Sign in to follow this  
botrdav

New Props

I just ordered a prop set from Hill Marine the Bravo 3 Four x 4 can't wait to try them out. Present set oem Merc set would not let me trim up to a 1/4 up without bumping the rev limiter.

My B3 does not like/need much positive trim either. Did you go with a different pitch?

brick

27 minutes ago, botrdav said:

I just ordered a prop set from Hill Marine the Bravo 3 Four x 4 can't wait to try them out. Present set oem Merc set would not let me trim up to a 1/4 up without bumping the rev limiter.

Yes, please tell us your current set up for pitch, max wot rpm, speeds, etc

i purchased a set of 4x4 for my 29' open bow with the 496. I only have a few hours on them but can describe the difference.

Original props were OEM 3x3, 26 pitch, forward prop cupped from factory. I ran about 4400 max RPM and ~48 mph. 3000 RPM was 30 MPH. Holeshot was fine, but not super strong. Averaged around 13.2 Gph at 30 mph cruise.

dropped to the 24P 4x4 props. The holeshot is much stronger and the boat lifts up on to plane quicker. Handling appears fine with no blowout in turns. I can reach 4600-4700 rpm now, but it appears the speed is reduced to 46 mph or so (gps). Mid range is now 3200 ish rpm for 30 mph, and fuel consumption went up to 14.2 Gph at 30 mph.

Based on these results,  does everyone think the 24P was the right choice, or would I be better off going back to a 26P? I was worried about the engine lugging with the 26P and expected the GPH fuel use to be reduced with the 24P. Is 4400 max RPM too low for the 496, or does it appear it was fine?

We have the 246SSI With the Merc 350 Mag 300 hp and Bravo 3 drive with the 4 / 3 prop set at 24 pitch. Top speed with 2 adults and a full tank is 50.8 on gps and 5000 to 5100 rpm. With a few conversations with Hill owner and son they suggest to stay with the 24 pitch. They state with the merc set the first prop makes too much bubbles which makes the back prop to slip too much and it loses push. If anyone is interested they have 10% off props until the 12th.