Liquid asset

Thru hull exhaust

Hay guys I have an 88 235 xlc and I'm trying to figureout how to do a thru hull exhaust my self. Also is there a need to plug the exhaust bellows or do the have a one way value of shorts?

...many have asked; I still don't know of anyone here who has actually done it.  Excepting the bloke in Britain who did it while he was replacing the engine.

Besides being loud, obnoxious and prone to being ticketed for excessive noise , why would you want it

You would need to cap them or remove the Y pipe and cap the Y pipe connection at the transom.

Edited by Bt Doctur

wanted it for years..havent done it yet,but some day,dont worry about others,,they didnt buy your boat,and how long are you really in the area of others for long..enjoy your boat as you wish..that being said i would worry about noise ordinances in your area..maybe a muffler in the line might be called for..keep us posted..cap off y pipe

You WILL be chased down & ticketed in my waters by me reporting you if excessively loud.  USCG knows my complaint is money in the bank for someone to quiet the deliberate show off loud noise. Off shore race boats wear ear noise protection. I call USCG. BINGO !!  :) & marine &   state police. Bingo again.   1 guy had the money to pay. Untill EACH agency started to each write a ticket. He got the message when they told him next time was holding the boat as evidence.

You can pee on the police only so many times. Then the judges pee on you.

Well "the bloke in Britain" would suggest you phone up Corsa and tell them what you are looking for. They are able to make a system to fit your boat.

As for doing it yourself it is not that hard, just the bit cutting holes in the side of your boat, measure once, twice, again and once more just to make super sure you have the right place.

Having good access to the exhaust elbows that you have also helps, if you can reach those then you have no problem. the only thing I would (and did) change in the kit was the worm drive clips. I changed them for Mikalor Supra W4 121 clips, google them and you will see why.

The wiring was already there in my boat, so it was just plug 'n 'play.

Here in the UK we do not have any restrictions on after market exhaust, nobody is going to give you a ticket. Having said that I hardly use them. At the time I was awash with money and could afford it, and although I hardly use them I'm glad I've got them. It nice to make a little noise on days when there is a big powerboat race on.

Corsa_zps54668468.jpgDSCF0377_zps081e4937.jpgDSCF0403_zpsb32b170b.jpg

Around here there are tons of speed boats and pleasure boats with it. Never seen anyone get a ticket. So i dont know about being reported. Imo boating is a pleasure sport. If you like it do it imo you have just as much right to enjoy your self how you want.  Boating is play time. People arent sleeping because they work the night shift like at home. Just do it safely. Fact is most motorcycles anymore are just as loud on the road and nobody crys to the cops. Go fig.

I am trying to add pics for you guys but they are to large... 

Thank you to everyone for the tips. as i work on this i will be letting you know how its going. As for those who complain about noise im not worried about all that most my boating will be done on a river. and there of plenty of load boats out and hay if i have to pay a lil more for what i want than i am ok with that. 

This is my second project boat and i want to leave it almost like it was from the day it was made with some minor adjustments you can go to.https://www.facebook.com/ramon.hall.7/media_set?set=a.819024631468546.1073741831.100000830498352&type=3 and see the first project boat and i traded a flat screen tv for that and that boat for what i am now working on. will get pics as soon as i can 

My old boat had them (Corsa thru hull exhaust, under the swim platform).  Hooked up to 454 doing 60 down the lake, sounded AWESOME.   it was hard to talk to people even at idle speed, i didnt have the quick and quiet (captains call) option.   The lake police have bothered me twice in 15 years.   I had a 92 decibel reading at idle.   they let me go with a warning, 90 decibels is the max allowed.   new boat doesnt have it, i i got over it.

the Corsa system on our boats have baffles in them.  It's not nearly as loud as a go fast boat.  At idle especially.  Mine are open 95% of the time and I've never been stopped.  And it doesn't affect talking even when running fast.

My last boat was a 23 foot Interceptor from Caravelle with a 496 equipped with captains call. when open they were very loud, when I would start it up at the launch everyone would look to see where that tone came from. I drove the same boat with a 350 with same exhaust and the tone was not there. If you don't have a big block the exhaust sound is not there. Some people will like the sound of a 350 with open exhaust until you go by a big block. These are just my thoughts I could have ordered our 246 with the exhaust but after having the  big block tone there is no comparison. Again just my thoughts!

Nothing like twin 502s with through hulls. Have 2 buddies with them and its sweet music. If i had more then a 350 i would have a corsa for sure. Just doesnt sound as good with small v8s.

a friend of mine has a 37' Outerlimits with twin Merc Racing 600 SCi.  When he fires up that beast you feel it in your gut!  Now on that boat, you can't hold a conversation.  But MAN does it sound sweet!!

Size ALWAYS matters. 

Our old racing hydros with 580 CI & blown with 20" up sweep short stacks.  Barking with a lightweight flywheel is the best. Instant idle to 7,700 rpm. The torque  rocks the boat side to side.  Ear protection is needed.

Without knowing much about engines,  I'm curious does this add anything to performance?