mertzer

2012 xtreme 224 - WOT

49 posts in this topic

Anyone know the WOT rpm for the 5.0GXI DP on the 224 xtreme.

Late last year I chewed up the props (stainless) fairly well.  I think I only got out once after they were fixed, so I was just pleased to be wet again.  Yesterday I took a 30 mile cruise along the north shore of Ontario.  Lake was glass, so I played a bit.  I can only get 4500RPM and about 45mph fully trimmed.  I have only had her for two years - I do not ever recall getting more than 47 mph (all on GPS), but never looked at the RPM.  I would have thought the top end was more like 5000 RPM.

New props ($1500 or so I think) and then send the old one out for re-build and spares?

Still looking for any ideas.  I had the distributor and wiers done.  At the shop they say it got 4650.  Spec is 4600-5000

However, my power loss is getting worse.  I struggle to get past 4000 now.  Over the weekend, I had 5 adults and 7 children for a sunset cruise.  With that load, I could not plane.  Something is wrong.  No idea what to check next.

What props do you have now F4's - I can do about 50 mph, can't recall the RPM, I think it's about 4600 if I'm light, and trimmed.

In my eyes. 45 mph @ 4500 rpm is good in most boats.  If it carry a moderate load.

I would check each sparkplug for odd color or appearance. 2 cylinders next to each other being different in color than the others. Begin of a head gasket leak.

My shop has said a fouled bottom can easily remove 400 or 500 RPM.  That seems alot to me, but I will get a good clean and see.  Not sure of the prop size that came stock (maybe F4's - I'll need to do some digging).  Maybe bad fuel, but then it came that at the pump bad.  I have put 45 hours or so on this season, probably 4 or 5 full tanks I would guess.  I'll check the plugs next - thanks all!

My shop has said a fouled bottom can easily remove 400 or 500 RPM.  That seems alot to me, but I will get a good clean and see.  Not sure of the prop size that came stock (maybe F4's - I'll need to do some digging).  Maybe bad fuel, but then it came that at the pump bad.  I have put 45 hours or so on this season, probably 4 or 5 full tanks I would guess.  I'll check the plugs next - thanks all!

Your shop is right.  Before you spend big deer chasing a potential solution, go with the known. If your problem seems to be getting worse, but the engine seems to run well, then my first guess would be junk on the bottom. 

2017 Update:   This is getting very odd and now and becoming frustrated as #$^%,  At launch this season, hole shot was real bad and no top end.  Engine sounds fine, just no power.  Difficult to plane with a load of 5 people and struggled to hit 4000 RPM.   Back to the shop and they did plugs / wires and distributor again and also said oil was over filled (they did the last oil change).  Had bottom washed and waxed and out again yesterday.

Current status;  Hole shot still horrible - worse than ever - need my tabs to get on plane.  Top end was a bit better - hit 4500rpm and 45MPH.  No idea what to do next.  I doubt I could pull a wake boarder out of the water on my wake boat!    I am thinking props?  This all started when I folded my props over in 2015.  If they were pitched wrong, will i lose hole shot and top end?  New stainless props are a very expensive experiment, but out of ideas.  Any thoughts??

21 hours ago, crvtt771 said:

I'd have a compression check done before you start chasing $1500 props.

Was just going to say it sounds like you need a compression check done. 

Different marina & mechanics...........They are bleeding you dry.

I could retard the base timing on lots of boats & the marina owners would make ME a part owner for my money generated.

Great lakes Marinas ARE STARVING   !!   Some will go out of business if do not rack up huge parts from each boat owner................Fact

On 7/22/2017 at 11:31 AM, mertzer said:

2017 Update:   This is getting very odd and now and becoming frustrated as #$^%,  At launch this season, hole shot was real bad and no top end.  Engine sounds fine, just no power.  Difficult to plane with a load of 5 people and struggled to hit 4000 RPM.   Back to the shop and they did plugs / wires and distributor again and also said oil was over filled (they did the last oil change).  Had bottom washed and waxed and out again yesterday.

