SST

Blower hose replacement

While looking for rain water leaks on my boat, I discovered that I have two blowers side by side. One has the blower hose connect up to the vent grate. The other has no hose on it. Interesting find as all this time I've been recirculating compartment air.

I pulled a broken piece out and set it on the dock. Of course the wind redirected it into the water and it sunk. I tried to get a measurement off of the existing infrastructure but it is not accurate due to positioning.  Maybe 3.5inches?  I've looked online and I didn't find anything that clearly says this is the correct replacement.

So, here I am looking for advice. I have a spare dryer hose but that's 4".  It has to fit into the hole on the vent grate. I haven't pulled that out but I guess I might have to do that.  Just don't want to drop it. It's a long way to the bottom.

I think blowers are available in 3 inch or 4 inch sizes. My 220 has 4 inchers. 

brick

^^^^ That is correct. The inlines are "usually" 3" (4" are available) and the squirrel cage blowers are usually 4".

Eaxample: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-industries--waterproof-in-line-blowers--P012_362_001_002

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--hose-vent-for-turbo-in-line-exhaust-blower--P014018915

Mine are a pair of 3" inline high volume blowers. I got some really high quality, heavy wall 3" flame retardant dryer hose with S/S wire in it. Been on there for 5 years now with no sign of falling apart.

Can't remember where I got the hose, though, but it was at some industrial supply house..

17 hours ago, SST said:

While looking for rain water leaks on my boat, I discovered that I have two blowers side by side. One has the blower hose connect up to the vent grate. The other has no hose on it. Interesting find as all this time I've been recirculating compartment air.

I know this isn't answering your question, but you likely haven't been recirculating compartment air.  The blower blows air out the hose.  The air in the compartment is replaced by air from the vents on the other side of the compartment, thus making the blower act more as "a sucker".  The blower without a hose is at least circulating any low lying fumes and making it easier for the working blower to evacuate in my opinion.  But you're correct that for optimum performance (as well as redundancy), two blowers are better than one.

I noticed that the two hoses tied to the blowers on my 255 were torn and barely hanging onto the vents. Search any online marine store for ventilation hose (comes in 3 and 4" sizes).  I replaced mine with Shields brand which is built way better than the original hose - At least 2X the metal ribbing.  I reused the original zip ties at the fan end, and it clipped right into the plastic trim vents. The hose doesn't match the rest of the vent hose, but I figure I will replace the rest of it next year.

I just peaked at West Marine and the ventilation hose is far different than what's in my boat currently. The vent grates have no flanges on them so no way to clamp then. Under the current set up, the hose is stuffed into the grate hole and the wire holds it in place. I think I will pull the vent and take it with me to West Marine and see what they have.

Thanks for everybody's input.

3 minutes ago, SST said:

I just peaked at West Marine and the ventilation hose is far different than what's in my boat currently. The vent grates have no flanges on them so no way to clamp then. Under the current set up, the hose is stuffed into the grate hole and the wire holds it in place. I think I will pull the vent and take it with me to West Marine and see what they have.

Thanks for everybody's input.

That sounds like what I have.  Here is the replacement hose I got: http://www.iboats.com/Extra-Heavy-Duty-Vinylvent-Hose-Series-420-Shields/dm/cart_id.386085620--session_id.668726325--view_id.1183479  

And here is the air vent covers I have: http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/air-vent-3-vent-high-polished-81932ss-h/  You can't see the bottom, but essentially there are some clips that the wire in the hose fits around, and those in conjunction with the clips that hold the vent into the hole hold the hose on. 

This is what my vents look like. There are two holes in each vent. The forward vent has no hoses attached. The reward vent has two hoses attached. On this side of the boat, the forward vent just blows air into the side of the boat. The reward vent has two hoses that go down into the engine compartment.

On the other side [port] two vents with no hoses just pulls air out of the side of the boat while the other two are from the blower.

IMG_01291_zpsf6f01d56.jpg