Hatem

Who Will Be The Next President?

1,294 posts in this topic

Love that button !! :)

Thanks for the pleasant distraction from the endless crap on radio & T V. I have almost stopped watching T V...... A election with a good side effect. L is G :)

Thanks sbkatl

I really wish we could figure out a way to institute term limits for every elected office from the dog catcher to the president. Give everybody a six year term. Four year terms with the ability to run again are a huge problem

Year One - Figure out what the #$^% the job is supposed to be, and get your team up to speed

Year Two - Start to try to get things done.

Year Three - start fundraising

Year four - Campaign for re-election (while the opposing party refuses to work with you while waiting to see if you get re-elected). Maybe push through some controversial items ( potential abuse of power through executive orders)

If we gave everybody a SINGLE 6 year term we might actually get some things done.

I think the one thing most people can agree on is TERM LIMITS. I also we believe we need to get the big money out of politics, get rid of citizens united. Let's give the country back to the actual people to vote and decided and hold our congressmen and woman responsible for bad voting records. rumor has it Romney has filed paperwork to run for president. brokered convention and he could get the republican nod. (however that works) I do agree with you wingnut "t's beyond time to pay the domestic producers a fair price for their labors, support alternative energy strategies, and become once again self sufficient. Let India and China fight over oil."

I think the one thing most people can agree on is TERM LIMITS. I also we believe we need to get the big money out of politics, get rid of citizens united. Let's give the country back to the actual people to vote and decided and hold our congressmen and woman responsible for bad voting records. rumor has it Romney has filed paperwork to run for president. brokered convention and he could get the republican nod. (however that works) I do agree with you wingnut "t's beyond time to pay the domestic producers a fair price for their labors, support alternative energy strategies, and become once again self sufficient. Let India and China fight over oil."

I think many go into politics with the best of intentions, but soon find out that if they are going to advance worthwhile initiatives, they need to back many agendas that they do not agree with. Term limits for sure, but that will go the same way as so many other common sense proposals. Congress decides our health care, but do not participate in the program. They vote on their own pay raises and they are all smart enough to know that their re-election is so dependent on being beholding to big money. $ year term and a full pension and first class medical for life? Ben Carson is a well intention-ed great guy, but he discovered early on that sharing a reasonable, achievable vision will not get you elected. He has local connections in this area and we have a few mutual friends, and I think he said it best. I'm a good guy but nobody will vote for me. That's because the good guys can't be bought. So seldom do the bureaucrats do something simply because it has merit and is the right thing to do. It's become all about power and influence in advance of personal initiatives. Sad times. W

I really wish we could figure out a way to institute term limits for every elected office from the dog catcher to the president. Give everybody a six year term. Four year terms with the ability to run again are a huge problem

Year One - Figure out what the #$^% the job is supposed to be, and get your team up to speed

Year Two - Start to try to get things done.

Year Three - start fundraising

Year four - Campaign for re-election (while the opposing party refuses to work with you while waiting to see if you get re-elected). Maybe push through some controversial items ( potential abuse of power through executive orders)

If we gave everybody a SINGLE 6 year term we might actually get some things done.

Spot on! I really think 4 years is just not enough time to do what a president of a country like this has to unless he gets the 2nd term, but he needs to spend part of that first term campaigning for that 2nd term it's crazy. The only problem is if we get stuck with a George W.for 12 years, then we're really up @#$%@#'s creek. That's the counter to that and those who really could run the country and bring it back to its greatness won't do it because of the obvious reason. And Cyclops, very true about Clinton being the one of very few who deserved a 3rd term along with Roosevelt and probably Ronald Reagan. Some will probably disagree with me but that's ok. :)

BTW, once Iran comes back into the picture if it ever does, it will compete heavily with Saudi Arabia and Venezuela and the prices might even drop a lot lower than they already have.

"those who really could run the country and bring it back to its greatness won't do it because of the obvious reason"

This is what needs fixed. The rest will fix itself once we have a qualified person in place.

Politics is all about gangs controlling this & every other country. Do not try to dignify it.

"those who really could run the country and bring it back to its greatness won't do it because of the obvious reason"

This is what needs fixed. The rest will fix itself once we have a qualified person in place.

