dn0349

Thinking new F-150

Well I'm pretty close to placing an order to build a 2016 F-150.  I have been looking for awhile on different trucks and we really love the style and new technology on the F-150.  Looking at the max tow package and my current configuration of the truck would allow 11,500lb which I won't even be close to.

Somethings we really like:

3.5L v6 EcoBoost

360 Camera

Dynamic Hitch Assist

Trailer Backup Assist (my wife used this in a demo and found it extremely easy to back up a trailer, she actually is wanting to try it with the boat!)

I know there have been several people that have gotten F-150s in the last year and looking to see how you still like them?  I know MPG isn't all the marketing hype but it is a truck so I'm not overly concerned there. 

Gonna order mine Thursday night.  Have the 3.5 and love it.  MPG based on how you drive.  Pay no attention to window sticker.   19 hwy  16 city.   Towing 5000 lbs 14.5  power galore. Enjoy 

If all goes well,  Saturday I'll be ordering.  Did you look at any other brands?

Yes, but bias back towards Ford every time.  I built prototypes for them for 20 years.  I like the GMC but the ford A Plan discount is to much of a factor.  I've owned Fords all my life and been very satisfied with them.  I have had 4-f150's and a Bronco.  The last two being F150 super Crew 4x4.  The current vehicle has the Eco boost and by far the most power and creature comforts.  

I have towed a 1984 24 ft sea Ray with the latest one and other than another mpg reduction it was pretty uneventful with plenty of pick up and power.  

Have been going back and forth between the 3.5 and the 2.7 and leaning towards the 3.5 as we are getting 5 ft ittis.  If you can stay below the 80% of max tow and get the 2.7 they claim you won't be sorry. I drove one and think it's got more get up and Go then mine now.  

I currently have the XLT super Crew 3.5L 4x4 3.75 locking rear axle and it's a lease...or I would be keeping it.  I love it.  Best vehicle I've ever owned

That is awesome!  I used to be a GM fan all the way until I got screwed on a GMC Sierra 1500 when GM claimed my fault for a transmission overheat and I was not even towing!  Took a year and half before I won that battle and as soon as it was settled I jumped ship and will never be back.  I do have an X-Plan which like you said makes a deal very inviting especially with the incentives right now with Ford.

I've looked at RAM with the ecodiesel but I've heard of so many problems with that engine it makes me pretty hesitant. 

I have a couple of buddies with Toyota's but they are pretty plane Jane options.  The guys that have like them but Ford definitely has sexier options and technology.

I have really thought about the 2.7L and I could easily get it and tow my boat.  Something I've gone back and fourth on and reading about which engine to get on the internet is not helping!  Every time I tell myself 2.7L is fine I get a voice in my head that says get the 3.5L you will be happier.....ah decisions!!!!:beat-dead-horse:

I'm curious on the 2017 F-150s as there have been a lot of speculation.  We know the Raptor is coming out with a new redesigned 3.6L Ecoboost (with start/stop :() and a 10 speed transmission.  Not sure I want to jump on the new first gen tranny but from my understanding Ford and GM worked together on it and will be sharing the technology.  Also the big rumor is they are going to come out with a diesel and I know there are pictures on the net with the truck and exhaust driving around Michigan so that one will be interesting to see if it comes true.  Part of me thinks it is wishful thinking with how much they have poured into the Ecoboost engines.

55 minutes ago, dn0349 said:

I'm curious on the 2017 F-150s as there have been a lot of speculation.  We know the Raptor is coming out with a new redesigned 3.6L Ecoboost (with start/stop :() and a 10 speed transmission.  Not sure I want to jump on the new first gen tranny but from my understanding Ford and GM worked together on it and will be sharing the technology.  Also the big rumor is they are going to come out with a diesel and I know there are pictures on the net with the truck and exhaust driving around Michigan so that one will be interesting to see if it comes true.  Part of me thinks it is wishful thinking with how much they have poured into the Ecoboost engines.

Yup, yup,yup, nope wait for refined trans. I live very close to that trans and its development.  

Most confidant you will like the 3.5L It does allow you to put trans temp on display when towing. You can see if it's heating up to much.  

I like my '13 F150 with 5.0L.  I have 3:55 locking rear end with 8600 Lb towing (iirc).  I now have over 40,000 miles and plan to driv it till the wheels fall off.

