Max S.

Hello there!

Hi folks,

We just bought our first boat and I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. I've been wanting a boat for 30+ years, so it's a happy day.  

The toy is a 2006 210 SSi with a Volvo Penta 5.0L V6 and a new gelcoat. We will be using her primary at Lake Tahoe, CA (6200' elevation) as well as other Sierras lakes. My crew includes my better half and a junior crew of 8 and 3 years old. Here they are on the maiden voyage on Donner Lake. 

ben_lexi_on_boat_maiden_voyage.jpg 

Experience-wise, I've rented runabouts at Tahoe over the years and have done some sailing on the SF Bay (skippered 30'+ Bennetau, Jenneau, etc). So I'm not totally new to boats, but first time boat owner. (Though I have owned an airplane in the past, and will again in the future.) I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch of question. Here's the first one - why "deer" when in reference to dollars?

Best,

Max

"deer" is the term we use to get around the forum rules prohibiting the sharing of costs.

Deer=safe post

$$= 50/50 your post gets deleted 

12 minutes ago, dn0349 said:

"deer" is the term we use to get around the forum rules prohibiting the sharing of costs.

Deer=safe post

Yup. If you read the rules of service, no buying/selling or discussing $$$'s. But deer are OK...

So, welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new boat!

brick

dollars = deer. makes sense. 

Another question about filling up. Is it OK to use auto gas from a normal gas station? If so, regular octane (87)? 

And - how do I know when to stop fueling. Unlike normal auto gas tanks, there is no way to attach the fuel hose and have it auto-stop. I don't want to accidentally overfill and spill over.

Thx,

Max

II prefer auto gas as you call it because a high volume retail chin has a huge turn-over and there is much less of a risk of moisture infiltration and a non-marine based location. The ethanol is problematic so I always treat with Stabil Marine 360, as non-ethanol fuel availability is very limited here in Maryland. Area trailer boater here have virtually zero fuel issues but we do see some problems in the spring with larger boats refueled at the smaller Mon and Pop marinas.   W

On 6/22/2016 at 8:16 AM, dn0349 said:

Deer=safe post

I never knew this.  Interesting!

On 6/22/2016 at 4:47 AM, Max S. said:

Hi folks,

We just bought our first boat and I'd like to introduce myself to the forum. I've been wanting a boat for 30+ years, so it's a happy day.  

The toy is a 2006 210 SSi with a Volvo Penta 5.0L V6 and a new gelcoat. We will be using her primary at Lake Tahoe, CA (6200' elevation) as well as other Sierras lakes. My crew includes my better half and a junior crew of 8 and 3 years old. Here they are on the maiden voyage on Donner Lake. 

ben_lexi_on_boat_maiden_voyage.jpg 

Experience-wise, I've rented runabouts at Tahoe over the years and have done some sailing on the SF Bay (skippered 30'+ Bennetau, Jenneau, etc). So I'm not totally new to boats, but first time boat owner. (Though I have owned an airplane in the past, and will again in the future.) I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch of question. Here's the first one - why "deer" when in reference to dollars?

Best,

Max

Very nice.  I love the way the older SSi's windshield flowed into the rest of the boat.  I'm not quite sure they changed the rear of the SSi to be more squared off after the windshield on the newer models.  Yours has a smoother more sporty appearance.

Nice boat!

I used to live in SanJose and liked to go to Don Pedro, Lake Tulloch, Lake Shasta, even the Sac Delta.   Never made it up to Tahoe (bet pulling the boat at elevation is no fun).  

Boat looks great, this forum is great group of people.

Welcome

14 hours ago, Max S. said:

dollars = deer. makes sense. 

Another question about filling up. Is it OK to use auto gas from a normal gas station? If so, regular octane (87)? 

And - how do I know when to stop fueling. Unlike normal auto gas tanks, there is no way to attach the fuel hose and have it auto-stop. I don't want to accidentally overfill and spill over.

Thx,

Max

Max-

Congrats on the boat and welcome to the forum!

You'll find lots of info about the "problems" associated with "normal gas station" gas. Most are myths.  Most land based  gas stations sell gasoline that is includes 10% ethanol, which is where those problems stem from. When E10 gas was first introduced it was incompatible with some older fuel systems and did cause breakdowns in fuel hoses, tanks, etc. This applied to boats much older than yours.  Some will say that gas with ethanol can collect water from the atmosphere, etc.  Many marinas sell ethanol free fuel which can eliminate some of these problems (or give peace of mind), but as Wingnut said in his earlier post, it's better to get fresh gas from a land based gas station than to get "old" gas from a marina that doesn't sell much and is more likely to have water in it.

Here's a couple of articles about ethanol fuel.

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Busting-Ethanol-Fuel-Myths

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp

With respect to when to stop fuel filling,  you should be able to stick the nozzle into the boat just like you would in your car. You'll find a tighter fit than your car, but it still should go in far enough to be able to  auto stop. You may have to play with the angle you are inserting the nozzle.

My Mercuiser manual suggests using  89 octane, that way I will be guaranteed 87, so I do. And I use Star Tron all season.   Denny.

Congrats on the new boat Max. BTW, if you have the 5.0 engine, you have a V8, not a V6.