Anchor to fit in Anchor Box

On 4/25/2016 at 4:46 PM, ssisteve said:

Fortress with about 1/2" off each end and 8' of heavy vinyl coated chain. Works like a champ and fits nicely.

Eight feet of chain is next to nothing. 

Fortress with about 1/2" off each end and 8' of heavy vinyl coated chain. Works like a champ and fits nicely.

Chain is better than length of line in my opinion. Especially in difficult bottoms. Weeds rocks boulders wood piles  submerged tree stumps...........

But chain can get jammed in places also. Anchoring in anything but smooth sand or clay. Is more luck than skill. 

I switched to the sliding ring style of Fluke anchors. IT allows me to use the full V 8 engine power for the REALLY DEEPLY buried anchor in muck or mud. 2 to 3' waves for hours can keep yanking it deeper than needed

I went with a Rocna anchor. The holding power is much greater than anything I have ever used. Will not pull out even if the wind does a 180. 

https://rocna.com/products/original-rocna/  Watch the video, its very good. 

But chain is key to any anchor. It does a few things, acts like a shock absorber and keeps the shank low so the flukes or plow will not pull out. The more the better holding power your rode will have. 

In my Sig 290, I am using 50' of chain. But I am not a lake boater, but a salty.  

Chain is key, agree. But it's not a shock absorber, rope is. Or a snubber. 

I went with a Fortress and will cut down the stock to fit Chaparral anchor locker. With 15' of chain, should be fine. River runner and back bays. 

8 hours ago, Jacalore said:

Chain is key, agree. But it's not a shock absorber, rope is. Or a snubber. 

I went with a Fortress and will cut down the stock to fit Chaparral anchor locker. With 15' of chain, should be fine. River runner and back bays. 

You need to remember, that your chain will lay flat on the bottom. Now if the wind blows your boat back, the wight of the chain will slow down that movement and the pull on the anchor will be less.  With out it, your boat will be pulled back faster and increase the angle giving your anchor less holding power.  So the pull will be greater and your anchor could pull out.

https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/anchor-chain-vs-rope.php 

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/anchor-chain-length.html

I'm familiar with ground tackle and how it works. I singlehanded a 34' sailboat from the Chesapeake to the FL Keys. Spend the winter there, lived aboard, anchored out. Over spec every section of your system, you'll sleep better at night. 

3 hours ago, Jacalore said:

I'm familiar with ground tackle and how it works. I singlehanded a 34' sailboat from the Chesapeake to the FL Keys. Spend the winter there, lived aboard, anchored out. Over spec every section of your system, you'll sleep better at night. 

yep!