dirkpit222

2 questions re: 2008 signature 290

Hi all, I hope I'm posting these questions in the proper section. 

Proud owner of 08 Signature 290. I usually have water pooled the storage compartment (located above swim platform). Does anybody else have this problem? Is this common? Does it leak in from rain? 

Also, the stereo remote mounted on the rear of my boat has stopped working. Does anybody know where I can find a replacement?  I checked online with Clarion but they don't seem to have the exact one. Theirs are all round..mine is square. 

Thanks in advance, 

Chris

Different boat, same year model.  I never have water in the aft storage compartment (except for the wet lines, anchor, etc that we sometimes stow in there.  Regarding the remote, we have the same system.  The head unit is the Clarion CMD4 and has the square remotes.  I cannot find them ANYWHERE online.  Just today, however I was looking at the newer CMD8 with round remotes.  Looks like you can get two remotes and the head unit for around 500 deer.  That might be an option?  Sorry I'm not much help.

Oooooh!  That remote is compatible with the CMD4!  Thanks for that!  That may be my answer to replacing the remote at the helm when I reconfigure the dash!

Do you have the flip up seat thats behind that compartment? On my 2011, if that seat is down water can leak in.

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

Do you have the flip up seat thats behind that compartment? On my 2011, if that seat is down water can leak in.

Sorry....just realized you weren't asking me.  post deleted.

I have the same boat.  It's in a covered slip, so I don't get rain on that end of the boat.  There is a drain in mine on the starboard side underneath the electrical connections (the shore power, cable, and jump terminals.  When I clean the boat I try to clean that drain also.  There is always a little bit of water that doesn't make it to the drain and pools up a bit, so I have to soak it up and wipe down with a towel.  Not exactly sure where the drain leads -- whether to the channels and drains on the engine compartment or connected to one of those lines in the engine compartment itself.

As for the stereo control, can't help.  (knock on wood that mine doesn't go belly up also).

I replaced my system with a Fusion head and remotes. I had no problems at the stern.

dirkpitt

I have the same issue with water sitting in the aft storage compartment.  It does leak in from rain.  There are 2 drains that go overboard at the point right above the stern light above the swim platform.  The drains are not at the lowest point in that locker so it pools up.  I have thought about drilling another hole at the lowest point and tying in a third drain line to the current drain but I have not done it yet.  As tanker said I have to get in there occasionally and sponge out the water.  I only store 2 fenders and my shore power cord in there so not a huge problem.

By the way I like your reference to Clive Cusslers books!

Lew 

Yeah ... I suspect water trickles down and gets in the hatch lid.   Water enters the cutout for the wire hole.  I think this is fizable with addl weatherstripping of the cutout part.

The water goes in where the electrical cord goes in. Clean the hole and put a small bead of clear silicone caulking on the inside lip in order to form a small dam. it will stop most of the water from going in. 

4 hours ago, Chaparral260 said:

The water goes in where the electrical cord goes in. Clean the hole and put a small bead of clear silicone caulking on the inside lip in order to form a small dam. it will stop most of the water from going in. 

That's a great tip. 

I've tried to fix this with more rubber weather stripping foam, but the foam rips off due to the cord moving back and forth.  I also tried to buy U-channel edge weather stripping (like for car door edges), but it's hard to install because the edge is so bendy. 

The clear silicone should stay put.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, gr8lakes said:

That's a great tip. 

I've tried to fix this with more rubber stripping foam, but the foam rips off due to the cord moving back and forth.  I also tried to buy U-channel edge weather stripping (like for car door edges), but it's hard to install because the edge is so bendy. 

The clear silicone should stay put.  Thanks.

Yup, thanks for the tip, another thing I will plan to do ;)

1 hour ago, Exoset said:

Yup, thanks for the tip, another thing I will plan to do ;)

I also added to a small piece of pex tubing into the storage drain to stop the water from draining into the engine compartment. Those 2 drain, drain directly in there very bad design. I know not the best solution but it works, with the silicone and that my engine bay is almost totally dry.