I have a friend with a 2015 5.0L XLT with 13k miles and he's had a minor collision in the front.  I have to say, helping him and my body shop friend do the repairs, I was suprised how flimsy the bumper bracket and frame horns are.  I'll be honest, you don't want a 5-10 mph bump on the front.  This experience has opened my eyes.  It's as strong as I would expect from a Susuki Sameri!

Got a new F-150 platinum last week, and I love it so far.  It's very luxurious, hard to believe its a truck!  My wife's Toyota Sequoia platinum looks plane jane next to it.  Get the bigger ecoboost for sure, the power is decent, but I wouldn't want any less, especially when towing.  I've towed my 276ssi once with it, which is close to 10k lbs., and it towed very well.

Moe

On 5/10/2016 at 2:09 PM, dn0349 said:

Well I'm pretty close to placing an order to build a 2016 F-150.  I have been looking for awhile on different trucks and we really love the style and new technology on the F-150.  Looking at the max tow package and my current configuration of the truck would allow 11,500lb which I won't even be close to.

Somethings we really like:

3.5L v6 EcoBoost

360 Camera

Dynamic Hitch Assist

Trailer Backup Assist (my wife used this in a demo and found it extremely easy to back up a trailer, she actually is wanting to try it with the boat!)

I know there have been several people that have gotten F-150s in the last year and looking to see how you still like them?  I know MPG isn't all the marketing hype but it is a truck so I'm not overly concerned there. 

Go for it, bro!  Love the 360 Camera and the dynamic hitch assist, those are VERY COOL and I only have the back-up camera but I get the ball right on the hitch ever time now with that perforated line they give you and it is just awesome!  Good luck and I didn't read any further than this first post but you'll love it!  Guaranteed!

BTW, what did you have before that?  I only ask because the turning radius on this thing is going to surprise you quite a bit if you had an older truck.  These new ones turn on a dime which might make your trailing around streets a bit of a thing to have to get used to.  No big deal because it's better.  

Hope you do it! Yaaaaay! :mandancing:

I am starting to look for a replacement for my trusty 2003 Expedition. Looking at another Expedition or an F150. Have the 3.5 EcoBoost in a 2015 Explorer Sport, and it is awesome. Might wait for the 10 speed automatic. And new  Expy coming for MY2018, so not sure what I will do yet. Shopping is fun...

brick

9 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Go for it, bro!  Love the 360 Camera and the dynamic hitch assist, those are VERY COOL and I only have the back-up camera but I get the ball right on the hitch ever time now with that perforated line they give you and it is just awesome!  Good luck and I didn't read any further than this first post but you'll love it!  Guaranteed!

BTW, what did you have before that?  I only ask because the turning radius on this thing is going to surprise you quite a bit if you had an older truck.  These new ones turn on a dime which might make your trailing around streets a bit of a thing to have to get used to.  No big deal because it's better.  

Hope you do it! Yaaaaay! :mandancing:

Thanks Bud!  Definitely leaning towards it.  I have a '04 F150 that has been rock solid and the only thing I had replaced was one coil. 

5 minutes ago, brick said:

I am starting to look for a replacement for my trusty 2003 Expedition. Looking at another Expedition or an F150. Have the 3.5 EcoBoost in a 2015 Explorer Sport, and it is awesome. Might wait for the 10 speed automatic. And new  Expy coming for MY2018, so not sure what I will do yet. Shopping is fun...

brick

Brick - Shopping is fun right up to the time you start to negotiate...LOL Question, have you considered the 2.7L?  I too have thought about waiting for the 10 speed transmission but I'm not always big on buying first gen stuff.  The other issue is how fast will they be offering it in the 2017 F-150, I heard various reports from early spring to late fall.

Just now, dn0349 said:

Brick - Shopping is fun right up to the time you start to negotiate...LOL Question, have you considered the 2.7L?  I too have thought about waiting for the 10 speed transmission but I'm not always big on buying first gen stuff.  The other issue is how fast will they be offering it in the 2017 F-150, I heard various reports from early spring to late fall.

I hear good things about the 2.7 EcoBoost, but I think I will go with the larger 3.5, for it's higher tow rating. 

Agree on the first gen concern. 

brick

Got a 16 xlt supercrew with the 2.7 and 3.55.  Drove both the 3.5 and 2.7 and didn't notice any real difference in a test drive setting. Both run unbelievably though.  Found the truck with the features that I wanted on the lot and it had the 2.7 so I went with it. For what I tow now (216 ssi) and envision ever towing, this is fully capable. If identicle trucks were there, with the only difference being the 2.7 or 3.5, I would've went 3.5 just because.  Coming from a 05 Tacoma with no backup anything, it's so awesome how easy it is to hook up now. Didn't set up the trailer backup assist yet so can't say anything about that yet.  Love the truck especially coming the Tacoma. The technological advancements in 10 years or so is amazing. 

