JPW

Place to buy a replacement canvas for Bimini Top

2008 Chap 244 Xtream.

My wake tower has a Bimini top on it.   It's getting pretty beat up and looking to get new canvas.

I do not have a Chap dealer anywhere near me.   Anyone recommend on-line location to get a replacement canvas made?

I would check with your local canvas shop. Probably get one custom made fro cheaper.

I had a local marine canvas shop make my replacement a few years back. 

brick

I agree with Phillbo and brick, go to a local canvas shop, most likely cheaper and more options.

19 minutes ago, SM Sophie II said:

Check this site out, I had mine done at a shop then found this site. This site is substantially cheaper and made to fit exactly your boat. Just put your model and year in. you need the HULL identification number to order. 

http://rnr-marine.com/auto/Chaparral_330-Signature-Arch_(2006-2009).shtml

I posted the same link haha! Good stuff though right? I ordered from there as well.

you see them on ebay from time to time, but they usually want to sell you the entire frame too.

I always go to my local canvas shop, but they will probably be busy this time of year.

I used s canvas shop as my Bimini is integrated with the tower, and not stock. They did a nice job. Took them my boat in the off-season  and had same day turn-around...

brick

I used rnr-marine twice so far:  for replacing my bimini and my cockpit cover.  Each was around 800-1,000.  When I asked a local Annapolis canvas guy, the price was at least double and the wait time was long.  The canvas guy was very helpful and his evaluation of the OEM covers I brought him was that they were good but not great -- he said he would have used a better thread and something different on the edges...  Bottom line, he would have to come measure the boat, then cut, then install (and maybe adjust), so that drives up labor cost.

I decided that going with rnr-marine was better for me: cheaper, quicker, and sure to fit with the canvas windows that zipper to the bimini.  Only challenge was that I had to find and then paid someone to add  the snaps for the cockpit cover (rnr provides the female snaps, but they need to be installed to match your boat mail snaps screwed into the fiberglass).  It matched the original colors exactly.  I'd definitely use rnr again.

rnr often has sales around holidays (e.g., Memorial Day, Spring...), so that saves 5-8% in my experience.

9 hours ago, Scottbrown312 said:

I would stay away from RNR Marine and Ameritex...  Speaking from experience...  Go to a local canvas shop..

I don't doubt any of the advice on this thread, but I used Ameritex to replace some eisenglass and was extremely happy.  Quality product, great support, and fairly good turnaround time.

TP I don't doubt some had good experience... However, You know how they have a pic of the zipper on the website to determine if you have an the correct #8 zipper?  Well I couldn't really tell so I took a pic of mine with a ruler and asked them if I had the correct zipper. They said I did and I proceeded to buy the front and side connectors.  Well my zippers were # 10.. They refused to correct it and said Ameritex NEVER put number 10 zippers on their products. 

My canvas was AMERITEX original and you could tell.  Every snap and sewed on tag said AMERITEX.. Granted I bought the boat used so I wasn't 100% sure but who in there right mind would take an OEM canvas and change ALL the zippers? Just the zippers? I mean why would anybody do that?. 

So I went to a local canvas shop and they couldn't really do anything for me.. I'd have to buy everything new.

I didn't want to throw out the money I just spent on the connector and side curtains so I was forced to buy the bimini top and aft canvas from RNR... End result was everything was 1K more than from a local canvas shop.

To boot, when I was ordering the connectors, I asked that they install the snaps because the mating snap on the window moves so I can adjust them.. They said Chaparral doesn't allow them to install the snaps.. OK I can live with that.

But when I received the aft canvas, the snaps were installed. Of course some were a bit off and you can't adjust the snaps screwed into the boat.

For me it's a local canvas shop from here on out... 

Buyer beware.....

19 minutes ago, Scottbrown312 said:

But when I received the aft canvas, the snaps were installed. Of course some were a bit off and you can't adjust the snaps screwed into the boat.

For me it's a local canvas shop from here on out... 

Buyer beware.....

Wow, I'm sorry you had that experience, but thanks for posting.  My purchase wasn't as involved as yours, so your experience was probably more appropriate for the OP.  Regarding the snaps, it took a year (and someone on this forum) for me to figure out that the snaps on the boat were adjustable.  Obviously not the ones screwed into the fiberglass, but if you have snaps on a rail they are adjustable.  Just in case you didn't know.