Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
botrdav

ECO BOOST WILL IT PULL

Recommended Posts

We just ordered a new ford F 150 with the 3.5 eco boost. We have the 246 SSI. The truck will have all the trailering goodies. My main question is has anyone with this truck and motor combo had any trailering issues. I have seen the truck with this motor pulling some 28 footers but have never had the opportunity to ask how it pulls. They tout this motor as the 8th wonder of the world, It is difficult to rationalize this as I have always towed with v-8s any likes or dislikes on this combo will be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These trucks do seem to be capable of doing the job. The one thing you do have to remember is that while the power is there you still have a 6 cyl motor with the turbos constantly building boost. Another thing is that you have a half ton truck with half ton truck brakes. I'll stick with my rig for pulling my 230 ssi which is pretty much the same boat as yours. I also pull a 33' Chaparral 5th wheel with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got the 5.0 but tested the 3.5 Ecoboost.  One thing I like about the Eco is that all the torque (I think its 425 ft lbs) is available at very low RPM's  AND  altitude does not affect the ecoboost like naturally aspirated engines.  I wouldn't be too concerned about the turbo's - they've been around for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not worried so much about the turbos but the constant heat produced by them. I know the have had thousands of hours of testing. Biggest thing is to let them cool down by idling a bit after towing to keep the oil from coking up in the bearings/ bushings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have the eco boost but I read a lot about them. I think you will be just fine. The only drawback that I have heard regarding towing is the significant drop in gas mileage while doing so. It likes to drink when under load. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

Don't have the eco boost but I read a lot about them. I think you will be just fine. The only drawback that I have heard regarding towing is the significant drop in gas mileage while doing so. It likes to drink when under load. 

Don't we all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3.5 Eco Boost will handle it just fine.  You will have plenty of power.  I have that engine right now and very satisfied with it.  I have the locking 3:73 axle 4x4.  Fuel mileage will vary based on load.  More you tow weight wise the less mpg you get.  You will be surprised on the power for a 6 cylinder......the magic is in the turbos.  Keep the oil clean and you will be fine.  Dash display also can show trans temp so you can keep track if your overworking the transmission as well.  It's the best gas set up that I've ever driven.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brian S said:

3.5 Eco Boost will handle it just fine.  You will have plenty of power.  I have that engine right now and very satisfied with it.  I have the locking 3:73 axle 4x4.  Fuel mileage will vary based on load.  More you tow weight wise the less mpg you get.  You will be surprised on the power for a 6 cylinder......the magic is in the turbos.  Keep the oil clean and you will be fine.  Dash display also can show trans temp so you can keep track if your overworking the transmission as well.  It's the best gas set up that I've ever driven.

 

I have to agree with this as well, I have a 2013 F150 with the Eco-Boost and it pulls my my 255SSI just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of a previous post.  Its not just the engine.  I have a 2005 Chaparral 210ssi that I pull with a 06 Chev Silverado 5.3L with tow package. My truck is rated at 6900lbs, and I am sure my boat weighs in the 4500 range.  But every time I head to river I wish I had a 3/4 ton with a diesel.  I really know the boat is back there. I cant run in OD even in trailer mode.  If you can you need to get out of that deal and go a 3/4 ton preferably a diesel, but a 6.0L gas burner at least.  The 3/4 ton will give you much more control and stability than the 1/2 ton. Brakes and other components are beefier and better suited.  A 19ft and under would be fine for a 1/2 ton. But your boat really needs a better tow vehicle. Twin turbos and all that are fine, but your using that to make up the shortage of HP of a 6cyl.  A diesel will last much longer and wont even be strained.  Plus diesels routinely go over 300K no problem.  Show me a eco boost with that kind of tow mileage. Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, onesaintsfan said:

Reminds me of a previous post.  Its not just the engine.  I have a 2005 Chaparral 210ssi that I pull with a 06 Chev Silverado 5.3L with tow package. My truck is rated at 6900lbs, and I am sure my boat weighs in the 4500 range.  But every time I head to river I wish I had a 3/4 ton with a diesel.  I really know the boat is back there. I cant run in OD even in trailer mode.  If you can you need to get out of that deal and go a 3/4 ton preferably a diesel, but a 6.0L gas burner at least.  The 3/4 ton will give you much more control and stability than the 1/2 ton. Brakes and other components are beefier and better suited.  A 19ft and under would be fine for a 1/2 ton. But your boat really needs a better tow vehicle. Twin turbos and all that are fine, but your using that to make up the shortage of HP of a 6cyl.  A diesel will last much longer and wont even be strained.  Plus diesels routinely go over 300K no problem.  Show me a eco boost with that kind of tow mileage. Good luck

I would bet lunch that your rig weighs more than 4500 lbs. The trailer by itself is probably 1300 lbs. My 220SSi weighs right st 6000 lbs (CAT scale) fully loaded. When it was new, before the tower, stereo, 2nd battery and junk were added it weighed 5640 lbs.

I tow with an Expedition, rated to tow 9200 lbs. I would not want to tow much more than my 6000 lbs boat with it.

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tow trailers weekly, every trailer I pull weighs less than 5000 pounds.  Specs say a half ton is all I need.  I use a 3/4 ton diesel.  I feel the same way onesaintsfan does.   If you're towing often a 3/4 ton is the way to go, it's a much less stressful experience.   If you tow only a handful of times per year, a half ton will get the job done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had 2 diffrent trucks with an Eco. Love it and it pulls all my stuff just fine. I did upgrade the stock brake pads however which made stopping a bit more solid feel without all the fade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always prefer to have more truck than I need. It saves the abuse on the brakes and tranny.

