mcvette

Bath/Shower Drain

I have a 2003 Signature. I poured water on the bath floor to make sure it was draining properly. Well, guess what. Next thing I knew  there was water in the cabin floor. I have tried to do my research to figure out what the problem is. If I understand  the bath/shower water drains to a pump which I think is located under the step that goes down into the cabin. My question is should I try and take the pump out (it appears to located inside a Plexiglas box) and check the float switch or check and see if the bilge pump is just bad.

Any thought, suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

It's a sump pump,  typically the Attwood S500.  You can buy it at Walmart.  But first pop off the lid and make sure the float is not suck.  They do go out because of soap, hair and what ever else washes off your body :D

Well it shouldn't go on the floor unless you keep the water running and it overflows through the door. If the float switch or pump is bad there is a weep hole in that plastic box that should flow into the bilge.

On the other hand, On my Sig, the shower stall is a two piece and that leaks onto the cable floor a little.. WE just put a towel there when we shower since I can't seem to get it sealed completely.

I did have to change out the pump at one point though.   In the interim I disconnected the hose and let it run into the bilge and used the bilge pump when we were done.. I had a clean bilge that year :)

From what I can tell the water is getting to the box where pump is. So, either the pump is not working or the drain line from the pump to the outside might be clogged.

On our Sig, the pump wiring was cut.  I have no idea how or when, but it was cut and therefore not operating.  Check the wiring.  I simply spliced it back together and it worked fine.  Your battery must be switched on as well.  This isn't a pump that is always hot.  And finally, as Scottbrown said, any overflow from the box should drain into the bilge and not your cabin floor.

Oh, and regarding the float...our boat is a 2008 model and we don't have a float...instead it's one of the pumps that automatically detects fluid and starts up based on that sensor.  Not sure what they did in 2003.

My boat has a "Foward Sump" rocker switch on the dash.  This has to be turned on for the pump to work (I believe my float is bad).  We never use the shower so it's never been an issue. We stick to the swim step shower.

The AC condensation drain goes to your shower sump. On mine the pump was easy to replace and Walmart carried it. 

Actually..I can correct myself.  The float DOES work.  Last time I pulled the boat out, I noticed water coming out that drain plug while hauling up the launch ramp. Float switch had kicked on and pumped because of the incline the boat was on.

All Signature Cruisers have a different sump pump set up based on the model you have.  I have a "turn on sump pump" sticker but there is no switch its only using the automatic float.  My A/C line drains into the bilge.  I have since added a sump pump box for it to go overboard. 

We we don't know from the OP what model they have.

Service the sump pump by cleaning it out, it will get mucked up.  Our sump pump went bad, however it worked intermittently as the  built in float didn't work properly.  I also cleaned out the drain hoses.  The drain hose coming from your sump pump to the through hole has a one way valve that may be clogged.  Check your shower drain  as well as your AC drain hose for impeded flows.

All good information. I know the a/c pump is working fine because I always check to see if water is coming out the side of the boat when it is switched on. I can also see at least one line to the shower pump ( I think there is another one on the other side that I can't see) and there is also another inlet with no hose attached on the near side. This weekend I plan to take the cover off the box and see if I can lift the pump out to check the lines and see if they are clogged and check the electrical connections to be sure it is getting power.

I clean mine out every year, with my wife and daughter showering it gets clogged with hair. Don't make the same mistake I did and start pulling on the pump before unplugging it.  You will get a nasty shower with all the accumulated slime in the sump box. Murphy's Law, it will only come on after you have removed the discharge end of the pump from the hose spraying water everywhere.

Shower / Head drain and ac condensate pump. Checking the installed equip for a 2012 27 ft sig . I have found many issues Eng hatch alignment . Forward bilge pump locked up,  head drain pump and ac condensate. You have to remove the step to get to the pump plug . removed pump and plugged in to a fan motor plug for the engine room vent. pump works. tested plug for the voltage . 12.4 vdc. plugged in pump and activate float  . Nothing. probably bad wire or a loose connection. Checked all accessory switches and connection and breaker connections under and in dash. Does any one know the source of power for this pump feed? I know It has low amp Current . Volts are ok .only option is to feed it from the ac water pump block.

I will bet you that you need to recaulk the door to the floor.

On 4/19/2016 at 11:42 AM, mpm330 said:

The AC condensation drain goes to your shower sump. On mine the pump was easy to replace and Walmart carried it. 

Admiral. Thank you for your service . Ret MKC USCG here. Didn't find the source to the Head AC pump. Wired the contained sealed pump to the AC water pump wire block. AC must be activated for pump operation. Tracing the wire for the pump runs behind the Head bulkhead and not up to the dash harness or breakers. I dont believe Chaparral has a very good QA program . Spoiled Coast Guard training I guess. Not ISO 9001 Certified .

On 4/19/2016 at 11:42 AM, mpm330 said:

I replaced my sump pump today, the old one just stopped working. Filled the bilge pretty high within a week. Now the old one was always full. The new one looks like it stays fairly empty, it's a 1000 GPH. Should it be full of water at all time or just a 1/3 full???

thank you

16 hours ago, Onefastaudi said:

I replaced my sump pump today, the old one just stopped working. Filled the bilge pretty high within a week. Now the old one was always full. The new one looks like it stays fairly empty, it's a 1000 GPH. Should it be full of water at all time or just a 1/3 full???

thank you

Mine has about an inch of water in the box at all times. It takes a little more to activate the float.

The calking  on the wall / floor joint needed resealed on our  Sig.....get an extension tube   makes the job easier.....

On 4/18/2016 at 3:59 PM, mcvette said:

I have a 2003 Signature. I poured water on the bath floor to make sure it was draining properly. Well, guess what. Next thing I knew  there was water in the cabin floor. I have tried to do my research to figure out what the problem is. If I understand  the bath/shower water drains to a pump which I think is located under the step that goes down into the cabin. My question is should I try and take the pump out (it appears to located inside a Plexiglas box) and check the float switch or check and see if the bilge pump is just bad.

Any thought, suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

You are saying that you have water in/on the cabin floor. Not that the drain is clogged in the head and the water is raising, yes?

If so, re-caulk the head floor and side walls. I would take the pump out and clean it every 4 to 6 weeks depending ob usage. My wife's hair, loves to wrap around the impeller. Also, run the water and test the pump.