osteodoc08

Best Ramp for Lake Allatoona

12 posts in this topic

Typically boat at West Point my entire life. I know that lake fairly well. Bought a 220 SSi for the family to enjoy and I took it out for the first time and used Red Top Mtn State Parks ramp. Whoever designed it should be knocked over the head. No staging area. Sparse parking. Poor ramp approach. The dock is on the opposite side of the finger peninsula it was built on. 

Where is the easiest/most family friendly ramp at Allatoona for me to try next? I'm coming from Rome so the further north on the lake, the better. 

Been to a few ramps like that.  Usually due to the geography they have to deal with.  How did everyone like the 220?

It was cool so only my son and I went out. We had a blast and cruised the lake. 

Boat ran great. On a near glassy area we were  able to hit 5100 rpm and 57mph per the dream o meter. Typically cruised at 3000-3200 rpm at 33-35mph. Fine by me. 

On 4/14/2016 at 10:24 PM, osteodoc08 said:

Where is the easiest/most family friendly ramp at Allatoona for me to try next? I'm coming from Rome so the further north on the lake, the better. 

The Blockhouse ramp would be much better.  That ramp at Red Top is a bad joke.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:39 PM, Rich S said:

Check out Carters lake. I wont go to Allatoona for fear of logs and crowds.

Hey Rich, just curious about your observation.  Been boating on Allatoona for over 30 years and can't remember ever seeing a log.  Do you know someone who had a bad experience with one?

As for crowds, I don't know of any lake in this area that isn't crowded on weekends.  Having said that, the far ends of the lake really are not bad on weekends.  During the week, I can go for quite a while and not see but a couple other boats.

22 hours ago, John Schneider said:

Hey Rich, just curious about your observation.  Been boating on Allatoona for over 30 years and can't remember ever seeing a log.  Do you know someone who had a bad experience with one?

As for crowds, I don't know of any lake in this area that isn't crowded on weekends.  Having said that, the far ends of the lake really are not bad on weekends.  During the week, I can go for quite a while and not see but a couple other boats.

Honestly, my dealer on Lanier mentioned that Allatoona had the issues. The longer we live here I see more of our friends on Allatoona, so I should give her a chance. We are going to Carters Friday and depending on weather if its good we will do Blue Ridge and get a slip and go back Saturday.

I've been using Galts Ferry which has 3 nice ramps and plenty of parking. Bought a season pass so can use blockhouse for free as its included in the pass. 

Move seen floating sticks but no logs. 

Very crowded last weekend

4 hours ago, Rich S said:

Honestly, my dealer on Lanier mentioned that Allatoona had the issues. The longer we live here I see more of our friends on Allatoona, so I should give her a chance. We are going to Carters Friday and depending on weather if its good we will do Blue Ridge and get a slip and go back Saturday.

It always amazes me how Lanier people bash Allatoona, even to the point of making up stories like "logs".  Personally, I would never go to Lanier again.  Its absolute insanity on weekends.

Yeah Lanier is a no go except to run the boat to check to make sure the issue was corrected.

I found a mobile boat mechanic so I dont have to run to Lanier/Dealer anymore except for warranty issues.