Sea water in aft storage on starboard side

I just purchased a 2007 310 Chaparral Signature a few weeks ago. When I took up the cushion from the starboard aft cabin it had a couple gallons of sea water. I emptied it and dried it up with a towel. Came back down this weekend (haven't run the boat or even started the engines) and it has the same amount in it again. This backs up to the bulkhead with a generator behind it. Has anyone ever had water in this area and found out the cause?

Capture.JPG

I too bought a 2007 310 Chaparral Signature a few weeks ago, May 5 to be exact.

I need to take a look that the area you mentioned. Did not know the cushions of the alf cabin could be removed.

Are you referring to these cushions ? 

Yes both sides come up but not the middle. The port seems to have a bin in it so it's 100% dry. This is where the cushions were stored that allows this area to turn into a bed.

I thought I could store other items that could get wet like things in plastic sealed containers but this is serious water. It appears that the depth is at sea level so if the boat sits lower there would be more water.

A couple of guys on here were getting water in their Sigs like that and it was rain water coming in at the rub rail where the upper and lower halves of the hull come together. It was cured by pulling the rub rail and re-sealing.

I have a 2005 270 Sig, so different boat.  I was getting water in aft cabin and it was coming from a blocked drain in the bow anchor locker -- and the water just flowed downhill and gathered in aft cabin.

14 hours ago, powah said:

I just purchased a 2007 310 Chaparral Signature a few weeks ago. When I took up the cushion from the starboard aft cabin it had a couple gallons of sea water. I emptied it and dried it up with a towel. Came back down this weekend (haven't run the boat or even started the engines) and it has the same amount in it again. This backs up to the bulkhead with a generator behind it. Has anyone ever had water in this area and found out the cause?

Capture.JPG

I'm just curious, but what is that hole at the end of that area to the right?  I looks like someone took a hammer and pounded a hole through it.  Sorry for the harsh description and don't mean to embarrass you or anything like that.  It just looks like damage to me.  Any idea?

Yes it's sea water I tasted it before when it filled up and when it filled up again. No worries on being harsh it's pretty ugly in there. It isn't a hole though it looks like the hoses for the AC run back through there and it is covered in some sort of plastic. I'm wondering if one of the hoses is carrying raw water back to cool the system and it is leaking somehow. This would be odd, however, since the system was not running while I was gone this past week. I've emptied again - 5 day countdown begins - how does one work when this is waiting for your return.

Oh ok, glad you weren't worried about it but really, that's not a hole?  Wow, very deceiving to me at least.  I was just curious about that not that you would get any leaking from there but I figured it served a purpose to run something through it.

This is what I see when I removed my starboard, alf cabin cushions.  i won't have water in mine. Even though mine is also a 2007 310, this storage area seems to look different to yours..  This pic shows the complete storage area, there is no "covered" area like there seems to be in yours.

Interesting wolfgang it does look the same. That gray piece I had to take out it was waterlogged. When I look down that area to the back I see a mess of hoses buried in plastic. Here is a better pic had a hard time uploading. JDiru the mid bilge area does have water in it but I didn't think it was an unusual amount - would you expect pretty dry? Not sure the two are connected.

leak3again.jpg

On 5/22/2016 at 6:11 PM, powah said:

It isn't a hole though it looks like the hoses for the AC run back through there and it is covered in some sort of plastic. I'm wondering if one of the hoses is carrying raw water back to cool the system and it is leaking somehow. This would be odd, however, since the system was not running while I was gone this past week. I've emptied again - 5 day countdown begins - how does one work when this is waiting for your return.

That's not a hole?  Are you sure?  It sure does seem like some kind of opening leading to the next bulkhead or whatever is after that which would explain why that plastic was put on there, possibly to cover it to a certain extent?

Don't put any holes in that plastic until you are sure what it is. It may be encasing foam for flotation. If it is, with water already in there you want that plastic intact or else you'll end up with water-logged foam.

Wolfgang i'm curious as to whether you have a mystery bag in the same area? I can feel behind this plastic there are hoses and yes hatem probably a hole on the other side where they go through bulkhead (thought you meant in the open). It does seem the plastic was adhered to the bottom and sides as if it was haphazardly painted into place so I don't want to touch it until i know its purpose. i may try and get a look from the other side but they don't make it easy to work down there. Haul and relaunch would be tough our season is short here in Mass. If i can pinpoint it to something like water in a cracked line from running the ac then at least i'll know it isn't life threatening and can fix when convenient. I don't see any diagrams for where all the lines run. There have to be 3 or 4 in there. 

Alf-cabin-Starboard-storage-3.jpg

What you see in the picture is the entire storage area under the starboard seats.  There is no cavity in to the left, the entire "floor" is seen in the pic.  The black on the right is a piece of felt, from what I remember. Both areas are bone dry,  Where I am in the DC area, we have had historical rains, breaking all kinds of records; so I know I don't the any problem with rain getting in.

Below is the Port side storage.  Again you are looking at the entire area, with no cavity to the right.  Also bone dry.

Alf-cabin-port-storage1.jpg

When you purchased your boat, did you get a survey done ?

Thanks wolfgang at least I know it is supposed to be dry. The area I'm seeing this in is behind that piece of felt in the corner compartment. I had to remove the carpet board because it was waterlogged.You probably have some sort of similar package back there because I think it has something to do with hoses running back to ac which I believe is standard on all of the 310s. I did get a survey and this was looked at and I looked into these areas myself during the sea trial. He also ran the ac and heat but I'm thinking that would have been for a very short time so if it is related it may not have shown up. 

The Sigs have many hard to get to or hidden voids manufactured into them.  BUT there should be no water leaking into the boat from anywhere.  There should be No water in the bilges, voids or compartments.  If there is you have a leak and all hoses, thruhull parts, rub rails, windshield gaskets, pumps, etc. should be checked.  

Alright I think you just solved your problem...you said the wood panel in front of hoses to the ac was waterlogged. I bet your ac cooling system is leaksing causing the water intrusion. That would explain your sea water leak! Clean it up and tighten the clamps on the ac peacock/water inlet and see what happens.