Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TidalPotomac

Unusual Hazards?

29 posts in this topic

Wanted to hear from others what unusual hazards you encounter on your stomping grounds, on the lower Potomac, we have a Proving ground for ordinances where up to 6 inch projectiles are lobbed down river at targets. During these exercises you'll be approached by the military warning you and giving safe navigation advice. There are Yellow markers indicating where to meet authorities during exercises.

There are observation towers along the river to track projectiles. They used to track 15" projectiles, however they are limited to 6" projectiles today.

Another place we have is Mallows Bay, where a ghost fleet of more than 230 ships were sunk creating a graveyard of ships. Except for a channel leading to a boat landing, the bay is full of ship timbers and protruding steel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallows_Bay

Share you special hazards.

Big, fat, stinking, slow, God awful, prop eating........MANATEES. Have to go most places at idle because of the Manatees. But, I'm on a boat going slow.....which is better than any day going fast on land. Unless of course I'm in a Vette.

Biggest hazard is the marina fueling dock on any waterway. Other boaters smoking, talking on their cell phone, leaving their engine idleing, not running the blower before restarting, and the best one "barbecuing while fueling".

Canadian Army live firing range. Lake Ontario near Niagara On The Lake, just west of the Niagara River outlet. Markers offshore indicating the area for boaters to avoid.

I may be stealing Drew's thunder, but when we started talking about a Dry Tortugas run, I broke out the Navionics and played around with different routes. I was surprised to see warnings for unexploded mines cautioning boaters from dropping anchor. Wouldn't that ruin your day?!

Full darkness with drunks / druggies in go fast boats. Music blaring. USCG food to run down.

Whenever I hear a crash sound I hope it is only them being killed or injured. Removes those bad genes from reproducing.

Drunk inattentive rednecks in Bayliners and Maxums...and 90% of OH boaters.

And anyone in a Fountain... (usually a short, bald fellow with gold chains and a trashy blonde)

Aberdeen Proving Ground lies just across the bay from me, and sometimes their test firings want to lift my house off the foundation. In past years they would shoot into the bay and also drop ordnance, but common sense and pollution concerns ended that practice years ago. There is however un-exploded ordnance yet to be found out there and the exclusion zone runs from the Susquehanna Flats near Havre de Grace, south to Pooles Island. The area is well identified with yellow warning markers and should you venture into said waters without checking in, you are sure to get a visit from their patrol boat. You can transit the area with permission, but are not permitted to anchor there. Aberdeen built a man made lake on property where they have mounted fixed vessel simulators loaded with sensors, and they do all the in water testing there now. On occasion while transiting the bay you will see the impact splashes while transiting the bay. It's guaranteed by the U.S. Army that you will always hear them. W

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_Proving_Ground

Boaters who have the wrong ground tackle and/or the skills to use and set it. They are the first to break loose when the wind picks up. I have the boat pole at the ready...

AquaTherapy, too true. Never can relax with others anchored nearby.

"I dropped my mushroom anchor straight down and tied it off. Why won't it hold??"

My most annoying is the giant log that is floating below the surface. I've been successful at finding several by touch😟

unmarked rocks that are just below the surface of the water. Yes, I found one last year!! Thank God the Bravo III is built so stout!

My most annoying is the giant log that is floating below the surface. I've been successful at finding several by touch😟

That'll mess up the alignment...

Baja "drivers"

I was at Lake Cumberland and saw this boat (I didnt take these pictures).

boat_zpslbm4nxwv.jpg

193672208_VZxAZ-M_zpsbpnvsvgr.jpg

well he decided he wanted to beach it that day.

well he decided he wanted to beach it that day.

Should I beach my boat bow or stern first???

Lobster traps buoys in our areas, there's just zillions of them to dodge round, make sure they don't end up tangled in your drive.

Lobster traps buoys in our areas, there's just zillions of them to dodge round, make sure they don't end up tangled in your drive.

Crab and Eel pots here, and the discipline is to just stay out of waters between 12' and 15' deep, especially at night. The majority of the upper Chesapeake is nice as there is a sweet spot between the shipping channel and the crab grounds. Find yourself about 25' of water and enjoy life.

W