Sign in to follow this  
98Sig29

Priming water pump?

Hello all, i'm wondering if there is a way to prime my water pump? Previous owner ran the water tank dry. I've filled the tank and when i turn it on at the panel i can hear the pump working but its not pulling water.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There is a small filter between tank and pump, check to make sure that it is not clogged. With a tap open the pump should self prime. if it doesn't then the pump may need to be replaced.

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

There is a small filter between tank and pump, check to make sure that it is not clogged. With a tap open the pump should self prime. if it doesn't then the pump may need to be replaced.

Awesome. Thanks MPM!

Hello all, i detached the outgoing line from the pump and turned it on. Pumps working great. Appears my lime from pump to faucets is blocked. Any suggestions on cleaning out the line. My thought is to us a shop vac to suck the lines out.

I cant see it being blocked. its ether water or AF depending were you are. It could also be the aerator/screen on the tap from small pieces of junk.

Hey guys,  I cleaned the filter and replaced the freshwater pump and I'm still getting really low pressure out of the faucets. The transom shower has decent pressure but the faucets are barely a trickle.

thanks,

Ben

Hmm...both hot and cold water?  All faucets?  Trace the water line from the pump. Must be a distribution block somewhere after the tee to the transom shower and before the rest of the faucets.

7 hours ago, scubajohnsonben said:

Hmm...both hot and cold water?  All faucets?  Trace the water line from the pump. Must be a distribution block somewhere after the tee to the transom shower and before the rest of the faucets.

Yes sir. All faucets. Hot and cold trickles. Worried I may have to replace the lines.  $$$. 

11 hours ago, Iggy said:

Did you clean the screens/aerator on the faucets? 

Hey Iggy, yes. At the pump and all faucets. Tracung lines fouNd a missing clamp on my hot water heater. Hope when i get that fixed i can get the system to pressurize.

currently more worried about my freshwater tank leaking. Filled it last night while working and when i turned on the oump tonight it was sucking air and i had to refill.

i assume a leakig tank is a MAJOR problem.

thx.

So the pump is cycling on & off? Which would mean you have a leak/s. 

In the past I had problem with tank draining and it turned out to be the pump leaking. I think what caused the pump to leak was bleach damaged the seals.

On 7/8/2016 at 9:09 AM, mpm330 said:

In the past I had problem with tank draining and it turned out to be the pump leaking. I think what caused the pump to leak was bleach damaged the seals.

Hi MPM, I believe I may be having this problem as well.  Have filled up the talk each time I go out but we haven't been using any water.  I was out for 5 hours on Friday and the bilge never turned on though.  Don't know where the water is going!

On 7/8/2016 at 3:09 PM, mpm330 said:

+1, same thing happened to me.

To much bleach and to much soak time will eat up seals and rubber parts. If the pump is cycling the leak is in the system. If the pump is holding pressure the leak is in the tank.  When cleaning, Leave the system pressurized at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours. At the end of this soak time, the water system is again flushed until the bleach/water is gone. Be sure to run each faucet or outlet, starting with the one furthest from the pump. This process is safe for aluminum tanks as long as it is done for the suggested time and not more than once or twice a year.

On July 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Big Fun said:

To much bleach and to much soak time will eat up seals and rubber parts. If the pump is cycling the leak is in the system. If the pump is holding pressure the leak is in the tank.  When cleaning, Leave the system pressurized at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours. At the end of this soak time, the water system is again flushed until the bleach/water is gone. Be sure to run each faucet or outlet, starting with the one furthest from the pump. This process is safe for aluminum tanks as long as it is done for the suggested time and not more than once or twice a year.

•  

Awesome info. Thanks Big Fun!