2004lebanshee

Mixing Batteries questions.

37 posts in this topic

If both batteries are built to design specifications ? I would take either & not worry for at least 5 years.

But if the engine throws lots of heat at WOT & idling ? All life spans can be anything.

If you keep the water level where it belongs in a wet cell ? You are good for many years. Most people simply are not aware of the battery needing WATER.

For them a AGM is perfect for ALL their batteries.

Still have the AGM wanting a different floating voltage than the wet acid.

On 2/23/2016 at 11:26 AM, soldier4402 said:

Good information I know AGM is good. But one thing about AGM is price point. Ive always bought deep cycles which can be had at sams or Costco for at least half the price of AGM if not more. Last deep cycles I bought from sams were 70 a piece and are going on 5 years of use with no problems.

Yes your right, price point. But I must say, I have 5 AGM batteries and 2 of them are hitting the 7 or 8 year mark. So it is a give and take.

If one has overfilled a battery with distilled water (I need to get that filler tool from Advance Auto) is there anything I can do to save the battery? When charging last year, I did notice contents from the battery leaking from some of the plastic filler screws on top of the battery.

Aqua

Yes there is. Call all the auto parts places in your area. Some WILL remove excess WATERED DOWN acid in the cells & bring it back to where it should be when fully charged. I had a battery company wharehouse & service center nearby. They did repair over watered & diluted cells free of charge. They also sold that auto refiller device.

I just bought a 2007 256 SSI and by the battery switch are a positive and negative post. Are these post a direct wire to the motor that raises and lowers engine hood? If I disconnect the batteries from the boat then these post are the power for the engine compartment hood? Also, could I use a "solar" trickle charger for the batteries as my boat is stored in a storage yard? Thanks in advance for any input.

On 2/23/2016 at 7:36 AM, soldier4402 said:

I know some do car batteries for starting batt and deep cycle for house batt. Personally I just make them both deep cycle. never had an issue.

I used to run a pair of Group 24 dual purpose batteries, 690 MCA. According to Merc, my 350MAG/MPI requires a minimum of 950MCA. So I now have #1 starting (1000MCA) and #2 deep cycle.  The Merc starts much more guickly now. 

A 2-bank on-board charger keeps everything topped up and ready for the lake. 

brick

On 2/23/2016 at 7:52 AM, soldier4402 said:

Yes possibly. But deep cycles are a more hearty battery made for charge and recharge and so forth. AGM might not be a bad choice, but deep cycle if you ask me is better

The two battery types are very different.  Starting batteries are designed for short duration, high output, and minimal depletion before recharging.  Deep cycle are designed for slow discharge, and deep depletion before recharge. Using either incorrectly will shorten their service life.

Use the correct tool for the job...

brick

We would think that with so much electronics in a boat computer that starting would not be affected by battery voltage.

WRONG !!  On Honda V 6 engines...... I could no believe the difference a new battery made. 1/4 of a second starts  Hot or at 28 F............There is a flaw in my computer to be that sensitive to voltage.  Car runs excellent at 132,000 miles. Love it.  Even Honda makes not so greats.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

We would think that with so much electronics in a boat computer that starting would not be affected by battery voltage.

WRONG !!  On Honda V 6 engines...... I could no believe the difference a new battery made. 1/4 of a second starts  Hot or at 28 F............There is a flaw in my computer to be that sensitive to voltage.  Car runs excellent at 132,000 miles. Love it.  Even Honda makes not so greats.

It is not a flaw. Computer needs to see a specific voltage, or it does not fire. When you hit the starter, voltage drops momentarily, so the computer waits until it sees the correct value. Use a starting battery of the correct minimum MCA and there is no issue. 

brick