Hatem

What Do You Use To Protect Your Outdrive When Slipped?

142 posts in this topic

Lol no worries, I was thinking man he just got a beauty of an F-450 last year!!!! 

I hear ya on a long day for sure and it was a awesome day 87 degrees and sunny.  Tomorrow cold and rainy.... Unbelievable!

I know I gotta get used to that fact that.  BTW, I just learned the other day that if I'm over 26,000 lbs in the state of MA, I need a CDL licence.  That means I would have to tow a Signature 35 to get to that weight lol.  They're also out busting everyone with those trucks and what they're hauling.  It's only a matter of time before it happens to us but we're well below that, so all good.

87 degrees in the land of the tundra at Lambaugh field!?  That's amazing and 87 is pretty hot.  That's a heat  wave for us lol.  Rain here also most of the weekend.  I have business to attend to so it won't be too bad, but itching to get the covers off and going to town! 

I work for a contractor in TN and we're running into weight issues too.  At 26,000 in any state you need a CDL.  That 26,000 number isn't your weight though.  Its the GCWR, or the total of the GVWR of the truck, plus the GVWR of the trailer.  What's more is that I have been told you can't cross a state line with more than 10,000 GCWR with out being subject to FMCSA requirements.  Our Chevy 3500 dually's are 13,050 GVW.  That doesn't give us a lot of room to play. 

Brett

My utility trailer loaded tops out at well over 10,000 but it is tagged residential and I can by-pass both the weigh stations and DOT roadside inspection spot checks. Are private, non-commercial boat trailers not exempt?  Likely different state to state.   W

Yeah, Check local listings, but I believe in most states recreational vehicles are exempt.  A lot of it comes down to whether a trooper wants to mess with you or not.  Fortunately there's usually lots of other low hanging fruit for them DUI's and speeding are pretty straight forward.  My guys who have been pulled over have spent several hours pulled over with the officers spending significant time flipping through rule books.  What further complicates it for us in TN is there are no titles or mandatory registration for trailers, so if you want a record of ownership with the state (i.e. for insurance) you have to register it.  The only tag available says "SEMI". Even an 8' tilt bed with an ATV on it.  Try and explain that to a trooper in a different state. 

28 minutes ago, TNBrett said:

I work for a contractor in TN and we're running into weight issues too.  At 26,000 in any state you need a CDL.  That 26,000 number isn't your weight though.  Its the GCWR, or the total of the GVWR of the truck, plus the GVWR of the trailer.  What's more is that I have been told you can't cross a state line with more than 10,000 GCWR with out being subject to FMCSA requirements.  Our Chevy 3500 dually's are 13,050 GVW.  That doesn't give us a lot of room to play. 

Brett

Thanks, I did know that it wasn't just the weight of the vehicle, but combined with what you're towing which is why I mentioned I'm ok for now with the 276ssx and in order to reach that 26Llbs or beyond, I would have to be towing a Signature 350 (I know I shortened it by calling it Sig 35) since the vehicle itself has a GVWA of 14,000 lbs on it's own and towing my 276 with a dry weight of 6,800 (supposedly) puts me at 20,800 lbs.  But you also have to factor in the trailer and added weight on the boat (trailer max load is 9,700lbs) so if you just take that and add that to the 14,000 on the truck, I'm close already at 23,700 lbs.  I already know I have about 900 lbs to spare on the trailer and boat combined  so I figured I'm close to $23,000 GVWR right now!

I am a GC myself BTW and have a 2005 F-350 but since I bought the F-450, I've been using it to tow the boat only and I've actually towed it all the way to Florida, stopped in Maryland to pick up another member's boat but It weighs less than mine and I've also towed my 276 from MA to OC Maryland without any issues except losing one of my guide posts on the trailer on the way back. 

My dealer was the one who told me this is why they only have F-350 duallies because their always pulling heavy loads and the MA Dot or State Police is all them constantly as they deliver boats or leave the yard with that big electric trailer that raises and lowers boats etc to check and see if they're overweight and if the driver has a CDL if needed.

We should ok and hey, if we get pulled over it'll be because of the 6" over the beam which requires and permit BUT, that permit  doesn't allow you to travel on Sundays, at least here in MA which puts a whole other twist on the problem lol. 