My F250 has the Tow Haul package in the tranny and it works real nice on steep down hills ( there are 3 at 7% on my tow route) to keep the truck in the lower gears and the speed down. I never have to touch the brakes once i set the speed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first experience towing our 226 SSi about 4900lbs unloaded a few weeks back with my 3.5 Eco Boost on a long trip to pick it up. I wasn’t worried about the power, it did fine pulling and I used the towing option at times to keep the shifting down on all the smaller hills but it really hit the MPG. Temperature didn’t change on the transmission at all from normal driving but it showed a drop of about 200 mi in my range per tank full on each fill-up during my return trip with the boat in tow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that have not tested the ecoboost before - you should try it - the low rpm torque is amazing.  Turbos have been around for years.  All the mfg's are heading this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2016 at 6:23 PM, botrdav said:

We just ordered a new ford F 150 with the 3.5 eco boost. We have the 246 SSI. The truck will have all the trailering goodies. My main question is has anyone with this truck and motor combo had any trailering issues. I have seen the truck with this motor pulling some 28 footers but have never had the opportunity to ask how it pulls. They tout this motor as the 8th wonder of the world, It is difficult to rationalize this as I have always towed with v-8s any likes or dislikes on this combo will be appreciated.

I have this truck and boat combo and it pulls like a dream. I have routinely snatched my boat right up ramps that Titan and Ram half-tons struggle on. I came up a half-gravel/half-asphalt ramp next to a 3/4 ton Duramax a couple of years ago and the guy stopped me at the top of the ramp and asked me about my truck. You will have no issues with this combo.

If you have factory surge brakes just be careful on wet surfaces as that 246 is a good bit of weight and you are totally relying on your truck brakes. I am upgrading my trailer brakes this year to Electric-over-Hydraulic so I can take the strain off my truck brakes. 36,000 miles on the F-150 and my brakes are a little more worn than I would like but expected for the towing I do. We trailer 15 miles round trip on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday between Memorial Day and Labor Day and do several 200+ mile round trips during that time as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2016 at 1:54 AM, onesaintsfan said:

Reminds me of a previous post.  Its not just the engine.  I have a 2005 Chaparral 210ssi that I pull with a 06 Chev Silverado 5.3L with tow package. My truck is rated at 6900lbs, and I am sure my boat weighs in the 4500 range.  But every time I head to river I wish I had a 3/4 ton with a diesel.  I really know the boat is back there. I cant run in OD even in trailer mode.  If you can you need to get out of that deal and go a 3/4 ton preferably a diesel, but a 6.0L gas burner at least.  The 3/4 ton will give you much more control and stability than the 1/2 ton. Brakes and other components are beefier and better suited.  A 19ft and under would be fine for a 1/2 ton. But your boat really needs a better tow vehicle. Twin turbos and all that are fine, but your using that to make up the shortage of HP of a 6cyl.  A diesel will last much longer and wont even be strained.  Plus diesels routinely go over 300K no problem.  Show me a eco boost with that kind of tow mileage. Good luck

 

Here you go.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, we will be picking it up tomorrow and looking forward to pulling our Chaparral to the lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually we have the 246SSI. We love the truck, we went to order a XLT and wound up with a loaded up Lariat but no complaints this thing has everything. I pulled our boat out of heated storage and at 30 degrees I think the boat was a bit mad at me. I honestly can't believe that a V6 can pull that boat without breaking a sweat it is rated at 12,200 and we are at about half that. Up hill from a stop no problem it is like there was no boat behind me. And the pro trailer backup assist is the eighth wonder of the world. After going through the 10 minute measurements and calibrations you put it in reverse and turn a small dial and the system puts the trailer right where you want it. I am in awe with this truck can do. Again I am just shocked with what a 3.5 V6 eco boost is capable of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, botrdav said:

Actually we have the 246SSI. We love the truck, we went to order a XLT and wound up with a loaded up Lariat but no complaints this thing has everything. I pulled our boat out of heated storage and at 30 degrees I think the boat was a bit mad at me. I honestly can't believe that a V6 can pull that boat without breaking a sweat it is rated at 12,200 and we are at about half that. Up hill from a stop no problem it is like there was no boat behind me. And the pro trailer backup assist is the eighth wonder of the world. After going through the 10 minute measurements and calibrations you put it in reverse and turn a small dial and the system puts the trailer right where you want it. I am in awe with this truck can do. Again I am just shocked with what a 3.5 V6 eco boost is capable of.

Sorry for misquoting the boat... I have a 2015 Lariat Eco, they are great trucks.  I pull a MastCraft X2 with it(4300 dry), it does really well. To say "you don't know they boat is back there" is a bit over stated, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read and heard many good things about the Eco boost engine. I would like to see Ford or any other manufacturer apply the twin turbo principal to a V8 block on a 2500 frame. That would have a significant impact on the non commercial diesel market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

I have read and heard many good things about the Eco boost engine. I would like to see Ford or any other manufacturer apply the twin turbo principal to a V8 block on a 2500 frame. That would have a significant impact on the non commercial diesel market.

Cool idea I must admit.  Only thing is your probably talking a small V8 5.0 type ford or maybe even smaller, as really you don't want the engine producing(practical terms) probably more than 400-450hp.  Second thought is cost comparison of this vs a diesel, think if you did this you would have a similar price point to a diesel.

 

Cool concept. Ill admit.  I had a 2011 F150 with max tow and hauled a 29 ft Fountain with it, it worked great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...