Tlandry

Northeast Rendezvous?

Hi guys, I sign the dotted line this Wednesday on my new to me 2003 280 signature. With this warm weather, I can't help but be excited. I'm in narragansett bay, but am curious if people do a rendezvous anywhere in the area? Block island, Connecticut, Newport? I haven't dropped a dime on fuel yet and I'm ready to throttle down. I know I'm in Sea Ray country, but I can't wait to show the Chaparral pride.

T

Welcome, I have a 2006 280 sig. We slip it in Mystic and head to Block all the time. Usually get a mooring or on the hook, slip if it's preseason. Quicker ride for you! Head over!

Narragansett Bay, ey?  That's kinda in the neighborhood if you consider Salem anywhere near? :)  That's actually much closer than the Upper Chesapeake Bay Rally we were planning on attending but that's close to 500 miles.  The Cape Code Canal was on our "wish list this year so it could be a possibility for us.  Nice to see another salt water boater around this mostly lakers community.  We won't be slipped until the beginning of May, though, and a lot of preliminary work on the boat before then.  

If you plan a get-together sooner, let me know if you have another later in the season.  We're gonna make it a point to hit the Cape often this summer.

I would love to go to Block Island. That would be about (I have never done it) 4 to 5hrs from Boston I think. It takes me about 1hr & 30 to 45 mins to the canal. Than at least 45min to go though it IF I time it right with the tides. Than 2 hrs from there and thats if we don't hits rough seas.

Onset is a get layover place just after the canal. So sometimes we stop off there and stay the night.  

My boat is coming from Wareham and I thought long and hard about making the trek through the canal, through Buzzards, up the Sakonett and to Greenwich bay. I figured for 300 bucks over land, it made more sense. Not to mention, although the boat is very clean, its untested for me, so that's a long haul for a first time out. 

As far as a get together on the Block, I'm in! New harbor is the best holding anchorage I know. I have yet to drag in there, even with a small lunch hook. I sleep well knowing I'm stuck.  It doesn't have to be too early in the season Hatem.  I'd like to have a few weekends to get accustomed to her anyway.

Iggy, I think your time frames are pretty accurate as those were some numbers I used to get the boat back to narragansett bay.  If you guys come up with another location, let's hear it. 

If I am not mistaken. Onset would be a good meeting spot. Hatem is more north of Boston than I. About 30 to 40mins north of me.

Maybe I'll take the ferry over and meet you Hatem!! I don't think I can take one of the stock boats!! hahaha!

Tlandry if you need anything for the new Chap please give me a call!! I'll help you out in any way I can!!

On 3/26/2016 at 6:51 AM, B_Mutter said:

Maybe I'll take the ferry over and meet you Hatem!! I don't think I can take one of the stock boats!! hahaha!

Tlandry if you need anything for the new Chap please give me a call!! I'll help you out in any way I can!!

Bro, I'll come down and pick you up! :)  Screw the ferry!  Oh wait a minute, you're in Connecticut never mind LOL! :D Seriously, mine is a 276ssx as most of you guys know and we wouldn't mind sleeping overnight on it but I do prefer the luxury of a nice, nearby hotel but either way, it don't matter to me.  Got a TV, got a fridge couple sleeping bags we're all set.  

Iggy is right but he's only about 15 miles south of me, if that and I'm in Boston Harbor a lot and drive right by the other side of his marina.  So we can meet him and ride down all the way but I but now that I have this new dually, I'll trailer to wherever you guys want and pick Brian up on the half-way (if he wants) and we can trailer down to the Cape and find a place to store the rig while we cut through the canal.  Or, you come up this way and we follow Iggy all the way down but it's in a bowrider but it does VERY WELL even in chop.  But I'd rather trailer it a little closer than put all that work on the boat motor.  So let me know so I can get my ducks in order for sure. 

BTW, I don't mind bowriding amongst all you Sigs, and fish off my bow seats!  

But I'm still thinking of June 2nd or 22nd for the Upper Chesapeake rally we might be going to so I hope both dates don't end up coinciding.

BTW, you got a 337ssx in the showroom? 

If you guys are looking to trailer and use hotels, Narragansett Bay is your place. I have a mooring someone could use for free, or I could see if my marina would run a deal to host it. (Brewers Cowesett).  All the ramps around here are free. Newport RI is a 30 ride, potters cove, is close, Wickford harbor, jamestown, portsmouth, providence, bristol, fall river, all close.  As much as Block Island is great, it can be rough getting there for the smaller boats, but even on the worst of days, a bow rider can handle the bay.  

