Tlandry

Leaving the boat

Launched the boat last weekend, performed the sea trial and everything went smooth. She runs great and the family loves her. 03 sig 280 btw.

My question is, when I leaver her for the week, what do people do with the shorepower? I know I can have the batt switches off and keep the batt charger breaker on to keep her topped off, but what about keeping the fridge running? Is there any reason to turn the batt switches off? What do you all do?

This makes me wonder now.  Is there anything bad about leaving the battery switches ON with the charger and fridge ON?  I've left the boat like this every time I leave for a trip with no ill effects.....but never really thought about it.  

Batteries off fridge on.

It isn't unheard of to have a voltage leak in a DC circuit. If you do it will/may drain the battery.

41 minutes ago, flyboycj84 said:

This makes me wonder now.  Is there anything bad about leaving the battery switches ON with the charger and fridge ON?  I've left the boat like this every time I leave for a trip with no ill effects.....but never really thought about it.  

You need to leave the battery on if you're running the A/C while away.  This powers the sump pump to take away condensation...you'll remember the thread about this from last year.  

I can't answer  your question directly, but keeping the DC bus energized for a week and for several weeks out of the year can't be great for the system.  I think the biggest "danger" lies with accidentally leaving something DC powered on (like stereo, lights, etc.).  

Also I'm not sure how the refrigerator senses AC/DC.  If the refrigerator breaker is on and shore power is connected, does the AC bus take precedence or does the fridge require there to be no DC bus activity in order to switch to AC?

3 hours ago, Tlandry said:

Launched the boat last weekend, performed the sea trial and everything went smooth. She runs great and the family loves her. 03 sig 280 btw.

My question is, when I leaver her for the week, what do people do with the shorepower? I know I can have the batt switches off and keep the batt charger breaker on to keep her topped off, but what about keeping the fridge running? Is there any reason to turn the batt switches off? What do you all do?

And to answer the original question, I agree.  Batteries off and shore power on (unless like I said above you leave the air conditioning on).  Make sure the AC breakers for refrigerator and battery charger are on.  

Also, and this certainly varies from boat to boat, but if you have any after-market AC powered equipment installed, be sure to know how it's wired.  In my case, I have a bilge heater.  Took me a while to understand why it wasn't coming on when it was cold.  Turns out it was wired to the cockpit outlet circuit, so when I leave the boat in the winter, I have to leave that breaker on in addition to the fridge and battery charger.

Thank you gentlemen, having so many systems on my boat is new to me. 

Tell you what....Chaparral makes a great boat.

2 hours ago, Scottbrown312 said:

yup.. Battery switches off. Battery charger on and Fridge running. You don't want the beer to get warm :beer-7687-1:

+1!!