Sign in to follow this  
ahendri

2003 Mercruiser 5.0l Water Pump

Hey all,

Looking to do some preventative maintenance this spring to my 2003 200ssi with a 5.0l mercruiser motor. I am wanting to replace the water pump because i'm not sure that the previous owner ever did so it could be potentially 16 years old. Does anyone know where I can find a part number for this impeller kit? I have found a manual that looks like the pump is located off the motor. I'm more familiar with outboard motors and those impellers are in the lower unit. Is there an impeller on the lower unit of the bravo drives? Also how do you tell what gen the alpha drive is? The manual I have only talks about the Sea Water pump and it being located on the starboard side of the motor. Do any of you know of a good tutorial on this? The quick search I did on YouTube yielded some videos of people replacing an impeller on the lower unit. Thanks for the feedback in advance!!

Given the size of your boat with the 5.0, I would guess it has an Alpha Gen 2 drive. There should be a sticker on the drive. Is it a single prop? If you do find out it is an Alpha, the impeller is in the lower unit just like it is in an outboard.

More than likely an Alpha. Funny you posted this today, I just took my boat in this morning to have mine changed. I usually run three seasons between changes and have never had a problem. I hope and bet yours has been changed at some point.