mertzer

2012 xtreme 224 - WOT

41 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

Wouldn't rule out compression with fuel injection.  The computer can mask many problems, making an engine down a cylinder or two act like normal.  To be honest with your numbers and so forth, I don't think there is an issue and you just have to get used to the boat.  Clean premium fuel sea foam run it and start collecting data that has a timeline and makes sense.

I will check compression - There is a problem for sure.  Friday it would not even plan with 4 people.  Not much of a wake boat!  However, the problem seems to come and go a bit - but she is always lacking a bit of power.  I have had her since new (165hrs ago / 3 season).  It used to jump out of the hole and now it is a dog. So I am used to the boat - just no so in love with it any longer.  

Slowly dieing HIGH VOLTAGE ignition system. Plugs should look blackish in side. Have you checked each sparkplug ?  Choke is sticking on too long.  F I has a choke system.

A 2012 boat is not new if owned for 3 seasons. Folded Props could be pitched to anything. Very unreliable props Did you  even get your props back ? How would you know ?

We etch our names into all props. It P Os the prop shop with their new help. New. But smart enough to mix very similar looking props.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:40 PM, cyclops2 said:

A 2012 boat is not new if owned for 3 seasons. Folded Props could be pitched to anything. Very unreliable props Did you  even get your props back ? How would you know ?

We etch our names into all props. It P Os the prop shop with their new help. New. But smart enough to mix very similar looking props.

Agree - thanks - however, Props can not give me a "variable" problem nor rob power from the hole shot as well as the top end can they?  if I had a pitch issue, I would think I shoot out of the hole and over rev, or have a poor hole shot and a high top end speed?

1 hour ago, mertzer said:

Agree - thanks - however, Props can not give me a "variable" problem nor rob power from the hole shot as well as the top end can they?  if I had a pitch issue, I would think I shoot out of the hole and over rev, or have a poor hole shot and a high top end speed?

props may give you different characteristics at different bands such as hole shot, top end etc.  But the same prop given same load etc, will not act differently at the same speed and different rpm at different times. 

I think you have a problem that you already identified, but hasn't been resolved.  Your props have been folded, and then straightened by you?  If they are off, then that is your "traction" to the water.  It is possible to have them inefficient , and effect both top end and hole shot.  I have certainly folded my props, and straightened them to finish the season until I could get them don't professionally.  I have noticed a difference in performance whenever I did so.  My suggestion? Before you do anything too drastic, get your props put back into factory shape. 

It kind of sounds a little like your boat is underpowered for you expectations.  I only say that because you mentioned that when you had less weight, you were happier with the performance.  What props do you have?  In my case, I could really use one step down as we are at altitude here, and it makes a difference on how much HP you have (I have F5's and would like F4's, but that is an expensive pill to swallow!)

I would check to see how long to get the props professionally repaired.  You have already checked fuel pressure, changed the wiring and plugs and hit the obvious stuff. How often do you hear of an injector going?

I'd be willing to bet it has F4 or the later helical cut FH4 props on the boat. Several things I'd do seeing you have cleaned the hull already:

1. Have a compression test done; critical you're catch a misfire event happening between cylinders 3 and 5 on the HVS (a POS) igintion system. If you are having this, will cause those 2 cylinders to become washed out from unburned fuel. In such an event, typically a new long block is required...

2. If compression is good, borrow a set of F3 or FH3 props and test run. Have seen lots of times where the stock props Chaparral use won't allow the engine to reach top RPM with a heavy load.

3. Run the engine off a 6 gallon outboard tank with fresh fuel. Won't be able to go very far for that water test! Critical to eliminate possible problems with anti-siphon valve, etc. Might require 2 tanks of shop tank fuel for testing. 

4. Have the shop verify engine timing 100%. See 2nd page of the following MerCruiser service bulletin to see if moving the distributor 1-2 degrees helps.

http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/distributors/mercurymarine/sterndrive/gmefi-nostart.PDF

5. Check the electrical connectors for the fuel pumps. 

Bingo on Shepherd  2.

My virgin WOT 51 mph prop by myself would blow out instantly if floored or people were added. Could only do 2000 rpm with 6   + 220 pounders on board no way to get up on plane.  It would simply slip completely. Not enough prop area / pitch to load the prop at all speeds & loads.

Over propped in area or pitch is not able to reach WOT rpms with a full load of people......Common problem.

There are very few fast heavily loaded boats.  At any price.

Props KILL MOST boats.

7 hours ago, tolson37 said:

just out of curiosity can you give the spec's on your prop?

They are F4's - do not know the specs other than I am out around 1500 deer if I get new ones.  May try some F3's and see what happens

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

Bingo on Shepherd  2.

My virgin WOT 51 mph prop by myself would blow out instantly if floored or people were added. Could only do 2000 rpm with 6   + 220 pounders on board no way to get up on plane.  It would simply slip completely. Not enough prop area / pitch to load the prop at all speeds & loads.

Over propped in area or pitch is not able to reach WOT rpms with a full load of people......Common problem.

There are very few fast heavily loaded boats.  At any price.

Props KILL MOST boats.

Cyclops,

Would you think trying F3's is I can find some to borrow is worth a shot?

21 hours ago, mertzer said:

Cyclops,

Would you think trying F3's is I can find some to borrow is worth a shot?

Meaning no offense sir, but I highly recommend having the other items checked out too.Trying an F3/FH3 prop set, and forgot to mention you should time the props seeing your boat is equipped with a hull pad.

If you have a fuel or ignition problem, sooner rather than later is the time to act.

t5i35g4va2it.jpeg

Sounds like you're convinced it's the props.  I think you need to put the props on to get that out of your system.

Do Shepherd1  

Borrow & test with  F3 or the FH3 props A compression test & looking at each sparkplug will tell you a lot about the engine condition.

If boat ran fine on F4's before, try a new set of F4's. But I suspect the problem is elsewhere, as the OP states the problem comes and goes. If it was the props, I would expect consistent performance issues. 

Is your boat full of water?

brick