Current status;  Hole shot still horrible - worse than ever - need my tabs to get on plane.  Top end was a bit better - hit 4500rpm and 45MPH.  No idea what to do next.  I doubt I could pull a wake boarder out of the water on my wake boat!    I am thinking props?  This all started when I folded my props over in 2015.  If they were pitched wrong, will i lose hole shot and top end?  New stainless props are a very expensive experiment, but out of ideas.  Any thoughts??

Better hole shot=lost top end. More top end= worse hole shot. 

Unfortunately there are so many issues I've seen cause power loss you really have to rely on your mechanics. If they aren't correcting the issue try new mechanics. 

If it feels like you are doing a burnout when you launch.  Re prop it. 

On 7/23/2017 at 1:53 PM, JetBoatDave said:

Better hole shot=lost top end. More top end= worse hole shot. 

Unfortunately there are so many issues I've seen cause power loss you really have to rely on your mechanics. If they aren't correcting the issue try new mechanics. 

If it feels like you are doing a burnout when you launch.  Re prop it. 

Dave - That is what I have always thought - since I have neither hole shot or top end, Props seem like the wrong place to start.  I am having a fuel flow test tomorrow and will go from there - This really sucks.  I bought a new boat to avoid just this!!   First world problems I guess!

All,

Thanks for the help so far.   My new info is:

Yes - they are "Repaired" F4 props (I folded them two seasons ago)

New plugs and wires

Fuel is new / and fuel pressure is a constant 60psi

Last night she ran way better - slow out of the hole still but managed to reach 45mph and 4500RPM.  Still a bit sluggish IMHO.  Chap has said that engine should hit 5000RPM.  since the problem seems to vary a bit, I think ruling out compression makes sense (yes?).  Also, props do not seem like the root as the problem seems to vary a bit over time.  Plus, I seem low on power at both hole shots and top end, so it seems more a power issue than a prop issue (yea??)

So I am now wondering about an o2 sensor and a mix issue or maybe plugged injectors?   Would love any other ideas.  I am so glad I have two boats - I am starting to spend so much time fishing, I dont have time to fix the wake boat! 

Well if you did the tune up items already and hull is clean, that would lead me to look at compression test, scan tool on the computer, and or check the fuel pressure on the lines.  Like others 1500 dollar props aren't the issue.  4500rpm and 45mph isn't to far off base really,  might just be how that boat works.

Another idea is maybe run some super premium fuel with seafoam and run it hard.

7 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

Well if you did the tune up items already and hull is clean, that would lead me to look at compression test, scan tool on the computer, and or check the fuel pressure on the lines.  Like others 1500 dollar props aren't the issue.  4500rpm and 45mph isn't to far off base really,  might just be how that boat works.

Another idea is maybe run some super premium fuel with seafoam and run it hard.

Thanks - Hull was just done and waxed.  Given it was terrible on Friday, and yesterday was way better, I was thinking compression is unlikely - I am thinking maybe an injector, or air fuel mix issue.  I will pour some sea foam through her next - cant hurt.  Not sure it really cleans injectors, but worth a try

5 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

also gps verify the speed.  whats your load,  loaded down boat with people and equipment. 

All I have is GPS speed - Both units read the same (zero-off and the sonar).  Friday was 4 adults and a full tank of gas and she would not plane.  yesterday, with 3/4 tank and two people, it ran much better.  

10 minutes ago, mertzer said:

Thanks - Hull was just done and waxed.  Given it was terrible on Friday, and yesterday was way better, I was thinking compression is unlikely - I am thinking maybe an injector, or air fuel mix issue.  I will pour some sea foam through her next - cant hurt.  Not sure it really cleans injectors, but worth a try

Wouldn't rule out compression with fuel injection.  The computer can mask many problems, making an engine down a cylinder or two act like normal.  To be honest with your numbers and so forth, I don't think there is an issue and you just have to get used to the boat.  Clean premium fuel sea foam run it and start collecting data that has a timeline and makes sense.