Cajun183

Does your boat throw a rooster tail?

22 hours ago, SNiC said:

Does you boat throw a rooster tail?  Not from my Chaparral, but YES regarding my Crusader!

Sorry guys, I could not resist this thread's title ... :-)

DSCN0370-1.jpg

4smithlake5.jpg

I'm really not trying to be an a$$, but I have to ask the question. I see boats like yours on our lake from time to time. Typically it's a guy by himself, or a guy with a girl (or three) hanging on for dear life as they bounce down the lake, going partially deaf from the noise.  So, what's the point?? I'm really curious!

12 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Same as people that drive fast cars. People like speed.

BINGO! It is like a Hot Rod...... With 550 HP, I can go from 62 to 16 in just under 5 seconds. (Age not MPH) ....And as for the girls...... just an added bonus!

44 minutes ago, newboat2016 said:

I'm really not trying to be an a$$, but I have to ask the question. I see boats like yours on our lake from time to time. Typically it's a guy by himself, or a guy with a girl (or three) hanging on for dear life as they bounce down the lake, going partially deaf from the noise.  So, what's the point?? I'm really curious!

Different strokes for different folks.  You like to cruise, he likes to go fast.  I like to go fast and I think that looks like great fun!

4 minutes ago, crvtt771 said:

Different strokes for different folks.  You like to cruise, he likes to go fast.  I like to go fast and I think that looks like great fun!

I actually like the best of both worlds, thus the Sunesta 250 for the family...

32 minutes ago, SNiC said:

................., I can go from 62 to 16 in just under 5 seconds. (Age not MPH)

Ahhhh..... That explains why it doesn't make sense to me. People tell me I never act my age anyway  so I'm typically closer to 16 than I am to 58  (my real age).  I do enjoy speed but tend to do it on land.

Enjoy the speed on the water! :beer-7687-1:

I'll be the guy in the cove floating behind my boat  with my lady, with a cigar in one hand and a cocktail in the other! 

6 minutes ago, newboat2016 said:

Ahhhh..... That explains why it doesn't make sense to me. People tell me I never act my age anyway  so I'm typically closer to 16 than I am to 58  (my real age).  I do enjoy speed but tend to do it on land.

Enjoy the speed on the water! :beer-7687-1:

I'll be the guy in the cove floating behind my boat  with my lady, with a cigar in one hand and a cocktail in the other! 

:beer-7687-1:  I hope I never grow up.......and a definite YES, Ladies, Cocktails and Cigars.... Enjoy!

1 hour ago, newboat2016 said:

I'm a cruiser so that's more my speed as well when on the lake but when I feel the need for speed I get it at about 13000'. If you want to swim, you have to get out of the boat. If you want to fly, you have to get out of the plane. Terminal Velocity is fast enough for me.

1 minute ago, Phillbo said:

I'm a cruiser so that's more my speed as well when on the lake but when I feel the need for speed I get it at about 13000'. If you want to swim, you have to get out of the boat. If you want to fly, you have to get out of the plane. Terminal Velocity is fast enough for me.

"That's not flying. That's falling with style!"

32 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Now we're talking!  My skydiving log book shows 277 jumps. It's been awhile, but I still miss it!

No rooster here either.  

A not so funny story about jet boats though - they can be tricky to operate if you're not careful.  My nephew purchased a jet boat and was a new boater on Lake Havasu.  He gunned it creating a good size wave and then pulled back on the gas significantly - the wave he created came over the back of the boat, flooded the boat and sank the boat.  He didn't get hurt but it was an expensive lesson.

I don't get a rooster tail but I do get a little tiny rooster tailish splash from under the swim platform.  I think its from the speedometer pick up that is attached on the starboard side of the transom...

5 minutes ago, DOG BOsSS said:

I don't get a rooster tail but I do get a little tiny rooster tailish splash from under the swim platform.  I think its from the speedometer pick up that is attached on the starboard side of the transom...

That's what I thought mine was too but the little tail I see is directly in the center of the transom above the out drive. It reminds me of the Yamaha jet ski water pump tails. It doesn't change when I trim up or down so I'm not sure where it's coming from. 

I had that piece stick in the up position and the little tail was not there when that happened and of course no speed on the speedometer.  So of course it has to be that piece...

1 hour ago, COEBRA said:

That's what I thought mine was too but the little tail I see is directly in the center of the transom above the out drive. It reminds me of the Yamaha jet ski water pump tails. It doesn't change when I trim up or down so I'm not sure where it's coming from. 

Is it possible you have a drive shower installed and it has been bent? Can you post a picture of this 'little tail' ?

2 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Is it possible you have a drive shower installed and it has been bent? Can you post a picture of this 'little tail' ?

Not unless those came factory on the Penta out drive. I need to have someone run the helm while I'm back there to see where it's originating from. 

On June 12, 2016 at 0:14 PM, SNiC said:

Does you boat throw a rooster tail?  Not from my Chaparral, but YES regarding my Crusader!

Sorry guys, I could not resist this thread's title ... :-)

DSCN0370-1.jpg

4smithlake5.jpg

That's just bada$$! I've heard of guys here shooting tails up on a bridge into traffic..

And no rooster tail on my 230SSI, Doesn't seem like I need to get the trim that far up plus, I don't think the bravos can do that anyway? 

Rooster tail very common on bassboats and high performance boats where the motors are mounted a bit higher. What happens when trimmed out too high one blade will leave water then slap the water and cause the tail in turn you usually lose top end speed but it looks cool. 

That's exactly what mine looks like. Just a little spritz of water. I tried to get back there this past weekend while at the lake but I couldn't see what in the world was causing it. It doesn't seem to effect the trim and isn't big enough so splash the skiers and tubers so I'm not terribly concerned about mine anymore. Would like to know why it does it too though! :)