Sign in to follow this  
cigarzfan

QUOTE (BobMan @ Jun 28 2008,

Need some help. Background: This is a 1998 Sunesta 232 DB.

Boat started fine just two weeks ago. Thought battery might be dead.

I charged the battery. It is 100% charged. I may take it to auto store to check whether bad battery. Anyhow, when I turned on the battery, gauges such as blower work.

Ignition switch does turn freely both directions, 360 degrees. 1/4 turn and engine alarm sounds. Nothing otherwise. Trying to figure out how to "hotwire" ignition key to see if switch is problem.

Otherwise I get nothing else. Solenoid doesn't even click.

I tried jumping large solenoid posts with a Screwdriver. This sparked the starter. I don't know if this means solenoid is bad.

Thanks.

Need some help. Background: This is a 1998 Sunesta 232 DB.

Boat started fine just two weeks ago. Thought battery might be dead.

I charged the battery. It is 100% charged. I may take it to auto store to check whether bad battery. Anyhow, when I turned on the battery, gauges such as blower work.

Ignition switch does turn freely both directions, 360 degrees. 1/4 turn and engine alarm sounds. Nothing otherwise. Trying to figure out how to "hotwire" ignition key to see if switch is problem.

Otherwise I get nothing else. Solenoid doesn't even click.

I tried jumping large solenoid posts with a Screwdriver. This sparked the starter. I don't know if this means solenoid is bad.

Thanks.

Could be the slave solenoid has packed it in. If a MerCruiser, you can always record where the wires go, and read the part number on the back of the solenoid. Order if needed; cheap way to try and fix it yourself.

Figured it out. It was indeed a dead slave solenoid. Went to O'Reillys Auto Parts and got a new one for $10.

Hopefully will go out tomorrow.

Went to O'Reillys Auto Parts and got a new one for $10.

Whoa, Cigarz ! Is that solenoid a USCG approved part - from O'Reilly's?? Then engine compartment is

a VERY bad place for an errant spark! Better check it out before you hit the lake with the lid down.

Figured it out. It was indeed a dead slave solenoid. Went to O'Reillys Auto Parts and got a new one for $10.

The starter and solenoid assembly should be marine rated (SAE J1171) for external ignition protected. This has been a marine requirement since 1977.

"This SAE Recommended Practice covers all electrical devices suitable for use in marine engine compartments and fuel tank spaces."

In other words, it prevents big booms from happening when you turn on the ignition. ;)

The starter and solenoid assembly should be marine rated (SAE J1171) for external ignition protected. This has been a marine requirement since 1977.

"This SAE Recommended Practice covers all electrical devices suitable for use in marine engine compartments and fuel tank spaces."

In other words, it prevents big booms from happening when you turn on the ignition. ;)

She's either ignition or ignitor.

Whoa, Cigarz ! Is that solenoid a USCG approved part - from O'Reilly's?? Then engine compartment is

a VERY bad place for an errant spark! Better check it out before you hit the lake with the lid down.

Amen to that bro. There is no way in heck I'd ever even CONSIDER using straight auto-parts-store stuff in the engine compartment. Not too crazy about paying the price for genuine Mercruiser stuff, but the peace of mind it gives me is worth it in the long run.

Thanks for feedback. So, of course, you all spooked the #$^% out of me.

The first solenoid I got was from O'Reillys. It came in a package by "Prime Line" Power Equipment Products, but is made by Trombetta. The packaging says it replaces various garden tractor solenoids. It is the solenoid on the left.

Due to feedback here, I went to Napa Auto Parts to get a Marine certified solenoid. It was in Napa packaging. Yet, it too is made by Trombetta. It has same part number, patent number, everything virtually identical. In fact, the only thing different are the numbers on the lower right of the solenoid. This one (on the right) says "06/42". The Prime Line one says "07/20".

The other difference? The auto one cost $10; the Napa Marine one $23.00. I'll install the Napa one, but I feel like they are the same product at more than double the price.

post-3529-1214756288_thumb.jpg

post-3529-1214756623_thumb.jpg

You're right...they look identical and most likely are. The "06/42" and "07/20" are most likely date codes of manufacture (2006/42nd week). There may be many times that manufacturers decide to carry just one P/N for reducing inventory and choose to use the marine compatible item. But it's kinda risky not knowing for sure.