I always thought that those who serve should do so being driven to a sense of duty. Room, board, and the honor of holding the office. Keep their families whole and I'd have to think that would be pretty easy when all your expenses, housing, transportation, food, medical are covered. You get the idea. The day you leave office you are almost guaranteed a lucrative gig, and if not you were likely a Mutt anyway. I sense that most here on the forum were not handed much in life. We support our families, and when retirement comes we rely on investments, and pensions from the years spent in service to our employer. I watch as the US postal service goes bankrupt as the private sector continues to claim a bigger piece of their pie. Now the government has privatized a large portion of their operations. Why? Because for years the unrealistic civil service benefit packages were un-sustainable and I see that as an example of stepping slightly over the invisible line in order to win favor, and the votes that go along with that. The auto industry suffered too and today 1,500 of the cost of your new vehicle pays union medical benefits. The difference is we just bought another brand and both management and labor once again found that invisible line and got back on the right side of it. Now take the control and approval process for raises, pensions, benefits, and all the other STAY IN BUSINESS stuff you and I depend upon and give complete control to the ultimate recipient. Welcome to the US Congress. Can you imagine if, as intended the US populous were able to decide what compensation Senators and Congressmen received based on performance? It's called an appraisal and I got one every year from the boss. We used to be the boss but now I think all too often we assume that our elected officials will do the right thing based on a sense of honor, and duty. Silly Citizens.... W

Spot on. I remember you mentioning that in one of your original posts and talking to an older guy who's been around a while yesterday said the same thing which prompted me to point it out again. But you did bring that up for sure.

What a shame that unless something out of the ordinary happens, it'll be between Trump and Hillary and who has the edge as of now?

i think Trump will have Ted Cruz standing behind him endorsing him after today. What a circus that campaign has turned into. It's a disgrace for this great country to see what is happening at these rallies. Wow.

Big day in the primaries and I'm fascinated that Berine Sanders is actually still hanging in there!

All T V stations showing political & constant bashing of opposing parties.

Are PEEEEIINNNGG away product sponsors advertising monies with me. I boycott the sponsors products. The satellite stations of Fox, Greenberg, CNBC and all the other " news stations " will never see me again.

I know when I am being brainwashed by any gang of politicians. Every hour of every day & night.

I do not pay monthly fees to be brainwashed and aggravated.

The great thing about our country is that 1 person cannot single handily change our economy. one would argue Obamacare but remember the Dems controlled the house & senate and a sitting dem pres. and still had to pass it in the middle of the night - remember the phrase from Pelosi, "we need to pass it to find out whats in it" well its a few years later and we are finding out "whats in it" - for businesses and workers alike. what we have now are businesses forced to limit hours to 29 hours / week to avoid massive health care costs that they cannot afford. this is leading to a wider gap in haves and have nots. just what the dems are preaching that they created.

on the price of gas - its a global economy, for those foolish enough to think that the US can restrict trade on this commodity is just plain wrong. look into the oil fields in the Dakotas - due to our gov't not allowing a safer manner of transport (ie. keystone pipeline) it is more expensive to transport crude to the gulf and our coasts for production. the only area that this helps are the few refineries in the midwest. transporting crude by truck, rail increases the risks of accident, wears out our interstates, etc. When OPEC decides that their flooding the markets w/ crude has done its deed by forcing oil companies to stop capital spending on North American refineries and others around the world then you will see the crude price go back up to $60-80 / barrel and we will see the pump prices back up in the "arm and leg" price range. as far as Canadian crude goes, we as in Canada & US should buy all of it - whether we do or not Canada won't stop extracting it and it will just go to China.

I am all for cleaner fuels but all the alternative energy means can only supply a fraction of the global consumption. i guess the dems solution is to make the rich pay for it - ( I cannot feel the Burn ) and still believe i will vote with my bank account. they all suck in their own ways but in the end i believe i pay more than my fair share and get very agitated when i hear the constant drone of talk about race and that my success is due to my "white privilege"

The great thing about our country is that 1 person cannot single handily change our economy. one would argue Obamacare but remember the Dems controlled the house & senate and a sitting dem pres. and still had to pass it in the middle of the night - remember the phrase from Pelosi, "we need to pass it to find out whats in it" well its a few years later and we are finding out "whats in it" - for businesses and workers alike. what we have now are businesses forced to limit hours to 29 hours / week to avoid massive health care costs that they cannot afford. this is leading to a wider gap in haves and have nots. just what the dems are preaching that they created.

on the price of gas - its a global economy, for those foolish enough to think that the US can restrict trade on this commodity is just plain wrong. look into the oil fields in the Dakotas - due to our gov't not allowing a safer manner of transport (ie. keystone pipeline) it is more expensive to transport crude to the gulf and our coasts for production. the only area that this helps are the few refineries in the midwest. transporting crude by truck, rail increases the risks of accident, wears out our interstates, etc. When OPEC decides that their flooding the markets w/ crude has done its deed by forcing oil companies to stop capital spending on North American refineries and others around the world then you will see the crude price go back up to $60-80 / barrel and we will see the pump prices back up in the "arm and leg" price range. as far as Canadian crude goes, we as in Canada & US should buy all of it - whether we do or not Canada won't stop extracting it and it will just go to China.

