UTCHAP

windless ?

After some great feedback from you guys on the forum. I purchased a 2006 285 SSI today. It has some minor work to be done to clean it up and one thing that it needs asap is an new anchor and rode. The previous owner let too much line out of his windless the last time he used it and lost his anchor. My boat has the Horizion 500 windlass on it. Does anyone know what size anchor, chain and rope I need. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

KInda funny that you posted this as I am in the same boat...no pun intended....

Everyone has recommended the Box Anchor.  I am sure that others will respond soon, but that's what I am going with.  

UTCHAP - I recently picked up a 285 as well.  I can't speak to the windlass portion but mine came with a 22 lb Lewmar Delta and it seems to be one size too big, largest portion of the shank can't pass through the loop on the bow roller.

Tagging this thread!

brirei - I found the right anchor size in the parts guide. I says the 285 ssi should have the Lewmar delta 14lb. I just can't seem to find what size rope and chain is needed.

The rope iis 1/2" braided.  I'll check on the chain today.  I think it's 1/4" galvanized.  I use 20 feet of chain.  

The line and chain is mainly based on the windless. I would to there site for recommendations and/or specs. 

I read somewhere that you should have chain the length of the boat.. I have 30 feet of chain with a plow anchor and it never fails.  Rope too of course.

I agree with Iggy, you need to contact the windless manufacturer to get the specs on the chain size. 

A box anchor would look real ugly hanging off the bow all the time.

I found the Horizon manual online and there is a chart that will tell you what type and size chain for your model. The type of anchor depends on your boat size and the type of bottom you will use it in, 

To the above post!!

What a beautiful building! Its too bad that boat is in the Pic too..................  

19 hours ago, Iggy said:

To the above post!!

What a beautiful building! Its too bad that boat is in the Pic too..................  

:D