Sign in to follow this  
acarter937

Gas Smell Kohler 5E

Guys,

My generator  was just serviced by the deal during my recent purchase . It starts and runs really well both under load and during my weekly test. Here is the issue, After the unit runs for a while and i turn it off, i smell gas. (i do leave the blowers on for 10 min) So i removed the sound shield and the found a bit of gas on the bottom of the carb as if it over flowed. Any thoughts??

I wouldn't run it that's for sure until its fixed.  for now check the gas line coming in make sure its on tight.  If its not that than more than likely something is leaking on the carb and it will have to be pulled apart. But it could be a needle is set to loose and leaking too.  Any small engine guy could probably come take a quick look.

Each time you stop it ? the heavy fumes are sliding to all the low spaces & filling them up. Is it possible for them to reach a bow space ? Undetected ?  Luck only lasts for so long.

I am trying to scare you. Important.

You are at risk of blowing yourself up. Seek qualified help. Don't use the boat until corrected.

brick

Did we ever find a culprit here?  I ran the genny for 4-5hrs yesterday and it ran great.  Smelled gas in the cabin after shutdown also, with the AC running (had just got home and hooked up to shore power).  Engine room didn't smell like gas. and  I pulled the sound shield and didn't really smell gas, it actually seemed stronger in the cabin, like the AC picked up the scent or something.   Didn't smell bad in the mid cabin, under the steps (where the sump is), or in the head......

Mine was a gasket or maybe it was not tight enough. Look at the diagram and see part #9. I purchased the rebuild kit and did them all

I'll look at that more closely.  I poked and smelled the gen after running it for over an hour and found set gas dripping, and not really any strong smell at all.  Which now makes me wonder if it's coming from the engines on shutdown and not the gen.  It seems to happen after shutting down motors/gen, with the AC running.  I wonder where the AC is picking up the scent.

Mine was not present every time. It was strong after running the Gen a short time. But i never smelled it unless i ran the Gen. I assume my AC picked up the gas smell from the aft birth where the Gen sits just outside the wall.

If you are getting fumes from the bilge into your aft cabin I would look for and seal up any openings in that fire wall. That should not be happening.

2 hours ago, Phillbo said:

If you are getting fumes from the bilge into your aft cabin I would look for and seal up any openings in that fire wall. That should not be happening.

Funny thing bout that.  The last sniff test I did......nothing in mid cabin berth (closest to engine room/gen), nothing in head, nothing under steps where sump is......it seemed like it was coming straight from the AC vent which is part of our galley.