I enjoy trailing my boat to many locations, the hotels and stuff like that is not that important like I mentioned but marina slip might be part of the membership we currently have with ours and I don't mind mooring the 276 as long as it's safe.  Dates is what we need to know way ahead of time and I wouldn't even mind making a trip the in the other direction to Hyannisport.  We did Monomoy and Chatham at stage harbor last year and man that was a BLAST!

Hotel! What do you need a hotel for? There nothing like sleeping on your boat. The gentle rocking, the salt air. Having a cup of coffee in the cockpit........... Haaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm in RI....not CT... but we are a small state so I forgive you!! haha! We do not have a 337 in the showroom yet. We should have one in time for the Newport Show in September

On 4/1/2016 at 7:34 AM, B_Mutter said:

I'm in RI....not CT... but we are a small state so I forgive you!! haha! We do not have a 337 in the showroom yet. We should have one in time for the Newport Show in September

I meant RI. :)  

In that case it wouldn't be a problem whatsoever to come down and pick you and the kids up (is there more than just one?) if they're old enough and you feel it would be safe to bring them.  I should have the EPIRB set up by then.  The wicked cute one in your avatar looks like he/she was just borne the day before the pic was taken lol!  

We can figure it out when the time comes.  I think my gall bladder surgery will be sometime this  month but it won't keep me down for long, guaranteed! 

On 3/31/2016 at 7:34 AM, Iggy said:

Hotel! What do you need a hotel for? There nothing like sleeping on your boat. The gentle rocking, the salt air. Having a cup of coffee in the cockpit........... Haaaaaaaaaaaa

That's fine, we'll be coming onto the 290 for overnights then.  Got enough room for the two of us and Brian and his kids? Hahaaaaaaaaa woohoooo!

I told you I don't mind sleeping even in our bowrider it's as big as your boat buddy just no cabin.  We don't need one, just yet anyway.

I think Mutty's kid(s) are too young for this sort of expedition anyway, booze or no booze.  

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, Tlandry said:

Hi guys, I sign the dotted line this Wednesday on my new to me 2003 280 signature. With this warm weather, I can't help but be excited. I'm in narragansett bay, but am curious if people do a rendezvous anywhere in the area? Block island, Connecticut, Newport? I haven't dropped a dime on fuel yet and I'm ready to throttle down. I know I'm in Sea Ray country, but I can't wait to show the Chaparral pride.

T

Hey T-

We're on the CT river and head to Block a few times a year. Usually mid week and stay on the hook by dinghy beach.

P1090786.JPG

Have you thought about catching the National Guard air show by water? Last year the Blue Angels were there, this year the Thunderbirds will be there. It's June 11 and 12. We're planning on going this year.

Terry

Hi Terry,

We typically watch the airshow anchored off Quonset point, but I'm down for watching at Block. I'll look at the calendar and see where we're at. Beautiful boat by the way. How do you like the grill set up you have? The boss and I have been looking for what works best.

8 minutes ago, Tlandry said:

Hi Terry,

We typically watch the airshow anchored off Quonset point, but I'm down for watching at Block. I'll look at the calendar and see where we're at. Beautiful boat by the way. How do you like the grill set up you have? The boss and I have been looking for what works best.

No, no, you got it right to watch the show at Quonset!! Don't think the fly near block much....

Grill setup works great. It's one of those fish tables mount atop of the stock grill setup. We prefer the Weber for cooking over the stainless steel boat grills and they are a fraction of the cost. Our boat came with the SS grill and it's never been used!

On 4/3/2016 at 5:45 PM, CTSunsetter said:

Hey T-

We're on the CT river and head to Block a few times a year. Usually mid week and stay on the hook by dinghy beach.

P1090786.JPG

Have you thought about catching the National Guard air show by water? Last year the Blue Angels were there, this year the Thunderbirds will be there. It's June 11 and 12. We're planning on going this year.

Terry

Gorgeous boat, BTW.  We're gonna be on the tarmac watching it from Quonset.  You should check out the airplane thread I posted a crap load of pics from last year and the year before.  Some great shots of the F-22 cruising right by us after it's demo.  Is this the same date we're trying to organize this thing?  I hope not, although maybe Steve and Stephenson might not mind watching it from the water.  That would take a lot of organizing.  We'll have to see if this is a set date or separate from our rendezvous.

Hi Guys,

I would like to make a trip to Block Island this year but have never done it before.  Can you provide more details as to where to hook up and maybe stay for a couple of days?

Try to stay at the Boat Basin in New Harbor. They are the nicest in my opinion. Second would be Champlains followed by Paynes.  Paynes docks are are tricky and the amenities are rough if you need them.  All are equal when it comes to location.  Book right away. They all fill up.

Have fun

T