Teakfreak

2 gas fills 1 tank

22 posts in this topic

Is this a Chaparral thing ???

I'm still in the "Getting acquainted" stage with the 250 Suncoast and found out it has fill caps on port and starboard that feed to a single 75 gal tank.

It's a pretty cool idea as you won't need to drag a gas hose across your boat. When you pull up to the gas dock your always on the correct side.

Never saw this type of set-up like this. Cudos to Chap. :-). 👍

They really do try to prevent collisions at the refueling dock. Chap does build for the average owner.

Have seen more than 1 cruiser trying to do a 180 on the down wind side. They almost get it done. Then have to drift away & start all over to do a bow out tie up. Mean time the other boats are yelling at it to " Watch out ! " Hand held fenders screeching on hulls. Youngest docker racing for the big fire extinguisher on wheels.

I am in no hurry to stay in the waiting line.

They really do try to prevent collisions at the refueling dock. Chap does build for the average owner.

Have seen more than 1 cruiser trying to do a 180 on the down wind side. They almost get it done. Then have to drift away & start all over to do a bow out tie up. Mean time the other boats are yelling at it to " Watch out ! " Hand held fenders screeching on hulls. Youngest docker racing for the big fire extinguisher on wheels.

I am in no hurry to stay in the waiting line.

For sure !!

The most seasoned boater only has "So much" control In wind and current, especially in a boat with no weight or draft.

Its a nice set-up, but other builders are doing it to.

My last boat had 2 tanks. It held 220 gals.

The fuel inlets were on both sides of the boat (port &starboard) along the gunnel. The problem was that at the fuel dock to fill the second tank you had the fuel hose dragged across the boat. And even worse you needed to do a balancing act because it was situated along side the salon. Meaning on the far side you had a 12" walkway to work with to remove the cap and fuel up and you had to do it with 1 hand or you were falling overboard.

Stupidest set-up in the history of marine engineering.

Not only two fuel lines but also two vent lines ... I presume ... could you confirm.

The fuel line hiccups due to poor venting are well documented on this forum.

Could be that the Chap killed two gremlins with one add-on?

Not only two fuel lines but also two vent lines ... I presume ... could you confirm.

The fuel line hiccups due to poor venting are well documented on this forum.

Could be that the Chap killed two gremlins with one add-on?

Good thought

I'm going out tomorrow, I'll try to remember to check out the vents.

One reason other than redundancy would be ... the fuel ports Chap used to use come with the vents build in. If there is a vent inside a fuel port, it needs to be tubed back to the gas tank (spills should not end up in the bilge) or blocked off somehow. Other option is to have two not vented fuel ports and one separate vent port elsewhere ... therefore my original question.

Where it really shines is filling when you're trailering. Easy to fill the vehicle, followed by the boat. The cap's always on the same side as the vehicle's fueling port.

Hey, now that's an idea: dual ports for fueling a vehicle?

:slap:

I think it is a great thing.

My prior boat was a Stingray and only had one fuel fill. This setup is much nicer and more convenient. It's also great for the gas station when on the trailer!

Also, this boat is much better about accepting fuel. With the Stingray, I had to keep listening pretty closely for gasoline as I filled. If I waited for the auto off on the pump, there would invariably be an eruption of gasoline all over the back of the boat onto the swimdeck. A LOT of gas.

People say Chaparral is bad with the hiccuping have no idea how good they have it. Lots of Stingray owners would be washing gallons of gasoline off their swimdecks every time they fueled up.

Good thought

I'm going out tomorrow, I'll try to remember to check out the vents.

Any new insight ... I am curious how Chap rigged this and what kind of fuel/vent ports was used.

Any new insight ... I am curious how Chap rigged this and what kind of fuel/vent ports was used.

Sorry Rich

It was the maiden "family" voyage.

I, promise to get,back to you on that.

Still getting familia with the basics.

Each gas fill on the late model boats has an integrated vent as per EPA rules, so there are indeed 2 vents in the system. Older Chaps had a single flush mounted vent on the side of the hull per fuel fill.

Sure do wish car companies would have gone for this idea, but maybe they didn't want the stigma of "Must be hard on fuel to need that...'

Do apologize for being wrong. Appeared to my eye to be an angle flip up type that has the fuel fill hose and a separate vent hose. Chaparral parts look up shows the same part # for each fuel fill. Sadly Chaparral doesn't use a manufacturer part # any more, so knowing that way is fraught with uncertainty. Thanks for correcting me. Memory was going off pre-EPA affected models with twin tanks.

Perhaps an Attwood Carbon Canister fuel tank system.

99DFCCAS1-Side_mn.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

CarbonCanisterSystem_web.jpg

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/store/product/files/1358/69484-ccsdeckfillinstr-rc.pdf

Yes he definitely should have the carbon canister. BTW do not overfill your tank. Once it clicks off, stop. You don't want fuel pushed into the canister.

Do apologize for being wrong. Appeared to my eye to be an angle flip up type that has the fuel fill hose and a separate vent hose. Chaparral parts look up shows the same part # for each fuel fill. Sadly Chaparral doesn't use a manufacturer part # any more, so knowing that way is fraught with uncertainty. Thanks for correcting me. Memory was going off pre-EPA affected models with twin tanks.

Perhaps an Attwood Carbon Canister fuel tank system.

99DFCCAS1-Side_mn.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

CarbonCanisterSystem_web.jpg

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/store/product/files/1358/69484-ccsdeckfillinstr-rc.pdf

No need to apologize. I re-read my post "end of story" and it came across as very rude.

I apologize to you

I believe all boats built after Jan 1 2009. My 2014 had the Atwood canister. My 2016 a different style and i have not looked close enough to see who makes it yet.

I had a Supreme ski boat that had a tank fill on each side, but man did it take gas slow. Finally got smart and started to loosen the other side to fill so air would vent. Filled a whole lot better. Wishing my Chap had twin fill.