Skymonkey

2015 203 VRX

11 posts in this topic

Just took delivery of my Vortex 203 VRX. I was wondering if any other vortex owners are on here and what you think of the boat? Also have you ran into any issues?

there are a few Vortex owners here. Myself, I have the 223VR. Knock on wood, no issues at all last season on the boat. Absolutely love it. Congratulations on yours. Jealous that you are out on the water already. I am up in the Chicago area and we are at least a month away. Had 60's on Sunday and now 4" of snow on my lawn. Check out https://jetboaters.net/ also. good topics there on our boats as well as the Scarabs and older Sea Doos which have the same engines as ours. Mostly Yamaha talk, but our numbers are growing.

Thanks for the good news. Yeah we had a 70 degree Saturday and we had to get her on the water. The wife and I even did a polar bear plunge at a buddy's dock. 45 degree water... Brrr!!! I've been on the jetboaters forum before when I was strongly thinking about a 195 scarab. I noticed a lot of trash talk from the Yamaha operators. I was hoping more of us would get on there. I had a 3 seat Sea-Doo a few years ago & a Yamaha ski before that. The Yamaha was faster, but the Sea-Doo was more reliable.

Looking forward to seeing what all we can do with this Chap. I've always liked their quality. Thanks for responding

We purchased a 203 VRX last year in Reno.  We have a problem with the fuel gauge reading 3/4 full, when in fact it is full.  It will read full until we put it in the water and start it up, then it immediately drops down.  They are trying to come up with a fix for the problem.

Another problem is the canopy top is almost impossible to lock down, as if they didn't cut the hole in the top large enough to fit over the nav light on the tower.  

One of the speakers in the boat was also not working, but it was fixed. 

The weather stripping from the windshield started to tear almost immediately as well.  These are all problems with only 7 hours on the boat, but it is all being covered under warranty.

One last thing, keep an eye on the graphics on the side of the boat.  My buddy has the same boat and we had the same problem where the graphics were put on flush, and started to peel.  It's where the graphics meet the bottom black part of your boat.  

Other than those issues, we love the boat, we also have the red one but with the red top.  

We just got ours this Friday 203 VRX and we also have the problem with the fuel gauge reading 3/4 full. Other than that, so far, we love the boat. Looking forward for the season.

24 hours on my 203 vortex, same issue with the fuel gauge. Out this past weekend, ran all day Saturday fishing. Went for sunset cruise and the motor threw a "check engine light". Taking it to dealer to be checked out will let you know. :)

We now have problems with the outside temp reading 198 degrees, a carpet snap is broken, stitching is coming apart on a back rest and part of the swim platform grip pad is peeling up.  If all of this is happening under warranty, I'm worried about what will happen in the coming years.

We just hit 17 hours on our 203vrx.  Then something strange happened.  It wouldn't go over 10mph and the rpms were screaming at almost 9.   Was able to clear some crap out of the intake grate and that helped.  But it does not have the same get up n go it did before this happened.  Any ideas?

yeah I have the same 3/4 tank readings too. Thought it was just not "burped" so I fueled it in town then drove back out to the lake and attempted to complete the fueling process. I was able to squeeze in 2 tenths of a gallon in. Has anyone had any resolution to this??

Now after that fueling issue we took it out for Father's Day and at the end of the day my engine developed a very loud grinding noise. Sounded like a bearing had failed. I shut it down and had a friend tow me back to the ramp. Dealer just told me my front seal failed on the jet pump. That allowed water into the forward bearing and it failed.

My dealer has been very good. I had my starboard aft backrest replaced due to upholstery failure. We love the boat and are anxiously waiting her return. 

Not sure on the Vortex but I assume you can calibrate the gauge and sensor, I have the options of doing it through my gauge and have done it on my past boats.  Hopefully it can be that easy. 

So far I love mine.  Took it out to the outer banks and taking waves head on is fine but coming at an angle the boat just kind of slides down them. Definitely a rivers and lake boat... Only other problem I've come across is the river by my house has some sort of tree or bush that drops what I can only describe as giant sunflower looking seeds that are hard as a rock and 3 out of 4 times I've been on the river this year one has got stuck on the starboard impeller and I've had to limp back to the dock, load the boat and then I can get under with a flashlight and a piece of wire and knock it off......  I was thinking of either getting a waterproof borescope mounted to a prebent piece steel bar and zip tie the borescope to it so I can do it while still in the water or remove the intake grate all together so you can just reach you hand in there and remove the problem..... Open to any and all ideas!