David Paul

electrical problem

13 posts in this topic

I have an 07 ssx 236 with duo batteries. My #2 batt dies over about 1-2 weeks. The batt select switch is off. I replaced both batts 6 weeks ago but that did not help. I think the #2 batt even with switch off still can run bilge pump, radio mem and the anode system. Any suggestions on tracking this power drain would be greatly appreciated. Oh, boat is not in the water so bilge pump should not be suspect. Made sure radio is off. The anode, don't know how it does what it does.

First I would use a amp meter to see witch battery the power is being pulled from. From there, if needed go to the fuse/breaker panel to see which circuit is drawing power.

I used the ampmeter and it is from batt #2. If the batt selector switch is off, then is power going to the breaker panel? Also, just a few minutes ago I removed one of the positive leads from the #2 batt (there are 2 red wires connected to the positive on #2) and found that the lead going to the batt switch is drawing the current. (Anywhere from .3 to .5 amps switch in off position.) With switch in on position for #2 batt, .7 amps.  Does this point in any certain direction? Thanks

I don't know your boat. But I would disconnect wires to see if the current stops.

No, there are 1000 milliamp to one amp. so 80 milliamps = .08 amps. You must have a bad battery that is not holding a charge or something else is drawing current. Do a voltage reading with your charger on or engine running and with them off. 

Correct what I'm saying is that if you have more draw on the battery than that  it will drain within a couple of days.

As to killing it fast. Well............. At 80 Milliamps for 100hrs would  be a total of 8 amps. If you used your boat once a week, that kind of load should not be noticeable.

Just to point out, our cars. There always is a drain on the battery for the remote and radio.

That is correct, the maximum draw for our cars is around 80 milliamps. Our manufacturers have no exact spec and if you ask them they will say to compare to another comparable vehicle. If you hook up an amp meter on the negative side it will usually start at 150 to 250 milliamps until the ecm powers down and the body control module enters sleep or battery saver mode then the system should rest at around 25 milliamps. That can take up to a half hour. Once you get up past 80 then the battery can go dead in several days. In order to isolate the circuit you have to start pulling fuses or unhooking components till the draw goes away. 

On 5/7/2016 at 11:44 AM, David Paul said:

I have an 07 ssx 236 with duo batteries. My #2 batt dies over about 1-2 weeks. The batt select switch is off. I replaced both batts 6 weeks ago but that did not help. I think the #2 batt even with switch off still can run bilge pump, radio mem and the anode system. Any suggestions on tracking this power drain would be greatly appreciated. Oh, boat is not in the water so bilge pump should not be suspect. Made sure radio is off. The anode, don't know how it does what it does.

Have you been able to confirm that the battery is starting out with a full charge? Takes no effort to drain a dead battery. In other words, are you fully charging it after finding it dead in 2 weeks? if not, then its likely going to stay dead. 

Boat parked with bilge plug out, right?  

8 minutes ago, David Paul said:

Been in my shop and ceiling don't leak! Batts have been fully charged above 13v

There is a #10 red wire that comes off #2batt positive post and goes to the top of motor where it terminates into a 20amp breaker. Does anyone know what it is to?

Typically, bilge, trim/trailer, radio memory and merccathode system are all live, even with the power off. So chances are you are simply draining the battery. Can you add an on-board charger ?

brick