45 minutes ago, dn0349 said:

Thanks Bud!  Definitely leaning towards it.  I have a '04 F150 that has been rock solid and the only thing I had replaced was one coil. 

Just 1 coil in all that time?  I think you did pretty well considering being almost 11 years old.  I had to do A LOT more than that lol, but that's because I use it for my business and that puts it through a lot..  But I would think the 3.5 would be better for you.  Forget the gas mileage as you said, try not to make that too much of a concern for you making the final determination.  If I told you what I get on the recent truck ou'd fall off your chair lol. :) And even though it rides like a rock, it's made for that and makes towing anything but especially the boat a breeze.

9 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Just 1 coil in all that time?  I think you did pretty well considering being almost 11 years old.  I had to do A LOT more than that lol, but that's because I use it for my business and that puts it through a lot..  But I would think the 3.5 would be better for you.  Forget the gas mileage as you said, try not to make that too much of a concern for you making the final determination.  If I told you what I get on the recent truck ou'd fall off your chair lol. :) And even though it rides like a rock, it's made for that and makes towing anything but especially the boat a breeze.

LOL yeah that is what I hear that I got lucky :)

19 minutes ago, bhutch said:

Got a 16 xlt supercrew with the 2.7 and 3.55.  Drove both the 3.5 and 2.7 and didn't notice any real difference in a test drive setting. Both run unbelievably though.  Found the truck with the features that I wanted on the lot and it had the 2.7 so I went with it. For what I tow now (216 ssi) and envision ever towing, this is fully capable. If identicle trucks were there, with the only difference being the 2.7 or 3.5, I would've went 3.5 just because.  Coming from a 05 Tacoma with no backup anything, it's so awesome how easy it is to hook up now. Didn't set up the trailer backup assist yet so can't say anything about that yet.  Love the truck especially coming the Tacoma. The technological advancements in 10 years or so is amazing. 

Great to hear you are liking the '16 and the 2.7L!  You are correct truck is packed with technology and is not even in the same lot as my 04.  I was going to ask if you like the backup assist...lol my wife is actually is looking forward to that feature the most believe it or not.  She has never backed the truck with boat attached, but when I showed her the video she said I can do that!  Well we will see......

2 hours ago, dn0349 said:

Great to hear you are liking the '16 and the 2.7L!  You are correct truck is packed with technology and is not even in the same lot as my 04.  I was going to ask if you like the backup assist...lol my wife is actually is looking forward to that feature the most believe it or not.  She has never backed the truck with boat attached, but when I showed her the video she said I can do that!  Well we will see......

Will try to do it soon to get you some feedback.  Not sure what's all involved.  I did see it requires some sticker placements on the trailer.  I'll get back asap. 

I was just reading the maintenance schedule for these trucks and 10,000 mile oil changes is that right???

I think that is fairly typical with full synthetic oil. 

brick

We have had our 2016 Lariat F 150 for about a month now and we love it. I think it will pull 12,200 # but I am just pulling about half with ease. Make sure you get the larger trailering mirrors that extend out further and fold remotely really helps when going through a drive through. The backup assist is great, tow haul mode is an asset. I was shocked to see how much power the 3.5 has.

56 minutes ago, botrdav said:

We have had our 2016 Lariat F 150 for about a month now and we love it. I think it will pull 12,200 # but I am just pulling about half with ease. Make sure you get the larger trailering mirrors that extend out further and fold remotely really helps when going through a drive through. The backup assist is great, tow haul mode is an asset. I was shocked to see how much power the 3.5 has.

You like the tow mirrors?  I was going back an forth on that and like the smaller ones which do fold electronically.  The tow mirrors are definitely big.

My opinion is to go with the tow mirrors as you will actually have 2 mirrors on each side with the curved mirror being lower and when you power the mirrors out then you will see the difference you see so much more. I tried both mirrors and am very glad we chose the trailer mirrors. 

If you go with tow mirrors, make sure they are power fold.  I really regret not having power fold.  Too close of a call pulling into the garage to not pull them in.  Not an issue for me anywhere else. Not my everyday driver so I get by.  If I drove it everyday,  a very, very expensive swap would have to be done.