NHRADeuce

New Chap owner

After years of messing around with 19-20' bowriders and flat bottoms jets the Admiral put her foot down and made me get a respectable boat. Being a supreme penny pincher and do it yourselfer, I wasn't about to pay full price for anything, particularly because the mandate was for a 24' deck boat with an extended swim platform and side entrance. Dual captains seats were also high on the list. After looking at every deck boat for sale in the Lake Norman area, I had it narrowed down to a 2002 Sunesta 243. The Boat Rack had a near perfect match that would have set me back 20 deers without a trailer. It sold the day we went in to buy it.

The search resumed and I cam across a 2002 Sunesta 243 that the seller said was in rough shape and needed to be gone through. No problem, I'm all about saving a little and making it up with some sweat equity. I gave them a lowball offer and didn't hear back for a couple of weeks. I figured they were ignoring my offer until the finally called back and told me to come pick it up... for 9.5 deer! On top of that, the dealer that was storing it had just gone through and fixed all of the mechanical issues including new batteries and an external water pick up. She passed the sea trial with flying colors, everything worked. The only issues I could find were a pretty good layer of oxidation on the hull and a pretty dirty interior. One captains seat was missing the back and one of the seat cushions was in bad shape. I ended up scoring a pair of replacement captains seats out of a 2003 243 that are in great shape so now all I need is one cushion reskinned and a good buff and polish on the hull.

Never thought I would be a Chaparral owner, but I am very pleased with the purchase. Oh yeah, as an added bonus, she's equipped with a 350 Mag and B3 drive with a grand total of 140 hours! One last thing, since our practically brand new 2015 Pilot had no chance of towing the new toy, I also ended up trading the tow rig in for a 2015 Dodge Durango RT AWD in all black. And none of it was my idea!

Anyhow, I just had to share and I figured hardcore Chap owners would appreciate the story.

I haven't had a chance for the buff and polish but here's a before picture:

iYvTb6kTCMIaR18a0ZcjnYAKH3mnzmVyK4HSu5Rg 

Now THAT'S a steal!  Congrats and welcome to the club.  Now get to work on the sweat equity...I have a feeling it'll go a long way with you on this boat!

You will have many hours of enjoyment on that boat.  Your daughter is on the bow thinking of all the friends she can invite now.

Sounds like you got a great deal, they did all the mechanicals and you got a low hour drivetrain to boot!    Look forward to pics after you work your magic on the outside.

Welcome to the club. Your family will really enjoy the 243, we had one for three years. We look forward to being updated on her progress. Let us know if you have any questions, a lot of information available here on this site.

3 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

You will have many hours of enjoyment on that boat.  Your daughter is on the bow thinking of all the friends she can invite now.

Funny you should mention that. That is exactly what our daughters have been talking about since we went out for the test run. Our old Wellcraft was rated for 8 and it was a tight fit. They're already arguing over which 10 friends they can invite.

1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

Welcome to the club. Your family will really enjoy the 243, we had one for three years. We look forward to being updated on her progress. Let us know if you have any questions, a lot of information available here on this site.

You're not kidding. I've already spent hours going through old posts and finding all kinds of handy info. I'm sure I will come up with more questions as I dig in.

1 minute ago, TXAgg said:

Not to pry, but I think I found your boat!

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-CHAPARRAL-243-Sunesta-102636936

That's her! The pics there played to my favor I think. It looks WAY worse there. The only difference between those and the one I posted is a 650 mile drive from NJ to NC and hosing it down to knock off the dust and dirt.

We got a boat that was all dirty and oxidized too. We spent a good 3 days!! cleaning and polishing it and it looks almost as good as new! Just spend some "quality time" with it and it should come out great. Would post before/after pics but forgot to take before pics! Looks like a nice boat!