I know in the aerospace business, it's common to use standard items with a special part numbers, thus requiring others to buy it from you.

The first solenoid I got was from O'Reillys. It came in a package by "Prime Line" Power Equipment Products, but is made by Trombetta. The packaging says it replaces various garden tractor solenoids. It is the solenoid on the left.

Due to feedback here, I went to Napa Auto Parts to get a Marine certified solenoid. It was in Napa packaging. Yet, it too is made by Trombetta. It has same part number, patent number, everything virtually identical. In fact, the only thing different are the numbers on the lower right of the solenoid. This one (on the right) says "06/42". The Prime Line one says "07/20".

The other difference? The auto one cost $10; the Napa Marine one $23.00. I'll install the Napa one, but I feel like they are the same product at more than double the price.

Suspect that the lower right numbers are "production / batch" numbers. Appears to be no difference, but you have documentation of a marine certified solenoid should there ever be a question. Maybe Chris can add some insight ... :unsure:

Appears to be no difference, but you have documentation of a marine certified solenoid should there ever be a question.

Absolutely right! There are many parts under the deck that look very similar, if not identical, to regular automotive parts. However, it is rarely the exterior casing that is the 'marine' part of the equation. In this case, it is the internal parts that could make a big boom. I question Napa's part myself, mainly because of the lack of any "marine" designations on the case - which most electrical parts will have. Wouldn't be the first time something got packaged in the wrong box!! (sometimes even on purpose)

As the quote above says, best to keep that Napa documentation, just in case. In the mean time I would suggest running your engine compartment blower ALL the time, and for a minute or so before every start-up - you know, if there are no fumes in there to ignite....

your missing the big picture here, yes, you just bought the same exact part and got screwed for nmma, but now if you go boom, one of you living relatives now has the right to sue napa since you put in the correct part and all it cost you was $13, I think you did good.

your missing the big picture here, yes, you just bought the same exact part and got screwed for nmma, but now if you go boom, one of you living relatives now has the right to sue napa since you put in the correct part and all it cost you was $13, I think you did good.

Don't get me wrong. I'm okay paying an extra $13 for a marine part. I still think it is the same part, however, with NAPA charging extra because of marine designation.

As for whether it is marine or not - the Napa Packaging says it is for Mercruiser stern drive marine engines.

Don't get me wrong. I'm okay paying an extra $13 for a marine part. I still think it is the same part, however, with NAPA charging extra because of marine designation.

As for whether it is marine or not - the Napa Packaging says it is for Mercruiser stern drive marine engines.

As long as NAPA is correct, I think you're right. Those two parts are identical, otherwise the Trombetta P/N would be different.

And a retailer is getting more for the same part because of the marine qualification.

At that price difference I'd buy the NAPA one...

Being me I'd actually buy 2 NAPA ones and the 1 O'Reilley's and disect the 2 spares carefully. it will be very easy to spot an internal difference on that small of a part. I'd look for a clear coating on the internal electrical. If there is NO difference then NAPA is screwin' people...

If there is NO difference then NAPA is screwin' people...

This is exactly what I was thinking, on purpose, or by mistake, makes no difference.

Did anyone notice the website printed on the part?? I visited the website and looked up the part #. They do not list that specific part in their parts break-downs, but it is listed. NO WHERE on any of their documentation do they refer their parts as being SAE J1171 (marine) rated!

I've sent an email to the company asking that very question, we will see if I get a response.

This is exactly what I was thinking, on purpose, or by mistake, makes no difference.

Did anyone notice the website printed on the part?? I visited the website and looked up the part #. They do not list that specific part in their parts break-downs, but it is listed. NO WHERE on any of their documentation do they refer their parts as being SAE J1171 (marine) rated!

I've sent an email to the company asking that very question, we will see if I get a response.

You might send one to NAPA asking them why the marine part doesn't have the SAE J1171 rating on it.

You might send one to NAPA asking them why the marine part doesn't have the SAE J1171 rating on it.

I would love to hear the answer to that one!

I would love to hear the answer to that one!

I'm thinking the response would be something like this, "SAE J11....what?"