I like how she came across the chine? with that painted point and kept going under the hull.  Looks very cool and she and her husband must've bottom painted quite a few boats.  She asked me all these questions on how I wanted certain things etc.  She said she already knew where the water-line was on this model since she and her husband have done a few but I still sent her a bunch of pics and she even had an old water line that was slightly visible from not cleaning it too well before dropping it off lol.  I don't usually see the paint with a point like that.  Now I'll be looking around for anyone else who has that :D.

20160507_090711_zpsbmsbauhz.jpg

26 minutes ago, TNBrett said:

Yeah, Check local listings, but I believe in most states recreational vehicles are exempt.  A lot of it comes down to whether a trooper wants to mess with you or not.  Fortunately there's usually lots of other low hanging fruit for them DUI's and speeding are pretty straight forward.  My guys who have been pulled over have spent several hours pulled over with the officers spending significant time flipping through rule books.  What further complicates it for us in TN is there are no titles or mandatory registration for trailers, so if you want a record of ownership with the state (i.e. for insurance) you have to register it.  The only tag available says "SEMI". Even an 8' tilt bed with an ATV on it.  Try and explain that to a trooper in a different state. 

27 minutes ago, TNBrett said:

Interesting stuff.  We have to register the trailers, have them inspected and insured.  Part of my insurance on the trailer is split between BoatUS which takes care of anything from the ramp or water related accidents and my vehicle insurance on the trailer for road liability.  So registration and insurance are mandatory in this state which is often called Taxachusetts!

One time I had a statie at the ramp stop me on the passenger side, my wife opened the window and he asked us why we didn't have the back strapped.  I told him because they interfere with the trim tabs and I didn't want to ruin them.  He shook his head and said you're asking for trouble and I told him that I would put them on once I got the bunks elongated to be able to make a slight modification on the straps so they miss the trim tabs.  I don't know if there is a law on the stern straps?  I'm assuming they fall under "safely securing your boat while hauling" but we laughed it off with him (I think the admiral made him give us a break with her sweet talk and smile lol.  I use them all the time, now.  Just I need to get creative and put a corner on that transom and have the strap ride it instead of getting pinched in between the trim tab and its recessed spot.   But forward weight/movement concerns me a lot more than the boat sliding backwards.

Sheesh I notice the same guy from last year in his same slip with a boat that has a VP engine and the drive has nothing on it (as far as antifouling) and he's back in he same spot again this year as well and the drive looks perfect.  I don't know how he does it but I hope he's there a bit later when I swing by and ask him.  

That new, gray, antifouling paint I bought is an exact match to the original color of the drive but I was going to paint everything including the logo but his logo is widely exposed, meaning he either had no antifouling paint on it or has didn't paint the logo to keep it looking original.  But then he would get growth on that and I suppose that's alright and easy enough to clean a small spot like that.  We'll see.

Man it's getting close!  Can't wait to get out there.  Hopefully no problems,  and grumble is gone as well!

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Sheesh I notice the same guy from last year in his same slip with a boat that has a VP engine and the drive has nothing on it (as far as antifouling) and he's back in he same spot again this year as well and the drive looks perfect.  I don't know how he does it but I hope he's there a bit later when I swing by and ask him.  

That new, gray, antifouling paint I bought is an exact match to the original color of the drive but I was going to paint everything including the logo but his logo is widely exposed, meaning he either had no antifouling paint on it or has didn't paint the logo to keep it looking original.  But then he would get growth on that and I suppose that's alright and easy enough to clean a small spot like that.  We'll see.

Man it's getting close!  Can't wait to get out there.  Hopefully no problems,  and grumble is gone as well!

There was a TBD tin based available in quarts for aluminum boats that was clear, and worked really well on out-drives. This PDF I thought had a lot of good information.   http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/antifouling_101_usa_eng.pdf

52 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

There was a TBD tin based available in quarts for aluminum boats that was clear, and worked really well on out-drives. This PDF I thought had a lot of good information.   http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/antifouling_101_usa_eng.pdf

Wow, that PDF is truly incredible.  The first pic showing growth on something (hard to tell what it was they don't say what part of the boat that was) looks almost identical to the growth I got on the drive last year.  