I am all for cleaner fuels but all the alternative energy means can only supply a fraction of the global consumption. i guess the dems solution is to make the rich pay for it - ( I cannot feel the Burn ) and still believe i will vote with my bank account. they all suck in their own ways but in the end i believe i pay more than my fair share and get very agitated when i hear the constant drone of talk about race and that my success is due to my "white privilege"

What does the Keystone Pipeline have to do with North Dakota crude? The engineering firm I consult for just finished a crude loading facility in Alberta, and has done several in ND. They have also built unloading facilities and I completed one in North Jersey year before last. The customer purchased 13 complete 120 car 33,000 gal trains (3,960,000 gal per train total) just so they could depend on one unit train delivery every 24 hours. That amount represented 1/2 of their refinery daily input. You are right that pipelines are safer. The majors talk pipeline publicly, but the reality is they like the rail option as they can switch suppliers without abandoning infrastructure. Oh, ND just raised the price? Give Oklahoma a call. As far as Keystone goes, it was never intended to handle domestic crude. Canadian tar sands oil goes by rail to their west coast and then ends up in China for the most part. Keystone was proposed to transport this low grade nasty stuff to the gulf coast where it could be partially refined into hydrate to increase it's value and decrease it's volume per BTU value. It also was a clever way to get around the 1973 mandate that prohibited the export of crude from the US. The Balkan is a huge formation and the domestic stuff is lite, and high quality. It presently ships by rail, and by a few local pipelines. Remote well heads are serviced by truck. The Balkan material from Alberta is terrible quality heavy stuff and I stand against Keystone as, although it creates a few jobs in the US, it also leaves Texas with some nasty pollution challenges, while we as a nation do not benefit from the oil produced. W

I always thought that those who serve should do so being driven to a sense of duty. Room, board, and the honor of holding the office. Keep their families whole and I'd have to think that would be pretty easy when all your expenses, housing, transportation, food, medical are covered. You get the idea. The day you leave office you are almost guaranteed a lucrative gig, and if not you were likely a Mutt anyway. I sense that most here on the forum were not handed much in life. We support our families, and when retirement comes we rely on investments, and pensions from the years spent in service to our employer. I watch as the US postal service goes bankrupt as the private sector continues to claim a bigger piece of their pie. Now the government has privatized a large portion of their operations. Why? Because for years the unrealistic civil service benefit packages were un-sustainable and I see that as an example of stepping slightly over the invisible line in order to win favor, and the votes that go along with that. The auto industry suffered too and today 1,500 of the cost of your new vehicle pays union medical benefits. The difference is we just bought another brand and both management and labor once again found that invisible line and got back on the right side of it. Now take the control and approval process for raises, pensions, benefits, and all the other STAY IN BUSINESS stuff you and I depend upon and give complete control to the ultimate recipient. Welcome to the US Congress. Can you imagine if, as intended the US populous were able to decide what compensation Senators and Congressmen received based on performance? It's called an appraisal and I got one every year from the boss. We used to be the boss but now I think all too often we assume that our elected officials will do the right thing based on a sense of honor, and duty. Silly Citizens.... W.

I remember as a very young boy watching a live telecast on TV the day a rebel leader Fidel Castro liberated his people.

There was a poster that I once read, that said.

We do not inherit the earth from or ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

At the bottom it said, Native American saying.

We are building a very angry world, what is going to be left for our children's, children, children?

Man look what we have become since 1950.

Where have all of our values gone? My :Twocents: Denny.

As the trains continue to roll off the tracks & rupture the tank cars. Only really bad side to shipping crude or any toxic chemicals.by rail or truck.

The oil related companies want the FAA to BAN any EPA flights over the spills.

Next ISIS will want the same rights at a slaughter place in the USA.

Great thing about business people ruining / running a country. Most money wins.

I remember as a very young boy watching a live telecast on TV the day a rebel leader Fidel Castro liberated his people.

There was a poster that I once read, that said.

We do not inherit the earth from or ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

At the bottom it said, Native American saying.

We are building a very angry world, what is going to be left for our children's, children, children?

Man look what we have become since 1950.

Where have all of our values gone? My :Twocents: Denny.

Amen Denny

I suppose my general rant is based on jobs and the impacts of our federal gov't as obstructionists. I am using the Keystone as an example of such. I have seen in the past year the industrial market crumble and small businesses that rely heavily on capital investment continue to disappear. I work for a large mech contractor servicing this sector and although pipeline work we avoid, the trends are not good. People not in this industry probably don't care they just want cheaper gas and i get that, i like that too, what most people don't realize is high corp taxes on these large companies drives them away. is it any wonder why companies moved their headquarters to TX. Low taxes, cheap labor. Liberal based areas - the Northeast, Chicago, California are not business friendly and are being reduced to white collar jobs. Manufacturing jobs, construction labor jobs that are solid jobs are going away. Some argue that its the completely the business' fault - corporate greed!! and that is true to some point. however, gov't should be making the path clear to want to work in the US or each state and not proposing ways to punish business' for leaving or threatening them.

