Sign in to follow this  
muddywater

Mercury PVS vent plugs

I picked up a new prop for my 07 210 SSI with the 5.0 MPI. I was running the stock 20p aluminum prop and went to a 19p Rev 4. We do a lot of water sports and I wanted to try and get better hole shot. I was going to try different vent plugs but was wondering if anyone else has some experience with this already. I also didn't know if I could use 2 small and 2 solid at the same time. Seems everything I've found on the inter web people have had the best of luck with either the solid or small.

I have a B3 drive, so no vent plugs. You will probably have to go out and try each option, see what works best.

brick

BINGO Brick.

There are so many variables in each boat setup. Really a trial & error job to get right.

Good luck with the plugs.

The props have the holes there to allow a high speed at W O T.

BUT

The large pitch & low prop slippage can cause a engine to almost stall when the throttle is slammed to wide open. With a skier in the water. My first 4 blade S S could almost stall the V8. I elected to stay with a super grippy, fast revving prop. Reduced the pitch 4" ? Love it.

There is usually more than 1 way to solve most problems.

They are used with any type of engine that exhausts thru the center of the prop. 2, 4 or Diesel can use them.

I thought vent plugs were a 2 stroke thing.

I think they will work on 2 or 4-stroke motors. The concept is to allow for some initial prop slip, which allows the motor to rev up more quickly, getting into the power band. I have a friend who has them on his SeaRay. He keeps them fully plugged. So much for that idea...

brick

The holes are more for outboards however I have found the small size worked well on my boat when I had an Alpha. What it is suppose to do is create exhaust air bubbles out the holes which allows the prop to turn more quickly when you engage due to less friction. Once water rushes past the plugs they become closed and all the exhaust goes out the back of the prop.

These days with so many exhaust "tubes" being used in leau of bellows, it makes me wonder if the holes have any effect at all.

I would recommend going with the small PVS holes. NOTE: changing them out can be fun, and if you're arthritic, forget about this particular project.

Trying 2 small holes vs. all 4 as your first test would be a wise course of action.

Thanks for the info. I think I will try the solid then small. It isn't the easiest to change these things, but hot water does seem to help get them in. Just won't have any of that when I'm out on the water ... :slap:

I had a Vensura four blade prop on my old Crownline 202 with the vents. I pulled the plugs out once just for fun and I will say they do work. I backed the boat off of the trailer in reverse, went into forward gear, and it would hardly move. Since there was no one else at the ramp that day I idled out into the river and I couldn't even get on plane. Idled back and trailered the boat, put the plugs back in, and everything went back to normal.

Nothing beats a High Five for holeshot, but if you want all around performance, getting a 4 blade ss prop that allows the engine to reach the upper range of WOT RPM is a great combo.

5.0L power is a little light on torque for a Revolution4, but that or a Vensura would be what I would recommend for the 210 SSi; most sport boats for that matter with single prop powertrain. Enertia works too, but not as well IMHO.

19" is where I'd start for pitch in a right hand rotation.

revolution-4.jpg