myers368

Generator not spitting water

I have a chaparral 320 signature.  Kohler generator.  It's kicks on, but yesterday it stopped spitting out water from the boat and it won't stay on.  I took off cover and impeller looks completely fine.  Can't get anyone out to service it for a few weeks.  Any other thoughts of what I should be checking?  I'm not mechanic, but thinking this could be a simple issue.  

There should be a raw water strainer on the intake line. Find it and clean it. If the water pump drive belt is in place, and the pump turns when you crank the engine then the thing should pump. Sounds like a blockage of some kind. Could be something as simple as a trash bag covering the suction strainer on the boat bottom. No mechanic needed here, just work backwards. Pull the suction hose off the pump and place a garden hoes into the hose end. That will flush the suction back out into the sea. When you remove the hose from the pump, you will get a little sea water flow into the bilge but nothing to write home about. If you get no water at all then you are defiantly on to something.  W

In the photo below you can see two raw water strainers, one for the generator and one for the marine AC unit. (center/bottom)

35D5DCB5-5B07-4106-9CD5-155929FA4DA6.jpg

15 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

In the photo below you can see two raw water strainers, one for the generator and one for the marine AC unit. (center/bottom)

35D5DCB5-5B07-4106-9CD5-155929FA4DA6.jpg

Nice pic!!!  Haha.  

Did you get w solid stream of water into the boat when you checked the strainer? We need to confirm clear passage to the pump first, and if it's there we will then proceed to check the pump itself.  W

11 hours ago, flyboycj84 said:

Nice pic!!!  Haha.  

Ha. If you could polish the covers up they would be easier to spot.

3 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Ha. If you could polish the covers up they would be easier to spot.

No kidding, right!?!?  

Check the "sleeve" behind the water pump, this drives the impeller. Test it easily with cover off impeller and turn generator over without starting, observe the impeller and if it not spinning the sleeve is bad. Remove the two hoses and slide the pump out of the way. Two allen screws removes the drive and the sleeve behind it.

Download the manual from Kohler

It is a hard plastic sleeve/coupling.  If you can spin the impeller shaft, then the coupling is gone.  You will find it laying in the bottom when you remove the outer cover.  $13 + shipping and 15 mins.  

Bennett

polish the covers? don't give him ideas!

hey maybe they make chromed aftermarket covers

9 hours ago, Satisfaxtion said:

Check the "sleeve" behind the water pump, this drives the impeller. Test it easily with cover off impeller and turn generator over without starting, observe the impeller and if it not spinning the sleeve is bad. Remove the two hoses and slide the pump out of the way. Two allen screws removes the drive and the sleeve behind it.

Download the manual from Kohler

He has the manual, and it sure sounds like that may be his issue.

7 hours ago, jeffk said:

polish the covers? don't give him ideas!

hey maybe they make chromed aftermarket covers

A man has to know his limitations (Dirty Harry). Better still when he doesn't have any. Remember when the hot rod crowd were chrome plating their driveshafts? Then they started snapping them in half due to hydrogen embrittlement as the surface chrome was too dense to allow the free exchange of hydrogen molecules through the steel surface. Now the pro-stockers use aluminum, and I just saw one that was highly polished. It's a guy thing.   W

I had a similar problem with my Kohler 5E. I took off the raw water pump cover and bumped the generator starter motor and the pump impeller did not turn.  The problem was a broken impeller drive sleeve.  It is Kohler part number 359448, costs 30 and is very easy to replace.  As others have stated, the drive sleeve is a plastic or hard rubber connector between the generator engine crank shaft and the raw water impeller drive shaft.  I understand the early versions of this drive sleeve were made from plastic which becomes brittle over time and cracks. The new version is made from a hard rubber material and therefore less likely to get brittle from heat cycling.