That could be very well what this fellow at the marina used.  I'm open to trying it because I'm using an antifouling paint on the drive itself, but I'll tape the logos off and then go over that with this stuff.  Will have to read about the compatibility between the two (if the Interlux you mentioned on that  PDF works over the antifouling paint I'm using with I can't sand or rough up to make anything else stick on it for obvious reasons.  But we'll see it if works and if it doesn't, then it'll just peel off but at least it'll stay on the logos and that's a good thing I want. 

Too bad it's rainy as heck today, not even going to the marina or even working on the boat.  Drag cause there's not that much time left before the nice weather comes along and the boat needs to be in the water by then.  A lot of the maintenance and mods left to do that might have to be done at the slip.

Thanks for posting that.

I hope for a sunny weekend because I have A LOT of work to get that thing water-ready!  Temp is changing for sure and we don't get too many months in our season, so gotta take advantage of as much as one can.

Well, drive is antifouled with Pettit gray and it's a little darker than the original color but beats the heck out of the black tar.  It's flat, very flat as a matter of fact and I used almost 2 cans on it after spending a million dollars on a can of primer just to spot prime any bare metal.  Finished installing the duo props and tomorrow we'll run it again to make sure all taping I did worked well (boy was that a nightmare just keeping the wires out of the way and taping the cylinders and it's going up and down even a bit quieter than it did last year.

Finished all the rod holders on both sides (man was bolting that @#$%@# a nightmare, especially on the portside but we'll give it a yard test and then this weekend clean the interior and install the carpet and then splash her.  First thing is we'll be looking for NO grumbles when we turn to either direction otherwise the whole dealership will be riding with me this time and then we'll keep an eye on the growth this season and hopefully we shouldn't have any issues ISA.

20160518_171807_zps52c4anat.jpg

20160518_171819_zps30jmf3ra.jpg

Rock & Roll, baby!  Rod holders are even more exciting lol.  Oh, and I also have to install the flag holder as well.  Brand new 24" flag an some other stuff on the arch.

Stainless steel looks good though and with the growth from last year I don't remember there being anything on the props and they are in great condition.  No signs of rust of corrosion anywhere.  We'll see, maybe I'll hit them with a quick clear coat of the Pettit antifouling.  Thanks for the good advice, Drew.

On 5/19/2016 at 11:50 AM, drewm3i said:

No paint on the props? Would help a lot with corrosion...

Well I'll tell you what,  buddy, we pulled the boat out today from it's slip after 4 or 5 weeks of if being in some of the most disgusting, ocean water (because of all the dredging and construction and demolition and rebuilding going on in the area) that I wasn't worried about the bottom paint, but the drive looked better than when I put her in LOL!  I can't believe how good that Pettit, gray spray paint worked!  Check these out bro.  First of all, check out the border of the swim platform and how filthy it is from the crap in the water.  But look at the drive yaaaay very happy about result.  You can even see some of the growth I left on the trim trim sending unit to the left was cleaned off for some weird reason!  Maybe it's the temp of the water at this time of year.

20160607_151756_zpscwc3avns.jpg

More pics of the drive in great condition so far.  Grumble is gone too which I'm psyched about and the steering is smooth as silk.

Notice how it's flat paint?  This was as soon as we pulled up the ramp before I got a chance to clean it.

20160607_151725_zpsmlkog6fp.jpg

Another pic of the portside of the drive.

20160607_151808_zpsnqcbnavx.jpg

And one more for the trim sending unit which went in a lot dirtier than that LOL! :D

20160607_171017_zps7njwv0tu.jpg

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but this fellow parked on the other side of out dock has a BRAND NEW drive installed.  The reason is because I asked him how he kept it looking like that before bringing our boat in and told him it looked brand new!  He said that's because it is!  They had so much growth on theirs from last year that they were forced to buy a new one.  I which I took a pic of it when it was brand new, about 4 weeks ago but I took this one just last week and I can't believe after buying a new one, he's left it without protecting it and this was last week, you should see the amount of growth on it as of just yesterday!

20160602_155540_zpslx0qgyzi.jpg

Right now it's probably filled with 3 times more growth than you see in that pic.  I was gonna tell him about the Pettit paint but he seems like a very unfriendly person and not sure he wants any advice, otherwise he would've done something to protect it.  But that's ok, I will leave him my card and tell him about the Pettit and show him some pics.  He better get to it now before it's engulfed with growth because the water is in worst condition than it was last year!  Ooof!