Raypex

Captain's Call exhaust

I need some advice about my exhaust. I bought a 2002 265 SSI last year. I was having problems with overheating of the exhaust due to the common problem of wear in the seawater pump. I know that I overheated the exhaust system on at least a few occasions. I just put in a new Hardin pump to correct the priming issue but I am concerned with the diverters and rubber connections surrounding the Corsa switchable exhaust. I have evidence that the exhaust got very hot in the form of partially melted wire looms in close proximity to the risers and diverted assembly. 

What I don't know is whether or not I need to rebuild the diverters and replace the rubber connections to the riser, "Y" pipe, and side exhaust elbow. I do get some drips from around the rubber and can't seem to tighten the clamps enough to stop them but they are minor. If I do need to perform these repairs, do I need gaskets for the riser? What is the easiest procedure to R and R the parts?

I also want to thank Wingnut for suggesting that I look closer at the pump. He was right.

Thanks in advance

2002 Chaparral 265 SSI 496 MAG Bravo III with closed cooling and Corsa Captain's call exhaust.

I have the same system but with sea water cooling. I was melting the coupler that joined the riser elbow and the first part of the exhaust.....hard to explain. Not sure if this is where your is having problems but there was an update or advisory to correct my problem. 

They added additional clamps and adjusted the angle of the exit pipes that were coming off the riser. Mine were to low on one side. 

You could u ld try raising the angle...like pulling everything up to correct the water flow maybe and see if that helps.

Those hose clamps, carefully remove them and drop them in the bin. Replace them with Mikalor  Supra W4 121 Clamps.

I can answer this part, if you do pull the risers off, you will need to replace the gaskets.  I just pulled my risers, elbow and corsa diverters off to look for any corrosion.  It's an easy job but you definitely need to remove all of the old gasket material and lightly sand the surfaces to ensure they are good and clean.  Then reinstall with new gaskets.

Thanks for the good info guys. I don't think my overheat problem will continue nor will I need to reconfigure anything. 

My big question is if the diverters should be rebuilt and how to go about it? Does anyone have experience with this?

I will look into the better clamps for the drips

Thanks to all for your help!

I have some interest in this question as well if you don't mind. I just picked up a 2000 235SSI with Silent Choice and only one side will shut off.  :(

Bullitt, 

I would suspect that you have a problem with the actuator. Either it's bad or the power supply to it has a problem. I would start with a test light. Do you know what you are looking at? You can activate the solenoids via the dash switch with the key on. The actuators should give a loud click and move the rods which are connected to the diverters.

Pic of Corsa exhaust

This might help.

The solenoid and rod are mounted to the housing and you can kind-of see how the diverter pivots.

You are welcome to stay on my thread but you will get more input by starting your own.

Ray

And Congrats on the new Boat!

Ray, You'll love that Hardin S/S Sea Water pump. I've had one on my boat for like 3 or 4 years now and "ZERO" problems with it and the raw water pressure is higher with it, as indicated on my raw water pressure gauge. No more cracked or scored pump bodies.....

On 5/14/2016 at 8:03 AM, bullitt731 said:

I have some interest in this question as well if you don't mind. I just picked up a 2000 235SSI with Silent Choice and only one side will shut off.  :(

Off topic Bullitt731, but I signed Bullitt 0637 over to my son!

I just wanted to update this thread. 

I replaced all of the rubber connections, changed some clamps to the "T" style and replaced the riser gaskets (4).

All is well and there have been no issues.

I also really like my Hardin pump. It gives me Peace of mind about my cooling system.

Ray