Engine sensor alarms

Scratching my head.  After about 20 mins the "starboard engine sensor" and "Port engine sensor" alarms start going off.  Boat is running great, the mechanic hooked up his computer to it and nothing shows up.  Thoughts?

12 hours ago, JDubs1 said:

Scratching my head.  After about 20 mins the "starboard engine sensor" and "Port engine sensor" alarms start going off.  Boat is running great, the mechanic hooked up his computer to it and nothing shows up.  Thoughts?

What engines, make, year, HP.   Is alarm steady, constant beep, or beep every minute.  We need to know in order to help as there are so many possibilities.  W

Check with your dealer as there is an issue with O2 sensors. An engine sensor alarm that is not identified specifically by the Smart Craft screen is usually the trim position sender. Many times a boat yard will damage them by being way too aggressive with a pressure washer. How did you end up with the 8.1/496 in a 2013? I would have thought you could have only gotten the 8.2/502 Merc Built hybrid. 

So I had the same thing w my 496 mag where the mechanics at the Chap dealer could not find an issue. This year I am back at my trusted marina w competent mechanics and what the found was it was a water temp sensor in the trim unit. The report I got indicated that the alarm had gone off 600+ times......

23 minutes ago, ColdOne said:

So I had the same thing w my 496 mag where the mechanics at the Chap dealer could not find an issue. This year I am back at my trusted marina w competent mechanics and what the found was it was a water temp sensor in the trim unit. The report I got indicated that the alarm had gone off 600+ times......

Yea, I'm confused that there is no alarm fault stored in his histogram on a 2013. Of course I've never heard of a water temperature sensor in a trim unit either. Oh well...W

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Yea, I'm confused that there is no alarm fault stored in his histogram on a 2013. Of course I've never heard of a water temperature sensor in a trim unit either. Oh well...W

Neither had I and they told me it was no big deal and I didn't have to replace it but the alarm was driving me crazy so 250 deer later no more alarm and I'm happy.

26 minutes ago, ColdOne said:

Neither had I and they told me it was no big deal and I didn't have to replace it but the alarm was driving me crazy so 250 deer later no more alarm and I'm happy.

I have a sea water temperature sensor on my 2008 also but it is nowhere near the trim system. W

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

I have a sea water temperature sensor on my 2008 also but it is nowhere near the trim system. W

It was a sea water sensor that was reporting -29C on 4 or so diagnostics they did. I wanted to take pictures of the report and send them to you so you could see for your self. I have the receipt but can't find the report. When I do I will send them on.

As far as it being by the trim unit .... I think that is what they told me.

Sort of having the same issue...2008 Mercruiser 350 Magnum with Smartcraft package.  Throws "engine sensor" code usually on first cold start, beeps a few times then stops, especially if I warm it up a little then turn the motor off for a few seconds then start it back up.  Last time out, it just kept beeping every 3 minutes or so and no way to shut it off.  Everything seems normal, engine runs fine.  Any ideas???  I do have someone coming out with a laptop to look at it and should know more after that but any guesses for now???  Thanks as always for the great advice on this site, you guys are awesome!

18 minutes ago, hjs1971 said:

Sort of having the same issue...2008 Mercruiser 350 Magnum with Smartcraft package.  Throws "engine sensor" code usually on first cold start, beeps a few times then stops, especially if I warm it up a little then turn the motor off for a few seconds then start it back up.  Last time out, it just kept beeping every 3 minutes or so and no way to shut it off.  Everything seems normal, engine runs fine.  Any ideas???  I do have someone coming out with a laptop to look at it and should know more after that but any guesses for now???  Thanks as always for the great advice on this site, you guys are awesome!

The link below will point you toward the conditions that will set an alarm every 2 minutes.  W

http://cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/editor/m1/512au5re9znf.pdf

Is there a way to tell which code it is off the digital display or does one have to hook up a computer to tell which code it is? My boat barely idles when cold, sometimes I even have to give it a little throttle (in neutral, of course) to get her to start right away, this all makes me wonder if it is the IAC since it seems to run fine when warmed up.

If you have an active alarm, you can look at the Smart Craft menu and select the "Active Alarm" screen and it will tell you where to start looking. I assume you are not getting an alarm, just a crappy cold idle condition. The ECM may be getting inaccurate engine temperature information from a out of spec coolant temperature sender and is setting the normal fuel map for an engine that is up to temperature instead of the rich idle setting for a cold engine. As you mentioned, it could be an IAC that has failed mechanically which would not set an alarm and could give you a lean idle condition, less noticeable on a hot engine. A tech can scan the inlet air temperature sensor input, MAP switch, engine coolant sensor output, and determine if they are telling the truth. Otherwise you are regulated to an ohm meter and the manual for your subject ECM. If you want to throw parts at the thing and take a chance, replace the engine coolant temperature sensor first as they are cheap, and maybe an IAC if the problem is still there. I'm not big on guessing.   W

When I press the active alarms, is says "engine sensor" and "1 of 1" above and to the right of the "engine sensor".  I just didn't know if there was a combination of buttons to push to see which code it is on the list. I'm assuming 1 of 1 doesn't necessarily mean cam sensor problem, which is number 1 on the list.

• 1 month later...
On June 28, 2016 at 9:57 PM, JDubs1 said:

Same here, same boat.  Just had 2 brand new engines installed and getting same code.  Now they are saying it might be the gauges on dash having compatibility issues

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Dannycars said:

Have a 2017 Chaparral with twin 350 6.2 Mercruiser. Every time I start it I get the same alarm on the vessel view.  

3A18EA32-1BC4-4D2C-9213-38990CCAB56D.jpeg

F857FC88-F64C-4FDA-879F-D0CCA6957D79.jpeg

Is your trim indicator gauge responding properly when you raise and lower the drive? W

My smartcraft vessel view mobile on my 2004 Sig 310 Bravo III 5.0 mpi port motor is showing 12.1 volts. My analog gauge shows 13.5, both my alternators show 14.7 at the big wire (the big wire is a little warmer on the port alternator than starboard)on the back of the alternator, with only one engine running charging both batteries and the batteries are showing 13.9 volts. My starboard vesselview mobile shows normal voltage. Before installing vesselview, every once in a while I would get an alarm on my port motor, analog gauges show everything normal, rev it up and the alarm turns off.  Does anyone know where smartcraft gets its voltage reading on the 2004 engines?

On 6/27/2016 at 9:57 PM, JDubs1 said:

Are you using deep cycle or "dual purpose" batteries?