Maybe i am more libertarian than anything. i am mostly frustrated as I come from a very Union based area and family and have been fed that propaganda most of my life and now employ union workers but see it from the side of the employer and am trying to keep a balance of fair wages / benefits and stay in business. i just see work going away (like a boiling frog) we are slowing dying and don't even know it.

Anyways, not trying to grand stand and will fully admit not being an expert on the merits of keystone just see it as yet another capital project and job loss

that is why i boat, to get away from this type of stress!! I do try to keep an open mind and appreciate the knowledge gained from others - even at my own expense :beer-7687-1:

All T V stations showing political & constant bashing of opposing parties.

Are PEEEEIINNNGG away product sponsors advertising monies with me. I boycott the sponsors products. The satellite stations of Fox, Greenberg, CNBC and all the other " news stations " will never see me again.

I know when I am being brainwashed by any gang of politicians. Every hour of every day & night.

I do not pay monthly fees to be brainwashed and aggravated.

+1

I suppose my general rant is based on jobs and the impacts of our federal gov't as obstructionists. I am using the Keystone as an example of such. I have seen in the past year the industrial market crumble and small businesses that rely heavily on capital investment continue to disappear. I work for a large mech contractor servicing this sector and although pipeline work we avoid, the trends are not good. People not in this industry probably don't care they just want cheaper gas and i get that, i like that too, what most people don't realize is high corp taxes on these large companies drives them away. is it any wonder why companies moved their headquarters to TX. Low taxes, cheap labor. Liberal based areas - the Northeast, Chicago, California are not business friendly and are being reduced to white collar jobs. Manufacturing jobs, construction labor jobs that are solid jobs are going away. Some argue that its the completely the business' fault - corporate greed!! and that is true to some point. however, gov't should be making the path clear to want to work in the US or each state and not proposing ways to punish business' for leaving or threatening them.

Maybe i am more libertarian than anything. i am mostly frustrated as I come from a very Union based area and family and have been fed that propaganda most of my life and now employ union workers but see it from the side of the employer and am trying to keep a balance of fair wages / benefits and stay in business. i just see work going away (like a boiling frog) we are slowing dying and don't even know it.

Anyways, not trying to grand stand and will fully admit not being an expert on the merits of keystone just see it as yet another capital project and job loss

that is why i boat, to get away from this type of stress!! I do try to keep an open mind and appreciate the knowledge gained from others - even at my own expense :beer-7687-1:

I think most of what you said has a lot of merit, only I do believe the Canadian stuff isn't as good as some people think simply because it's tar sand crude and it takes a lot to clean it up from what I've read (anyone feel free to correct me on that) and probably a big reason why it ends up in China, the cheapest place to deal with it but that brings up another HUGE campaign issue and that is how to deal with China and how they've reduced the value of the Yen while their economy has blown up in a ridiculous fashion and the rumors of its demise? Trump mentioned going after China way back (I don't know if he said he'd bring back a lot of the jobs that are going there but how do you beat the difference in the cost of labor which = profit margins) but we're going to need a lot more of the nitty gritty stuff as to how, with how globalized the entire world economy is.

But you're right about the one example that you brought up regarding Obamacare and that only explains how divided the parties have become. I've never seen such partisanship and division since ever. I think in many ways the Republican party has self destroyed itself from within in the last few races. Mitt Romney was not enough to put a band-aid over what McCain did with Sarah Palin and what the Bushes have put this country through. Just my 2 cents, especially the last one!

Tell the people / customers of both parties what they know & want to hear.

Then quietly keep sticking it to them. More each 4 years.

Different words. Same old, same old.

Tomatoes are now $ 2.50 per pound ? Some chain food stores, have HUGE yachts crewed around the world. Just waiting for guests to take out.

Have any of the Candidates put together a viable solution to any of our problems? I think all of them are restricted by the "principles of their party" meaning if you as a candidate are for common sense gun laws but pro life they will attack you on your gun law stance. (even though the two seem to be connected on some level) If you are pro life, pro gun but want to keep religion out of politics you will be attacked for being non christian (regardless of what the constitution says about religion)

What happen to the middle when you could be liberal about something and conservative about other things. Why do we all need to fit into one gang or another gang. I have a feeling that by today's standards Ronald Reagan would be considered a liberal. He was for common sense gun laws and believed in amnesty for immigrants. He would never be elected by todays republican standards.

When the majority sits back & lets the hard fighting minorities of all types run for political offices ?