Here are a few pics of construction and the final product of the new 4-post gear drive lift.  Put the boat on it last night.  i am looking for advice / opinions on how to adjust the bunks.  not "how to"  i can manage that but rather the placement of the bunks  (do i need to add bunks, on what chine should the bunks go, etc)

Pay no attention to the scum on the bottom - that will be gone by this weekend after I give her the full scrub down treatment:wub:

IMG_1679_1.jpgIMG_1681.jpgIMG_1688.jpgIMG_1687.jpg

What are the bunks made of?   I have 6x6 beams.....and you can only go so wide without the v-hull hitting the I-beam.   Yours look about the same distance apart as mine. 

I like your lift better than my garage...

Nice. 

brick

Bunks are 2 x 12's x 12' long.  i don't know if i can go much wider as the keel is about 2-3" above the cradle.  it just appears like the entire boat is resting on 1'-0" from the center of the keel - seems like there should be add'l bunks or something!

My Sig 270 is tired on a lift like yours.  The bunks meet my hull in about the same place as yours.  As flyboycj84 mentioned, if the bunks are much wider the v-hull will hit the cross beam.

Does the lift manufacturer provide any installation guidance?

brick

I believe I set mine so my keel would sit 1-2" above the I beam.  Yes, it does look odd, but it's perfectly stable.  I trimmed the lengthwise edge of the beam to the same angle of the hull and put some of that black dock edge stuff on it. 

Mine also had 2 X 4 boards on the beams that the keel sat on.  The bunks were 4 X 4 boards on top of I beams and the distance was 5' between them.  There was a mark on the pile and a stripe on the boat so it could be lined up the same ever time.  She went through a hurricane without tipping over.  There was also a walking board on the outside for boat cleaning.

60A7E999-DAE7-442E-96A3-2919A6E39DF5_zps

So your boat is a lot larger than my 220 and so you may not even own a trailer.  I just had my boat lift adjusted to fit my 220 from my previous smaller chap as I had only recently purchased the lift anticipating a larger boat so bought a heavier capacity version.  The marina that does this stuff around my lake measured the trailer bunks and locations and matched them on the lift.  The boat lift manual also has instructions and for example the placement on Big Fun's lift is the diagram with the slash through it as according to the lift manual, you would want the bunks to be as wide as possible according to the lift manufacturer.  I've seen the lifts done all ways and honestly Big Fun's set up looks to me like what most are doing.  The marina installers from whom I originally purchsed the lift and who sets them up daily seemed to disagree with the manual's bunk placement guide.  

My last lift which was 3 weeks old which is the same lift as I have know had the smaller chap set kind of narrow and it blew over in a storm with the boat on it destroying the lift and totalling the boat along with other major damage.  Not sure anything could have survived the storm though.  

yours look close to mine.  To move out would require extensions.  I have mine apart as far as possible without hitting both the I beam or the AC intake. I questioned the same concerns with the lift company and they said it was fine.  It has been fine now for 3 seasons.  16,000 lb aluminum golden lift here.