "petite". I have the Shurhold polisher as well, I will try yo work with a ladder the best I can. I have one of those little giant ladders, no clue how to use it, but I'll see if I can rig it to work. Falling off the hardtop is not an option as I have fingers on either side of the boat, ouch. Any preferences on wax? I read many of the threads on wax, and some people seem to like Carnuba wax the best, with applications often. I will be honest, I waxed my current boat, that I'm selling twice a year, and paid more attention to the foredeck and bimini because of the UV exposure. This will be a whole new experience, and I look forward to talking more will you all!

Wax and wax often. If you wait until it looks like it needs it, probably too late.

My boat is much smaller, and no arch, but it gets waxed twice a year. And it lives inside a garage, so only sees 20 days of sunlight a year.

brick

Hi there, I am new to the forum and new to Chaparral. I had a question about caring for the hardtop on a Chaparral Signature 310 (2013). I do not have a covered slip, but want to avoid oxidation of the gelcoat. What is everyone else doing for the care of this area. I have read through all the forums prior to posting this question.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Wow, congratulations on a terrific boat and welcome. You got some excellent advice from Stillkicking and Delaney but make sure you don't fall off, that's for sure! Being in the newbie section is this your first boat?

The only advice I can give you (if you find that you can't do it yourself) is to find someone at the marina you trust would be very careful to wax it for you and being a member, that usually comes with many privileges (I doubt waxing the hardtop would be one of them) but as part of that slip membership, they can offer you a discount and usually those guys know about these hardtops and how to be careful and shouldn't cost that much.

Either way, again, congrats on an awesome purchase and post some pics when you get a chance. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great responses! 

I am not new to boating, this will be my second boat. My first was a Crownline 260 CR, and now the Sig 310. I expect to take   delivery of the boat next week. I'm a real do-it your-self kinda gal. I take a lot of pride in my boat. I can't wait until it gets here!

congrats on the upcoming delivery, and good for you for being a DIYer.  feel free to ask the group anything lots of good info on the forum

Thanks for all the tips! I chose the Collinite. Very easy to work with, but you really have to work in small sections, and it looks fabulous!!